Looking for your favorite brown rice recipes....

Options
So, I made the transition to whole wheat pasta years ago, and prefer it. But I am really struggling with brown rice. I've tried using it in my favorite white rice recipes, and it isn't quite the same, so I need some new brown rice recipes to break me in. Do you have a favorite main dish, side, or soup that uses brown rice? If so, please share!

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    brown rice. boil in excess water according to package directions. drain.

salt & pepper on mine. salt & pepper & olive oil on hubby's. salt & pepper & butter on kids.

also make just like spanish rice using any recipe you find online or how your family, friend, or housekeeper does it.
    also replace any and all white rice in a recipe with brown rice as per former excess water instructions.
  • rhonsal
    rhonsal Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love it in chinese style egg fried rice!

Cook the rice and allow it to go cold - then stirfry some beaten eggs, and put to the side. The stirfry mushrooms, spring onions and rice - add dash of soy, then re add eggs. Finish with small amount of sesame oil!

Calorie count depends on quantaties used, but is really filling - for more protein add some cooked chicken or prawns!

Yum!
  • mariapuhl
    mariapuhl Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I agree with the stirfry/fried rice idea.

I also make "homemade rice a roni" with mine a lot. Just add a little bit of chicken base to the water I'm cooking it in, or cook it in chicken broth (I use base because I like it saltier), add some oregano, rosemary, thyme, etc. and it's pretty good. You can also even add some little vermicelli's into it and then it REALLY is like rice a roni.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, unlike its white counterpart is nuttier and less starchy so less absorbant so I feel you really need to add extra flavour to make it a tasty meal.

My peronal brown rice fave:

Chicken & chorizo Jambalaya., sevres 4

2 skinless chicken breasts, chopped.
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 scotch bonnet chilli pepper, deseeded and finely chopped.
    2 tbsp cajun spice mix
    1 tsp ground turmeric
    1 tsp thyme
    1 green bell pepper, sliced
    1 red bell pepper, sliced
    6 vine tomatoes, cut into chunks.
    1.5 tsp pimenton/ smoked paprika
    1/2 a chorizo ring, chopped into cubes.
    250g (1 cup??) of uncooked brown rice.
    2 cups chicken stock/broth
    1 bunch chopped spring onions (green onions/scallions) white & green parts.
    Fresh lime juice & parsley to garnish.

Also- add any veggies you wish to bulk up the dish and add flavour. I reccomend courgette (zuchinni) peas, corn or broccoli.

Method:

1. brown the chicken, chorizo, garlic, chilli, peppers and cook for 5 mins.

2. Add the rice, spices & thyme and stir through.

3. Add the stock. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer. Season well and add any additional veggies.

4. Simmer for about 35-45 mins on low. Top up stock if you need to. After 25 mins add tomatoes.

5. Serve and sprinkle with scallions, parsley & lime juice.
  • Hwalsh0304
    Options
    That sounds delicious! Thank you!
  • Hwalsh0304
    Options
    I love it in chinese style egg fried rice!

Cook the rice and allow it to go cold - then stirfry some beaten eggs, and put to the side. The stirfry mushrooms, spring onions and rice - add dash of soy, then re add eggs. Finish with small amount of sesame oil!

Calorie count depends on quantaties used, but is really filling - for more protein add some cooked chicken or prawns!

Yum!

Ooo! I am going to possibly make this for supper Friday. Thank you!!
  • lee_ramsell83
    Options
    My fave;
    120g brown rice, 200g hot n spicy chicken breast strips, 2 chopped hard boiled eggs all chucked into a bowl with loads of black pepper and cayenne pepper - my post-gym meal!!
  • sanric1503
    Options
    Stuffed peppers (for 2!)

2 red peppers, halved length-wise and seeded (it bakes faster than whole peppers and is easier to eat)
    1/2lb ground turkey or beef
    1/2 c brown rice, cooked and room temperature (great when you have leftovers)
    1 carrot, diced
    1/2 medium onion, diced
    2 clove garlic, minced
    1 tomato, seeded and diced
    2T tomato paste
    1/4c shredded mexican blend cheese
    1T taco mix (I use more most of the time but adjust to your taste)
    2T chicken stock

Using pan (sprayed with cooking spray), sautee carrots and onion and cook until softened, Add the garlic, tomato paste, taco mix and salt to taste.
    Stir in the beef or turkey and cook until no longer pink. Stir in the tomato and chicken stock and cook until the tomatoes soften a bit.
    Stir the rice into the meat/veggie mixture until well incorporated. Take off heat and add all but 2 T. of the shredded cheese.
    Stuff pepper halves with mixture evenly, top with the remaining shredded cheese.
    Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until hot.

