Vibration power plate

I was wondering if anyone's used one of these before? as im thinking about getting one so would like to know what benefits anyone's gotten from using one of these? like have they helped with weight loss, toning, skin etc

Replies

• Louise1247
    Louise1247 Posts: 670 Member
    My old fitness trainer hated them, says they werent all that good. Never tried it myself tho
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Get an elliptical instead! Waste of time and money!
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    They're absolutely ridiculous when sold for the most common purpose; "weight loss and toning."

I use one for my arthritis and it's fabulous, but it has made absolutely no difference to my physique. Why? Because YOU'RE JUST STANDING THERE, VIBRATING!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,032 Member
    Stuff like this, I figure - if it is so amazing, why aren't they in every gym?
  • AngelUK1985
    AngelUK1985 Posts: 84 Member
    my gym has 3 of them also im getting a rowing machine but i work 2 jobs and i also try and have a social life so i don't have alot of time to do much exercise.
  • TheKatnav
    TheKatnav Posts: 16 Member
    I use them after a run and I think they help me to not ache the next day. I also do some pilates type stretches on them. But I dont think you can just stand on them and hope for a miracle, may as well sit on the washing machine, cheaper too.
  • jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    My gym has 2. I tried it once never again.....oh my goodnes motion sickness!! I almost fell off, felt sick all the way home, nope not for me!!
  • ashleab37
    ashleab37 Posts: 575 Member
    my gym has 3 of them also im getting a rowing machine but i work 2 jobs and i also try and have a social life so i don't have alot of time to do much exercise.
    Well it's your choice what level of priority you want to put on your health.

It's simple though; if vibration plates worked to lose weight/tone up, why would anyone be fat? If it doesn't feel like work, then it's not a workout!
  • AngelUK1985
    AngelUK1985 Posts: 84 Member
    there's 2 different types you can get i cant use the ones at the gym they blur my vision and they are so rattly its like being on a bad roller coaster but i have tried one at the sunbed shop to and that was better thats the type i was going to get and when i came off it i felt like i had alot more energy.
  • cmjohnson89
    cmjohnson89 Posts: 2 Member
    I tried one out for 3 sessions at a local outlet and found it awful. All it seemed to do was rattle my brain which gave me a headache after each use, and on the 3rd and final session my back went too. Would not use again! I now jog/run on my treadmill in the garage - much better.
  • chicco57
    chicco57 Posts: 298
    I use them after a run and I think they help me to not ache the next day. I also do some pilates type stretches on them. But I dont think you can just stand on them and hope for a miracle, may as well sit on the washing machine, cheaper too.

agreed!
  • TheWidget
    TheWidget Posts: 13 Member
    From discussions I've had with gym instructors and from reading online, is that they can help stimulate more muscle fiber when doing exercises that don't tax your strength, i.e. exercises that you otherwise easy. Of course, you could just do exercises you find hard, and save on the expense. I think they're most suited to people with joint problems, or recovering from other injures, that prevent them from doing the more difficult (and rewarding) exercises. If you just stand on them, then you're wasting your time, as that doesn't qualify as even light exercise. You still need to be moving!
  • iheartaya
    iheartaya Posts: 26 Member
    I do the power plate three times a week for thirty minutes with a trainer, and have definitely seen results!

Of course I don't just stand on it - I do push ups, leg stretches, plank etc. whilst on or half on the machine. The high intensity vibrations help you to stabilize your core and all your muscles whilst doing the exercises - the theory is that you engage far more of your muscles whilst exercising, therefor burning more calories etc.

In my first thirty days of doing powerplate (and the machine where you get electric pads strapped onto you whilst it works your mussels for you) - I lost 6kg and 10cm from my waist and hips each. After about two weeks of power plating and "pad-ing" I started adding some circuit training and moderate cycling.

I do know also, that there are many different machines on the market claiming to be a "power-plate" - which DO NOT work. They are a fraction of the price and do not vibrate at a high enough frequency, so you will just feel rattling and not get the benefits of a PROPER power plate. The real power plate costs about R100 000, I heard. Although going for sessions is not too expensive, and you get a trainer along with it (well, here anyway).

My body fat has also come down by 5% over the last couple of months. And I owe this ALL to starting out slowly on power-plate and pad-machine.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member

You have as much time as the rest of us. No more- no less.

It's just a matter of what's more important to you. I work 3 jobs and spend a lot of time with my dance friends and going to dance events- I get a little socializing in at the gym because I'm there all the time- otherwise I'm at home alone.

Like someone else said- it's about priorities. But I can promise you there are no short cuts or quick fixes, the only way to get real and significant results is dedicated hard work- and time.

And if you aren't willing to do that- you have to accept that you've chosen that path. Don't make excuses for yourself- just accept that it isn't that important to you. And be okay with that.