advice please??

Options
i've been cutting down my portions and exercising for 3 weeks now .. the first week i lost 7lb , the second week i lost 7lb, the third week(( this week)) i have increased exercise and the scales say i've put on a 1lb ... how can that be??
i have put in 110% this week in execise .. im a bit dishearterned !!
i wish i had a tape measure .. and i need new scales as mine are acient .. any advice please??

Replies

• ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    How is your sodium? It could be water retention from sodium, or it could be water retention from your workouts. Either way, it's probably not real weight gain. Just up your water intake and wait a week.
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    14 pounds in two weeks is pretty agressive - it could be your body just needed to adjust. Don't let that discourage you - this is a marathon, not a sprint. You'll lose, you'll gain, you'll plateau - just be patient and experiment to see what works for you!
  • sarah197436
    Options
    thanks for your advice ... as to sodium i put a little bit of salt in my veg & potato's and stews ect .. but i dont put it on my food when its on my plate so i dont use that much i dont think ??
    im confused with uping my water intake ?? how can that make me loose ?
  • AllergicToExercise
    AllergicToExercise Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    14lbs in 3 weeks is a massive loss, try to look at it that way. Sometimes things just even out over a space of time. Also many people find their muscles hold on to water when they first start exercising and that can cause a temporary gain.
  • sarah197436
    Options
    well either way i've got to keep trying .... i know i will get there :)
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

I noticed when looking at your diary two main things. One is that you are very low on calories on some days. You really need to try to get near your goal every day. Eating very low calories will make your body hang on to all it can as it does not know when it will get enough to function properly. Second thing is that you eat a lot of ready made sauces and packet things. These tend to be very heavy on salt content for taste. You can adjust your diary settings to track your sodium to keep a check on this, it may help.

With regard to the drinking water. I know that if you have a lot of sodium in your diet it helps to flush it away. My salt intake is actually too low, but I know that drinking lots of water does help. Someone may be able to explain it better than me, but my body does retain a lot of water due to weight lifting, drinking plenty of water makes your body release more of that water somehow. There is often debate on the forums about 'what counts as water?' but I can personally say that just pure water does work for me, whereas lots of cups of tea does not, so I stick with water.

You have done really well losing 14lbs and as others say this is quite aggresive and you certainly do not want to continue losing at that rate if you want to remain healthy. Your body is also just adjusting. Weight loss is never linear, but overall so long as you eat at a sensible calorie deficit and log everything you will continue to lose overall.
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I recommend reading this honest and funny but realistic diary of losing weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/857137-for-the-newbies-here-is-what-losing-80-pounds-is-like

Good luck, we are all here to support you.

x
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    thanks for your advice ... as to sodium i put a little bit of salt in my veg & potato's and stews ect .. but i dont put it on my food when its on my plate so i dont use that much i dont think ??
    im confused with uping my water intake ?? how can that make me loose ?

Definitely check your sodium levels. If it's really high, then drinking more water will filter out the water that you're retaining.
  • rsaeedi
    Options
    14lbs in two weeks! Wow, that's a lot! Your body is probably just adjusting right now. Believe, me 7lbs a week is A LOT! Don't worry about the 1lb weight gain, it could be based on different reasons (sodium intake, the meal you ate the night before, muscle mass since you've been working out, or just your body trying to hold on to what you're eating because it's not used to this new sort of lifestyle).
    I think probably though, even though you've been experiencing really high losses for the last two weeks, you should start expecting lower numbers, 1-2 lbs a week is GREAT and super healthy. Also, i like to say that it's "real weight" coming off. Pounds that don't come back easily--very easily maintained. Losing weight slowly is the way to go. Remember, this isn't a temporary thing, you need to sustain this for the rest of your life! Make it a lifestyle and you wont be disappointed about smaller weight losses. :)
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Hi! I took a peek at your diary and I noticed you appear to be eating a lot of processed foods. Try to eat "out of the box" (or bag or packet). I also see some major calorie deficits in there -- which explains your rapid weight loss then stabilization. Try to eat close to or on target with your suggested calorie intakes. You will see a slower, but steadier weight loss over the course of time.

You need to make sure you're eating a healthy mix of everything. I can't tell if you're a vegetarian or not, but I don't see much in the way of lean meat in there. Do you eat meat?

I'm not the BEST food choice maker, but if you friend me you can see what I mean by eating "close to the calories". In fact, I dropped 2 lbs by upping up my calorie count and not exercising for a couple days. Weird, but it happens!
  • uboom
    uboom Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    The first two weeks you cut your calories and started exercise. That was enough to start you weight loss. Now your body is adapting and your weight loss will slow down. Looking through your diary, you are eating a lot of simple carbs and your calories when you eat them are in large blks. Your protein is low. Never go low on protein. Try these simple things to eat clean.

No one meal should be over 500 calories.

Eat whole grain. No white anything.
    Vegies and fruit NO CORN ANYTHING!!!
    Lean proteins. - your diary shows that you are not eating enough protein... Protein makes you feel fuller and hardest on the body to convert to fat.
    Healthy Fats.

Time your meals around your workouts. Workout just before one of your meals. That way your metabolism is reved up when you sit down to eat that meal.

Cheers.
  • jyjy105
    Options
    The fat is turning into muscle which is a good sign! I believe that for every 2.5 pounds of fat that is lost, you gain about 0.5 pound of muscle. Don't go by the scale. The body needs a lot of time to transform and it usually happens around the 3-4 week mark.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    The fat is turning into muscle which is a good sign! I believe that for every 2.5 pounds of fat that is lost, you gain about 0.5 pound of muscle. Don't go by the scale. The body needs a lot of time to transform and it usually happens around the 3-4 week mark.

Please do not perpetuate falsehoods. Fat can't turn into muscle any easier than a cheetah can turn into a lion. This is such a misunderstood concept.

Fat cells are shrunken when the body is using it as the main source of energy, as opposed to sugar and/or carbohydrates. Fat cells never entirely disappear, they just shrink. Muscles grow through the process of ripping (working out) and repair. New muscle cells are built as the muscles go through the repair process, giving the body a more muscular look. We BUILD muscles and SHRINK fat.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    No one meal should be over 500 calories.

Eat whole grain. No white anything.
    Vegies and fruit NO CORN ANYTHING!!!

Cheers.

Please explain or provide the sources for the above. Where does it say a meal can't go over 500 calories? And no white anything?
  • Ultragirl2374
    Ultragirl2374 Posts: 390 Member
    Options

Please do not perpetuate falsehoods. Fat can't turn into muscle any easier than a cheetah can turn into a lion. This is such a misunderstood concept.

Fat cells are shrunken when the body is using it as the main source of energy, as opposed to sugar and/or carbohydrates. Fat cells never entirely disappear, they just shrink. Muscles grow through the process of ripping (working out) and repair. New muscle cells are built as the muscles go through the repair process, giving the body a more muscular look. We BUILD muscles and SHRINK fat.

^^^^what she said
  • sarah197436
    Options
    thanks for every ones advice .. i think i will start eating more of my calories a day ... :)
  • CrazyTrackLady
    Options
    thanks for every ones advice .. i think i will start eating more of my calories a day ... :)

Excellent idea -- you will find yourself more satiated, and more successful. Losing weight isn't really that hard if done right. It just takes patience and dedication.