(The pepper will still have a good amount of crunch but not raw, if you want them soft, microwave the cut peppers for a minute and they should start out at the "blanched" stage)

Also, you may have more mixture to make another pepper or 2. Use your judgement with how much it should be stuffed. Each pepper is about 450 calories as instructed but if you split it out to 3 or 4, you can reduce the calories :)
  • patty1138
    patty1138 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Hwalsh0304
    Options
    Stuffed peppers (for 2!)

2 red peppers, halved length-wise and seeded (it bakes faster than whole peppers and is easier to eat)
    1/2lb ground turkey or beef
    1/2 c brown rice, cooked and room temperature (great when you have leftovers)
    1 carrot, diced
    1/2 medium onion, diced
    2 clove garlic, minced
    1 tomato, seeded and diced
    2T tomato paste
    1/4c shredded mexican blend cheese
    1T taco mix (I use more most of the time but adjust to your taste)
    2T chicken stock

Using pan (sprayed with cooking spray), sautee carrots and onion and cook until softened, Add the garlic, tomato paste, taco mix and salt to taste.
    Stir in the beef or turkey and cook until no longer pink. Stir in the tomato and chicken stock and cook until the tomatoes soften a bit.
    Stir the rice into the meat/veggie mixture until well incorporated. Take off heat and add all but 2 T. of the shredded cheese.
    Stuff pepper halves with mixture evenly, top with the remaining shredded cheese.
    Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until hot.

(The pepper will still have a good amount of crunch but not raw, if you want them soft, microwave the cut peppers for a minute and they should start out at the "blanched" stage)

Also, you may have more mixture to make another pepper or 2. Use your judgement with how much it should be stuffed. Each pepper is about 450 calories as instructed but if you split it out to 3 or 4, you can reduce the calories :)

I have most of these ingredients. Yummy! Thanks for sharing!
  • alijaxfp
    alijaxfp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One thing I've learned it to cook your rice with a little butter, oil or Pam first...saute it for a few minutes, then add your water or broth. It makes it less 'gummy'. I do this will all my rice now, and it has helped a lot!
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of rice pilafs that I eat cold for lunch, especially in the summer. Cook the rice anyway you like, all good suggestions above. You can also use wild rice and quinoa. Then add a few ingredients from the categories below:

Whatever vegetables you like, e.g. celery, carrots, onion, garlic, zuchinni, tomato, mushroom
    Nuts: especially sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds
    Throw in some beans if you want, especially good are chickpeas because they retain their texture.
    Add seasonings like salt, pepper, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon, lime, soy sauce, fresh herbs
    Dried fruit is good too, especially dried cranberries because of the tartness, raisins, and apricots. Fresh fruit is good too like apples, blueberries, strawberries.

One example, Mexican style: rice, carrots, onion, garlic, black beans, pumpkin seeds, tomatoes, fresh cilantro, lemon or lime juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, hot sauce/cayenne pepper. Ok, so no fruit in this one.

Something else yummy: wild rice, celery, onion, dried apricots, dried cranberries, cashews, pecans, blueberries, olive oil, a tiny splash of balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Another: brown and wild rice blend, boiled or roasted beets, celery, cucumber, walnuts, feta or gorgonzola cheese.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I find the flavor of brown rice makes gives this recipe more flavor. I used to make it with white rice, but I much prefer the brown now. This recipes is very flexible as far as what vegetables you use and how much you make, but this is how I make it at home:

Brown Rice
    Chicken bouillon
    minced garlic
    minced onion
    frozen vegetables

Follow directions for the brown rice on the box. (1 c water- 1 c rice....the variable is dependent on how many servings you want to make) with a little extra water (1/4-1/2 cup). Boil the water. Add chicken bouillon cubes to make broth (1 cube for 1 cup water, 2 for 2 cups, ect)....depending on what your tastes are, you might want to add an extra bouillon cube. Add minced garlic and onions (If I use dehydrated onions, I put in some extra water). Add frozen vegetables equal to the amount of rice you're going to add (I use frozen veggie blend of carrots, green beans, peas, corn and lima beans but you could use a stir fry mix, or just broccoli if that is what you like. This recipe is very flexible). Let return to steaming (veggies will cool water down considerably) when water is steaming but not quite boiling, add rice and return to boil....then, according to rice directions simmer for 5 minutes, sprinkle with some paprika, cover and let sit for 5 minutes. This makes a very nice vegetable rice pilaf of sorts that makes an excellent side or a nice reheatable lunch.

