Food diary calorie counts don't add up? Why?

Options
When I view some people's food diaries and add up their meal totals it often does not add up to what their daily total is displaying. This is the number before exercise calories are deducted. What's up with that? Can you hide part of your logged entries?? I don't think that's it since some of the entries I've been able to see have not always been the healthiest choices. I don't get it. :ohwell:

Replies

• juliesmithdiet
    Options
    Not everyone eats up to their daily allowance and some eat over it I guess.

I never eat my allowance as I believe it is set too high and know my own body best, no setting for disabled people who can't move around much some days.
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I noticed that too and I think it's when people re-name their meals to say: brunch, supper etc. If that person has a meal heading that doesn't match the ones you have, you don't see it when you look at their diary, so it looks like they've only eaten a small amount of cals in the day instead of what it says in their totals. I think it's some kind of glitch. You'll notice when people are just set up as "Breakfast", "lunch" and "dinner" you can see all of their entries.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

I never eat my allowance as I believe it is set too high and know my own body best, no setting for disabled people who can't move around much some days.

No no. I'm not talking about their daily goal. At the top of the diary log there are 4 numbers. Goal, food, exercise, and net. Food= the calories eaten on that day. That number is often higher than the number I get if I add up each meal they had. Sometimes bu hundreds of calories. Trying to understand why this is
  • Ultragirl2374
    Options
    I noticed that too and I think it's when people re-name their meals to say: brunch, supper etc. If that person has a meal heading that doesn't match the ones you have, you don't see it when you look at their diary, so it looks like they've only eaten a small amount of cals in the day instead of what it says in their totals. I think it's some kind of glitch. You'll notice when people are just set up as "Breakfast", "lunch" and "dinner" you can see all of their entries.

I don't think it's that either :(. The logs I'm talking about are the standard breakfast , lunch, dinner, snack :ohwell:
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    They may have other "hidden" headings though - "treats", "extras" - anything like that, and because you don't have those you can't see what they're logging underneath them if that makes sense.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Are you viewing their diaries through the APP version of MFP?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking at other peoples diaries and adding all their meals together? What's the point?
  • jsan5933
    Options
    its different to when you view it on your computer vs when you view it on your iphone - i have noticed that too. the web version has all their meals. when people add meals or rename then - for example, i have breakfast, snack 1, lunch, snack 2, dinner, supplements / snack 3. (Yes I eat all day) and people can't see mine on the app
  • Ultragirl2374
    Options
    They may have other "hidden" headings though - "treats", "extras" - anything like that, and because you don't have those you can't see what they're logging underneath them if that makes sense.

Ahhhh!!!! Okay!!! Maybe that's it ! Thanks!! :)
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    This happens to me too. I've found out that if people log foods on their computer I can't c all their foods that make up the total of their calories..I do mine thru app and when someone else does thru same app I can see all their foods. I think if they do thru different android app I have same problem there as well. I only found this our cos someone commented on a friends lunch but I couldn't see lunch and yet when I added their cals it didn't add up to daily total. So I logged onto safari and could then c their lunch and where extra cals were..
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Why are you looking at other peoples diaries and adding all their meals together? What's the point?

This is what I thought too...

And also exactly why I keep mine private! People take things like this too far sometimes.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Options
    Because when it looks like they've logged 800 calories for a whole day I think "what are you doing?" And then I look at their daily total it says they've eaten 1500+ calories I think "how's that possible??"
  • Ultragirl2374
    Options
    This happens to me too. I've found out that if people log foods on their computer I can't c all their foods that make up the total of their calories..I do mine thru app and when someone else does thru same app I can see all their foods. I think if they do thru different android app I have same problem there as well. I only found this our cos someone commented on a friends lunch but I couldn't see lunch and yet when I added their cals it didn't add up to daily total. So I logged onto safari and could then c their lunch and where extra cals were..

Thank you!! That could be it too!
  • khall86790
    Options
    Because when it looks like they've logged 800 calories for a whole day I think "what are you doing?" And then I look at their daily total it says they've eaten 1500+ calories I think "how's that possible??"

This just sounds like it's because their exercise has been taken off of the total.
  • Ultragirl2374
    Options

And also exactly why I keep mine private! People take things like this too far sometimes.

How's it taking things to far???? I view diaries to see how others structure their meals to learn from them and get meal ideas. When I am viewing a MFP friend's diary who has completed their diary for the day and they've only a few hundred calories logged but their daily total is much higher I wonder why. That's all.
  • khall86790
    Options

How's it taking things to far???? I view diaries to see how others structure their meals to learn from them and get meal ideas. When I am viewing a MFP friend's diary who has completed their diary for the day and they've only a few hundred calories logged but their daily total is much higher I wonder why. That's all.

It's a good idea to get meal ideas, etc. but to be adding up people's daily calories, etc. when the diary gives you a view of it and/or individuals for meals if you are just taking ideas, I just find it a little much that's all.
    There is no need to get defensive, I'm entitled to my opinion as are you.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I am glad to learn that logging into MFP (vs) using an App log for MFP does not provide complete calorie count and foods eaten. When I share with my MFP pals we have our food logs open for sharing. We can ask questions, make suggestions, receive input for each other, see new food ideas ( exchange recipes), and so on.

Without the knowledge of both Nutrition and Exercise, you can not make the most informed suggestion or have an answer for your MFP pals when they need help.

It’s understandable how we may not appreciate unsoliticed advice or comments from people who are not our MFP “pals"
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

Also..I made the gaff a saying to the person "no lunch?" ONLY because they regularly eat lunch (and they rib me about lack of breakfast :) ) and it was unusual...they said they had and I wondered why I couldn't see it on my phone then ...was my app playing up. Someone suggested I synchronize again but that didn't work. I don't necessarily count the cals but I did when I realized
    something was up. Now I'm careful to not repeat my gaff! If a day seems unusually sparse I total the calories and it's always missing foods. It annoys me sometimes cos I feel I miss out on a terrific day unless I go through the hassle of using safari. Can I comment "great day" if I can't see all the food? Are they going to think I'm stupid cos I missed a 1000 cal half a cheesecake?
  • Ultragirl2374
    Options

It's a good idea to get meal ideas, etc. but to be adding up people's daily calories, etc. when the diary gives you a view of it and/or individuals for meals if you are just taking ideas, I just find it a little much that's all.
    There is no need to get defensive, I'm entitled to my opinion as are you.

I totally agree that we are entitled to our opinions. And I really was not getting defensive. I wasn't going out of my way to microanalyze people's diaries. Trust me I've got better to do with my time. However when I noticed a gross miscalculation in what is being displayed it made me wonder why.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I realize this is a bit off topic, so apologies OP. But I did want to say that I am disabled and stay at home, I'm don't do much. I have chronic fatigue syndrome among other things. But I actually burn more calories than MFP estimated for me. So you don't necessarily have to cut more just because you're disabled. I'd at least try it with the MFP number and see how it goes. Just my 2 cents.