Does this sound gross or good to you?

Options
raleigh
raleigh Posts: 87 Member
I have been thinking about this idea for a while- tell me if you think it sounds gross or like it could pass.

pita bread pizza base
marinara sauce
***cottage cheese for cheese***

Replies

• Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Yuck, sorry. You'll never know until you try it though.
  • mmshburn
    mmshburn Posts: 2
    Options
    That sounds good. you can add olives and/or feta cheese for a Greek touch!

1179202.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    sounds fine to me you can use cottage cheese in lasagna why not pizza
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Try mixing some cottage cheese with tomato sauce before you spread it on a pita. I just like my cottage cheese cold. :)
  • abursey1
    abursey1 Posts: 36
    Options
    I think it sounds yummy!!!
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I like cottage cheese, but It doesn't really appeal to me as a pizza topping.

That being said, give it a shot and let us know how it turns out. :)

When we make homemade pizza, we just use a minimum amount of mozzarella.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I use pitas as crusts all the time, I just use a little pizza sauce and very little low fat mozzarella and top with veggies and chicken.
  • raleigh
    raleigh Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I did it! it was really good. since i use really small pitas, i made 2 pizzas: one was pita, sauce, cottage cheese and that was very good, the second one i topped with a bit of shredded mozzarella additionally on top. I just microwaved them and the cottage cheese actually melted a little bit.

The pizza didnt have the overwhelming cheese flavor, but I feel very satisfied! some people might want to put on some mushrooms, garlic, olives, or spices but I don't mind things bland sometimes.

If you like pizza and also if you like cottage cheese, i encourage you to try this out!
  • Mirlyn
    Mirlyn Posts: 256
    Options
    Going to try this tomorrow on a half of a sandwich thin for lunch! Thanks for the idea :).
  • sunnyskys
    sunnyskys Posts: 43
    Options
    actually a very old Weight Watchers recipe is 2 tbscottage cheese on a slice of whole wheat bread toasted in the oven till the cheese is brown and bubbly. they suggest adding tomatoes and other diced veggies as toppings. 2 slices is a serving

I have had this many time just plain, my kids love it, my hubby loves it, I love it, it is a great snack, or a breakfast with fruit on side,
    or a light lunch with a side salad.

Enjoy!
  • tzipporah
    tzipporah Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    maybe draining the cottage cheese beforehand would help? then it wouldn't be watery when you put it on and it might melt better? tastes good in enchiladas, i'd try it with pizza
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Growing up, my friend's grandma made delicious ground beef casserole that called for cottage cheese. The cottage cheese melted and became creamy and, kind of, cheesy. I've lost the recipe and cant' seem to get the same creamy/cheesy effect. I imagine that the amount of fat in the cottage cheese changes the consistency. I think I'll try your cottage pizza idea!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Sounds good, I may have to try that!
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the cottage cheese. I had a talk with a dietician and she suggested not totally cutting out anything. She said that a little of the "good quality" foods is not a bad thing, the trick is the quantity. According to her it is better to have a "little" good ice cream or cheese than to have poor quality and feel deprived. I would load it up with veggies and lightly sprinkle cheese on top.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I dont know about the cottage cheese. I had a talk with a dietician and she suggested not totally cutting out anything. She said that a little of the "good quality" foods is not a bad thing, the trick is the quantity. According to her it is better to have a "little" good ice cream or cheese than to have poor quality and feel deprived. I would load it up with veggies and lightly sprinkle cheese on top.

I'm with ya on the little bit of something "good". Plus cottage cheese pizza doesn't sound good to me. I like cottage cheese by its self with a little pepper on top and that's the only way I like it
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    While I like cottage cheese with fruit, I have to say I don't like the idea of it on a pizza but I am Italian through and through and more traditional in that area, lol. But, what about fat-free ricotta, passed through a strainer?
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me.

Of course, I regularly do some of these things :

http://www.stumptuous.com/the-cottage-cheese-page

so, you might not want to listen to me.

I dump it into some whole wheat pasta with marinara all the time...it's like lasagna.
  • mrst0503
    mrst0503 Posts: 24
    Options
    The cotttage cheese sounds ify.... Try monsarella. Or pinta cheese...
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    monsarella = mozzarella?
    pinta = ??
  • savannah63
    savannah63 Posts: 15
    Options
    LOL I HATE cottage cheese! BUT...isn't lasgna ( which I love) made with cottage cheese?:smile: so who knows...try it!