I call this one Mexican Chicken because it reminds me of a dish my almost Grandfather in law used to make in Texas...but it is really made with Cajun Seasoning. I'm trying to give you basic directions but just about everything I make is by taste. So you'll have to taste test often.

3 chicken breasts (cubed)
    Medium Onion, halved and sliced (you can do smaller of course)
    1 Red Pepper (seeds removed and sliced)
    1 Green pepper (seeds removed and sliced)
    1 Yellow pepper (I usually only use red and green) (seeds removed and sliced)
    jalapenos (you can get other peppers if you like it spicy) I have to mince these for my family, but you could just slice them up
    Cajun seasoning
    Garlic Salt
    Cayenne
    Salt and Pepper
    lemon juice (can be omitted)
    Chicken bouillon
    Brown Rice

In a deep frying pan, fry up some cubed chicken breasts (like 3)-I like small pieces but this is of course up to you. Add cajun seasoning (I use a lot....about 3 tablespoons maybe) a sprinkle of garlic salt (literally, a sprinkle!) and some cayenne (I like it hot so I use a teaspoon or more), and black pepper. Then, I add the onion and let it fry in the pan for a bit (almost caramelizing). Add peppers. Then add 1 cup broth made from chicken bouillon. Cover and let "steam" in the pan for 5 minutes. I like my vegetables soft, so I uncover and let the steam evaporate. This dish shouldn't be very "wet". And I add just a sprinkle of lemon juice towards the end of cooking. Make your brown rice (about 2 cups of dry rice....but use more or less to your taste). Now....there are two ways to serve this dish. The first time I had it, my sister put the chicken mix on rice and served it like that. I've flavored the water for the rice with cajun seasoning and chicken bouillon, and then added the rice to the veggies, mixed and eaten with a fork. OR instead of eating with a fork, you can eat it on tortillas with sour cream and cheese (but that all knocks the calories up). I like this really spicy, so you may have to tweak the recipe to meet your likes. The peppers, as they cook down, will change the flavor of this dish so add spices slowly and add more if you have to.
  • spngbob
    spngbob Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cook as indicated. Add dried cranberries,raisins, dried apricot, chopped nuts, spinach, ect. I've also cooled the rice and added chopped apples and oranges for something a little sweeter. Maybe mix in a little vanilla yogurt for something along the line of a rice pudding. Use you imagination.
  • rel12345
    rel12345 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iowatransplant
    iowatransplant Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • k_pattie
    k_pattie Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Last year I started making this rice pilaf like thing. It sounds like a lot of work but it's not - someone earlier posted about adding additional water to the rice and adding the frozen veggies to the same pan - wish I thought of that!

1 serving rice cooked with chicken bouillon
    1 cup frozen veggies (I like broccoli & cauliflower)
    1 scrambled egg, chopped into bits
    1 piece turkey or pork bacon, chopped into bits
    Fat free shredded cheese to taste

Make everything and toss together! The hot foods will melt the cheese and you get delicious gooeyness. Depending on where I'm at calorie wise, I'll scramble an egg white instead or toss out the bacon/cheese. I like my lunches to be more calorie laden, so this always worked for me and kept me full!
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    So, I made the transition to whole wheat pasta years ago, and prefer it. But I am really struggling with brown rice. I've tried using it in my favorite white rice recipes, and it isn't quite the same, so I need some new brown rice recipes to break me in. Do you have a favorite main dish, side, or soup that uses brown rice? If so, please share!

I actually love brown rice on its own but it depends entirely on how its cooked.
    Try using the absorption method and keep an eye on it so that it doesn't boil dry before its properly cooked. Include a pinch of salt with the water. The flavour is far superior to boiled rice in an over-abundance of water. The flavour is even better if brown rice is cooked using the absorption method in a pressure cooker.
    kind regards,

Ben