I'm just getting really infuriated.

Options
I've been eating healthier and exercising since January 28,2013 and it's like...I lost four pounds, then gained four pounds. And then lost five pounds then gained three pounds and I feel like I do see any change.
My doctor wants me to lose 1-2 pounds a month and lose 24 pounds this year.
AND I say I want to lose at least 3 pounds a month and I'm getting irritated because I'm being healthier but I feel like nothing is changing and I'm feeling really impatient.
And it's really annoying being in college and everyone is eating really delicious sugary processed fatty foods and drinking and stuff and I'm just sitting in my dorm crying as I eat grapes as dessert. I wanna eat pizza and drink beer. AAHHH!
It's driving me insane.
I worked out for an hour today and it didn't feel like anything. I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything.
My #1 motivation is that I don't want to develop diabetes. But I'm just really irritated.
I am hangry (hungry angry).
Is there something I can do differently to speed up this process? I wanna be healthy and lose weight, but I want to lose weight at a steady pace. Not like, oh. I'm up 4, down 3, up 5, down 2.
This sucks >:I

Replies

• turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    how often are you weighing and how much are you eating?
  • turtlefitnessdad
    turtlefitnessdad Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    please note, i said how much are you eating, not what are you eating. There is a huge difference. You can eat whatever you want, absolutly whatever you want, you just can't eat a lot of it.
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Are you logging everything, so there aren't hidden calories in there you aren't counting?

1) Measure! Measure your waist, hips, arm, thigh, etc. You may start seeing results on the measuring tape and how your clothes fit before you see what you want on the scale.

2) When you weigh, do it at the same time of day. Weight can fluctuate a huge amount within a day due to digestion, water retention, etc. Seriously, I weigh 2-4 pounds more at night than in the morning (yes, I'm a scale junkie), but that's not fat.

3) Be patient! You started on Jan. 28. It's Feb. 16. That's just under three weeks, and you've lost (if I've followed the ups/downs right) TWO POUNDS. That's great for just getting started!! Sometimes people post here that they've been working hard for a month with no results yet, but it comes.

4) Find healthy food you really like so you don't feel deprived. Speaking for myself, if I start feeling sorry for myself the healthy eating goes out the window pretty quickly. You can allow yourself small portions of "bad" food if you can control the portions and fit those calories into your day's goal.

It's so hard to be patient, but you ARE making progress. Keep at it!

Edit to add: if you're really hungry, you may not be eating enough. No need to starve yourself to lose weight, play with the number of calories you eat per day until you are rarely hungry (or irritable) but are still losing.
  • ClareRae
    ClareRae Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Try not to get so discouraged. It's hard, and you're just getting started. Also, it takes a while for new habits to kick out old ones, so don't give up on it.
    Also, how often are you weighing yourself? Maybe set a day, once a week or so, to "weigh in." Wright it down, but don't get too shook up about it. It's going to fluctuate a bit. The important thing is to look at the big picture. 5 lbs lost, then 2 gained is still a 3 lb loss. Maybe you've retained some water. Don't get too flustered over it or it will bring you down.
  • allforthethrill
    allforthethrill Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been eating healthier and exercising since January 28,2013 and it's like...I lost four pounds, then gained four pounds. And then lost five pounds then gained three pounds and I feel like I do see any change.
    My doctor wants me to lose 1-2 pounds a month and lose 24 pounds this year.
    AND I say I want to lose at least 3 pounds a month and I'm getting irritated because I'm being healthier but I feel like nothing is changing and I'm feeling really impatient.
    And it's really annoying being in college and everyone is eating really delicious sugary processed fatty foods and drinking and stuff and I'm just sitting in my dorm crying as I eat grapes as dessert. I wanna eat pizza and drink beer. AAHHH!
    It's driving me insane.
    I worked out for an hour today and it didn't feel like anything. I feel like I'm not accomplishing anything.
    My #1 motivation is that I don't want to develop diabetes. But I'm just really irritated.
    I am hangry (hungry angry).
    Is there something I can do differently to speed up this process? I wanna be healthy and lose weight, but I want to lose weight at a steady pace. Not like, oh. I'm up 4, down 3, up 5, down 2.
    This sucks >:I

