stretch marks...all over?

Options
Ok, so Ive always had an issue with stretch marks. Got them as a kid and its just gotten really bad over the years.
I am literally covered, arms, chest, sides, stomach... none on my legs at least.. its terrible, im not exaggerating either, when i would change clothes during gym people would always stare.. i thought they would get less noticable the closer i reached my goal, but nope..
I guess i just want to know if there is anyone else who has this problem? I've lost 128 lbs so far and still have 40 to go.. i know its alot, but ive seen other stories of major weightloss... with hardly any marks.
I just dont understand... and its really effecting my self esteem...

I also have alot of excess skin, but i cant do much about that, I can only do walking or low impact exercise since im still recovering from spinal surgery, which drives me nuts lol Im really stuck guys...

Replies

• kjonno91
    kjonno91 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Urgh, I have a lot of stretchmarks too, not quite as much as you by the sounds of it, but stomach, legs and hips mainly. Mine have reduced in redness quite a lot since losing weight, I am surprised yours haven't - I thought they always just went from being red to silvery and only really noticeable in light and to the touch. If you don't already, rub moisturiser into them twice a day and that should help.

Yeah stretchmarks are a pain, but in the end it's just a case of living with them. Once you've reached your goal and toned up a little, they will be the last thing on your mind! Enjoy the weight you've lost and see your stretchmarks as a mark of that achievement. Most people really don't care about them in the end anyway, so don't spend your time letting it drive you mad - there's no need!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Seems to be different people get different results with them. You are young so once you hit your weight with some constant exercise, things should tighten up and stretch marks fade. But that I believe happens once your body catches up with all the loss and starts to tighten the loose skin and then heal the stretch marks.
  • desness
    desness Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It has actually lightened up on some areas, the one son my arms and chest arent as bad as they were, but the ones on my stomach and sides of my ribcage are just god aweful.. i dont put lotion on as much as i should, ill admit that, but i do use a moisturizing body lotion.

I know your right about that,i think whats been bothering lately is summer is coming, bikinis are popping up all over the place, and its just dawned on me that i might just reach my goal this year... ive never worn one but the thought terrifies me.. though i secretly wish i could.
  • desness
    desness Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Never thought of that vtmoon, good point!
  • kjonno91
    Options
    But that I believe happens once your body catches up with all the loss and starts to tighten the loose skin and then heal the stretch marks.

True!
  • kjonno91
    Options
    I know your right about that,i think whats been bothering lately is summer is coming, bikinis are popping up all over the place, and its just dawned on me that i might just reach my goal this year... ive never worn one but the thought terrifies me.. though i secretly wish i could.

Yeah it is a pain to keep doing it, I often forget/don't have time/patience, but it does help and encourage the skin cells to keep active (if that's the right way to put it!) by keeping the blood flow circulating in that area to promote healing.

And I have never worn a bikini either, scary thought! But like we've said, once you have been at your goal weight for a while and have been doing strength training and toning up, you will see a difference. To be honest, for summer clothes, loose skin is a bigger demon than stretch marks, but for both it's just a case of patience and often acceptance.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    It has actually lightened up on some areas, the one son my arms and chest arent as bad as they were, but the ones on my stomach and sides of my ribcage are just god aweful.. i dont put lotion on as much as i should, ill admit that, but i do use a moisturizing body lotion.

Count this summer as part of the weight loss changes. Now think of the next summer after you have hit your goal and your body had time to heal. Hell it's making me smile thinking of how great you will look (in a none creepy way :-P ) and how happy you will be wearing a two piece!
  • daydream_believer
    Options
    wow, first of all congrats on the amazing loss! thats incredible. i got strech marks on my butt, boobs and thighs when gained heaps of weight, however since weightloss they have lightened and become 'silvery' like kjonno said. i also have them on the back of my calves since my muscles there are really big and they bother me, however im hoping that they will fade with time. most people i know have stretch marks and i dont think of them as weird at all. hope for your sake and mine they do eventually fade! best wishes. x