how to exercise working nightshift

Options
I'm a nurse and work 12hr shifts on nights. I am finding it difficult with a consistent workout schedule. It seems that when I wake up I just want to zombie on the couch til I have to go back to work (even though I know I'd feel better if I went to work out). On by nights off I play catch up with so much other stuff I have a hard time as well. What do other night shifters do to remain consistent?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm curious why it has anything to do with what shift you work. Isn't this the same issue most people who work long days or have busy schedules deal with?
  • peza2605
    Options
    i work nights too, i just go to gym mon wed fri straight after work and i find it strangely relaxing. when im at work i eat the same things as well. i try to keep a worknight and night off routine.i couldnt do a workout when i wake up though, although maybe it would be better. i wake around 5 hours before work and some nights end up going back to bed for a nap because my head is " foggy" and i cant relax anyway. ive been doing nights 8 years.
  • thedescentofhope
    thedescentofhope Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    No, it's very hard for the body to adapt to working @ night , sleeping during the day. Not too mention the noise & light that is present during the day which are absent @ night. I'd workout 2 hours before your shift, shower, eat & get to work. You'll be tired the first few days, thereafter you will feel powered up & ready for the day.
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    You just have to pick a schedule and stick to it. I am usually too lazy to get up early and so I usually go workout on my way home from work, and consider my work part of my work schedule.

Mike
  • peza2605
    Options
    as mhalleymd says, i consider gym as part of my work.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    My job consists of shifting from days to nights every few months. I work a 12 hour schedule, 5:30 till 5:30, two on two off, and I still find time to get to the gym. If I work nights I get up 2 hours earlier and get there. If I work days, I go after work. If you want it bad enough you will find a way....everything else is only an excuse. "I'm too tired."--an excuse. "I work long days."--an excuse. If you want this bad enough then you will give up sleep to get it. Pick a schedule and stick to it. MAKE YOURSELF GO! There might be days where you are dragging you leg behind you because you are so tired, but guess what...eventually it gets easier, and easier, and easier.
  • peza2605
    Options
    I'm curious why it has anything to do with what shift you work. Isn't this the same issue most people who work long days or have busy schedules deal with?

i think its to do with the sleep pattern, on m y nights off i try not to waste my daytime by sleeping but it makes me worse in a wat.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    im a shift worker too. not sure how your schedule works, but i work 7 days a pay period, 12 hr shifts (days and nights rotate). when im off, im working out. when im on nights, i wake up in the morning, eat, digest, and then work out. on days, i try to work out at least 2 of my 3 shifts. since i dont like carrying a million bags with me and i live close to the gym, i come home and IMMEDIATELY put on my gym clothes, get a snack if needed- and go.

reading all of the responses- its definitely preference- based.
  • dylsmom99
    dylsmom99 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    im an er rn working nights as well.. i know how frustrating it is to lose a whole day on working back to back days.. or having a day off and being wide awake at night,,,, I can't put a good workout in when i get home in the morning because i m just oo exhausted.. I work 7-730 am.. home by 830 in bed by 9,, up around 3,,, gym from 4-530, shower eat go to work,, working out before work seems to be a bit invigorating. On my days off I hit the gym at 5 am because I'm used to being up all night so i hit it as early as i can... They do say working our shift takes 10 years off our lives but dammit Im gonna fight that 10 if it kills me.
  • YoYo1951
    YoYo1951 Posts: 370
    Options
    read up on your circadian rhythm. Shiftwork, although needed in so many fields is horrible on your natural clock. I did my thesis on shiftwork. The best advise I can give is to stick to the same schedule every day, even on your days off. It will help reset your body clock. You can not get off that shift in order to spend time with your family or friends, etc, as it will jack you up. That is why you are feeling groggy all day. You are confusing your body. Read about it, very interesting. Good luck