I learnt the hard way to not just take what the scales say as the defining factor as to whether or not I lost anything, that day, week, month. etc. Body weight fluctuates depending on how much water you're retaining, waste. etc.
    Initially I didn't workout and had a steady loss, but hardly any body change.. Once I started exercising the scales fluctuated like crazy, BUT I was shrinking more and more each week.
    Do remember that muscles retain water to repair after working out. For a more accurate way of knowing if you're heading in the right direction make sure to measure yourself!

Stick with it and drink plenty of water!
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Remember you aren't on the Biggest Loser! We all hope that we'll step on the scale after a week and poof we will be down 10lbs but it's never going to happen! It sounds like your doctor is looking for 2 pounds a month which is ABSOLUTELY reasonable and the best way to lose weight - you're likely to keep it off and you're much less likely to develop tons of loose skin.

If after 4-6 weeks, you evaluate your weight loss and find you aren't on track - which would be 2-3lbs!!! - then reevaluate your diet. Not all "diets" work for all people. First off, you have to remember that you will need to change the way you eat and think about food forever in order to keep the weight off. That doesn't mean NEVER having a slice of pizza - it means you can't eat a half a pizza or have pizza 3 days a week. Some of us have trigger foods. These are foods you must stay away from 99% of the time or you will end up eating a whole bag of chips or eating 3 candy bars or eating a whole pound of spaghetti...whatever because you had one bite. You may not have this problem and if you don't that's good for you!!!!! But if you do don't listen to the people who say you should eat whatever you want because this obviously is not an issue for them.

If you are hungry it's because one of 2 things is happening: you are either not eating enough food or you are not eating the right kinds of food! Now getting the right kinds of food is a real challenge in college, esp if you're living on campus. Now I was a proponent of the "all things in moderation" diet. I'm not telling you to go out and follow my plan, but I am advising you to do some research on your own. I went from 75% processed food diet to 90% whole food or real food diet. I did this back at the beginning of January and it has been a miracle for me. I have significantly decreased my hunger and barely have any cravings anymore!!!! I don't struggle to stay below my calories everyday like I used to. This has actually been a secondary benefit for me....I stopped eating processed foods because I did not want to ingest all the chemicals anymore. Like I said, it's not for everyone and if you live on campus, you might find it difficult to do, but I just wanted to share it as a possibility especially if you're struggling with hunger.

Good luck and stick with it!!!!!
  • daross16
    daross16 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself usually on Saturday or Sunday.
    I ate breakfast, felt full. Then I worked out awhile later and got really hungry so I ate and then I wasn't full but I didn't feel like I needed to eat anything else because I felt satisfied. And then my roommate and I had dinner and I was like, "I am so full I am going to pass out." And now it's 1am and I'm not tired, but I'm hungry. Sooo I snacked on a bunch of grapes, had water am I just still feel like, "Ugh. I want sushi."
    I'm logged in every single thing I ate today ;__;
    I just wanna eat junk and watch Law and Order and never exercise.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Im just going to respond with dot points because it will be easier.

1) When you are up late you will be hungry. If I have to be up late I try to drink some coke zero or pepsi max energy which tricks my body into thinking that its not hungry (probbably due to artificial sweeteners and caffeine) without stacking on the calories.

