I need help getting back on that wagon!

Options
So the last 2 days have been BAD. Friday night we went our for our anniversary dinner where I consumed much much wine and steak. Then yesterday, I was in hangover recovery mode and so of course chugged down lots of carbs and finished it off nicely last night with a 1000 calorie pizza. I'm so gutted, my weigh day is tomorrow and I just know that if I weigh myself and I have gained, I'll find it really hard to stay motivated. So, should I just forget about it, get back to my 1200 calories today, ignore weigh in this week and just move on? I can't do any exercise until tomorrow, so there's part of me that's tempted to eat very little today to make up for it although I know that's not necessarily good. Of course there's the other part of me that is thinking sod it, just carry on eating....... Hence I need your help!!!!! x

Replies

• Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    You already know the answer. One small blip makes no real difference in the scheme of things. So your weight loss takes a week longer. Big deal. BUT if you choose (and it is a choice) to let this spiral out to week or a month or... then it will become a problem.

Personally I'd weigh. Record a gain if there is one and accept that it happens and then get back on the wagon.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Do not just carry on eating!! Chalk it up to the last two says were bad, and you are getting back on track as soon as possible...if it were me, I'd skip the weigh in, drink plenty of water, and see where you are with the next one...good luck!!!
  • furrina
    furrina Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    When you successfully lose the weight you want by making the mainstay of your diet at whatever calorie level you need it to be, you'll look back and realize that those lapses DO NOT MATTER A SINGLE BIT, unless you use them as an excuse to bag the whole thing or binge in disgust. There's nothing wrong, of course, with eating very little the next day or whatever as long as you get proper nutrition. Because it evens out throughout the week. You could even look at it by calorie deficit per week, but that makes it much harder to follow. Anyway, you could eat far less for a few days, which helps, but even if you don't, just start right back at your 1200 calories the next day. Go to the weigh in. Suck it up if you've gained (it's good to keep track and keep the habit of weigh ins, and it will reassure you later that small gains don't mean all is lost) and keep right on going. I guarantee if you stick with the right amount OVERALL, you will lose the weight just fine, and occasional dietary travesties won't matter a bit.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    New day - clean slate. It's not like you have a special occasion and over-indulge all the time. Enjoy them when they come and get back to your normal routine when they're over.

Do your weigh in to see what kind of impact it had on you - you might be surprised. I used to have my weigh in on Mondays and even with going out and misbehaving over the weekend, I generally still saw a pretty good downward trend.
  • FITBY30
    FITBY30 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    hey snowy, weve all been there girl, you try so hard to make good decisions, but get swept up in the moment. anniversary dinner is the perfect storm, you wanna make it special and not worry about calories, but then ya put an emotional effect into the meal=romance and love when those should come AFTER the meal:blushing: honestly, ya know you didnt gain from your lil binge, i seriously doubt you ate over 3000 calories-so dont worry you didnt do damage. but with all the extra sugar and salt you are sure to be bloated, so if i were you i WOULD skip the weigh in, dont upset yourself anymore than you are=youll just wanna eat to feel better! i would start tomorrow off right-and eat as much whole foods as possible, fruit veggies grains seeds etc let your body recoup a lil after all the wine steak cheese etc. go for a long walk and clear your head so you can stop thinking about it and accept and move on. and next anniversary, plan a physical activity instead of dinner out:)good luck !
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    A lot of how you approach this depends on the kind of person you are. I can weigh myself after a bad couple of days and not get that discouraged about the fact that I might have gained a little weight, because I know it'll all come back off once I get back to eating right. However, if you are the kind of person who that will negatively effect then I say skip the weigh in tomorrow and just get back on track with eating the right amount of calories and continue with your weigh ins again next week. That's really all you can do. Don't let a couple of "bad" days ruin the progress you've made! I've gone over 2 days in a row as well and haven't had time to exercise, but I'm not letting that deter me. Sometimes we go over on calories and sometimes we backslide into old eating habits, but that's ok as long as we get back on track. I'm pretty sure a couple of days of "terrible" eating and drinking isn't going to ruin your progress. You'll be right back on track in no time. Don't give up! :smile:
  • SaraNiyah
    Options
    We all have bad days...and there is a wonderful 'saying' I stumbled upon:

I have no idea how to post images:P so I will give you links:
    http://iheartinspiration.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/diet-cheating.jpg

http://inspiredworlds.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/stairs-onstartups-21.jpeg

No progress is instant. In your way to your goal you will gain and lose weight.. the main thing is to keep doing it until you succeed...
    Weigh yourself tomorrow as it is your weigh day.. (but rather than weighting using a tape measure is better (weight can lie) one should be losing inches=) ) and if you did gain, take it as a highlight on your way... it is an example how bad diet is bad...this should be motivation big enough to not continue to eat such. Of course one can eat everything if it is done in 'healthy amounts'... Self control is the key. You can do it :)

You already lost 12 pounds... are you ready to throw this all away because of one bad eating weekend?
  • LozzieWebb
    LozzieWebb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It was your anniversary (congratulations!) - so you deserved to celebrate it and have a little more than you would normally :) You can't be 'good' every single day for the rest of your life - but you can keep more or less to the road that leads to your ultimate goal. Anniversaries, birthdays and days special to you deserve to be celebrated. Choose healthily/sensibly when you can - but don't beat yourself up when you go a little off track - it's only for a day (two max). Get back on it the next day - draw a line under the celebrations, drink plenty of water and eat your normal amount of calories for the day. If you try and reduce your calories you'll be more likely to binge.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?
  • LozzieWebb
    LozzieWebb Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?

:) Fantastic analogy - I've never heard this - but will remember it on my 'weak' days! x
  • snowy_sk
    snowy_sk Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much for all your replies. I feel more positive just by reading them. Infant, I put down the bread I was about to toast for breakfast and had a yoghurt instead! You're right, this wont make a difference overall unless I let it!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Been there - done that!!! I am at my goal weight and have binged every now and then. I know I am going to feel like crap the next day and that it will take 3 days to feel better. Yes, get back on food and exercise plan. You will probably gain on scale due to water weight gain from alcohol and salt in food.

This is your life!! You will do this every now and then. I have a wedding coming up in March and I KNOW I will drink and eat so... I am going to look forward to that as a goal for maintenance of my current weight.

Love the car analogy - remember that!!!
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are human just like the rest of us!
    We all have a glitch now and then.We are all here because we had that pattern all the time at least now you know it isn't the way you want to go.
    So........ dust yourself off and look forward not backwards.It's done, get back to it and move forward.Good luck.