2) junk food craving will eventually pass (eventually), until then you have to just use willpower, its easier if you just dont buy it (I have 6 kids so we have a lot of crap in the house, I no longer have cravings to eat that, although I do still have pretty bad cravings for eating their leftover rice, pasta and potato's )

3) Sushi is not _that_ bad for you (since ive started eating lunch every day its pretty much sushi. I normally get sushi from woolworthths near my work ( www.sushiginza.com.au ) which contains nutritional info. so I can hit 300->500 cal for lunch without going over. )

3) if in australia try kangaroo instead of beef, its really f***ing cheap ($8 for 1 kilo/2 pounds) and its numbers are almost too good to be true. (high protein, almost no fat, pretty low calorie) a few weeks ago I came up with a chilli recipie that came in at under 700 cal and ended up being almost a kilo of food. (and may or may not have had over 100g of protein)

4) plan exercise and food together, if you are going to eat lots of carbs try hit the gym about 30 minutes after you finish eating those carbs, also plan your sleep. dont eat too close to sleep time either.

5) once you get used to eating at a certain level then you will struggle to up your calories. (I did this week when I went up from 1440 to 1850.)

6) water weight can be pretty serious, keeping your sodium (aka salt) down stops your body clinging to it.

7) are you weighing yourself at the same time each weigh in (and also naked when you do so). I go after my morning pee and get pretty consistant results.
  • rsaeedi
    Options
    I know it must be irritating, but just keep going, the weight will come off. Your doctor shouldn't have told you to lose weight consistently, because it's impossible to plan with no room for error. Believe me, I have dozens of paper scraps with weight loss projections that never work out. But, just work out, try to eat clean, and if you crave something, then let yourself have a little! Don't go overboard, but a little treat here and there never hurts, and it also makes it easier for you to sustain your diet.
    Also, find snacks and foods that you actually enjoy eating. There are a lot of 100-calorie pack sweet snacks on the market these days. Every once in a while, if everyone around you is eating sugary foods and you think you're going to break, be prepared! That way, you can go grab something that fits your routine, and eat it, and feel just as satisfied (if not more, because imagine how you'd feel if you were exercising and watching what you ate and then you binged!).
    Also, someone said it before, but you started just three weeks ago. That's nothing. If you make this a lifestyle change, if you keep doing it, I can promise you that 6 months from now, you'll be so happy you kept up with a healthy lifestyle. It takes time. It's not a short-term kind of a thing, think about all those years you spent gaining the weight, give your body enough time to lose it in a healthy way.
    I've been doing this for almost a year now, and there are still times that I just want to stuff myself with food, I don't think that relationship with food will ever really go away. But, at the same time, you have to respect your body, and love your body. What you're doing for yourself right now is amazing. You wont be sorry. Just keep going
  • rsaeedi
    Options
    Also, watch the amount of salt you're eating. If you have a high sodium intake the night before you weigh yourself, it could easily alter your weight. Also, keep the scale in the same place. My scale is a little faulty, and I think my floors a little slanted, so if I move my scale around my weight will go up and down. It's sort of annoying, so just keep it in the same place. Weigh yourself in the morning before you eat anything.
    Drink a lot of water! Stay away from those sports drinks because they have added sodium. If you need flavoring for water, there is a really good electrolyte powder called "Ultima Replenisher." The orange flavor is super yummy and I think its like 15 calories for a spoon!
    Also, PB2 is delicious and a low-calorie, all natural peanut butter powder you mix with water. Luna Bars are a great snack, especially if you're craving something sweet. Also, agave syrup is a good natural sweetener, with yogurt and fruit! Mmmm, its delicious!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. I am scale obsessive but have learnt not to let it get me down. For example, I drank loads of water yesterday plus tea etc. On the scales I weighed 103.3 kg. This morning it was back down to 102.1 kg and has been averaging around 102kg all week. I only log my weight loss when it has been consistent over two weeks as I am never certain on a day to day basis!

It is very possible and achievable for you to lose that amount of weight in a year. However, your doctor was wrong to say to lose a certain amount each week, it really does not work that way. Time of the month (TOM), going to a party and eating salty food etc, all this can have a temporary weight gain. Watch your sodium levels and do drink plenty of water. it does make a difference. Good luck!