Peanut Butter! What's your favorite?

Options
I *love* Jif Creamy Peanut Butter. Recently, someone on Reddit recommended Earth Balance Coconut & Peanut Spread as a healthier alternative. I bought a jar, and have to admit it IS tasty, if a bit on the soupy/oily side. (Which is probably why they call it "spread" and not "peanut butter.") However, the nutrition is about the same.

Both have 190 calories. For Carbs/Protein/Fat/Saturated Fat, we have Jif: 8/7/16/3. Earth Balance 7/6/17/5. It seems to me that Jif is the healthier choice, because it has more protein, less fat, and less saturated fat. So how is the Earth Balance better? Is there some secret benefit of coconut oil that I don't know about?

I have tried at least a half dozen "reduced fat" peanut butters, and have yet to find one that didn't go in the trash after the first taste. But I see a LOT of people advocating peanut butter. Why? It has a lot more fat than protein.

How does one determine good fat versus bad fat? What makes one good while the other is bad? I do not understand how all fats are not equal. Surely someone has a good blog about this? (I don't want a list of X is good, and Y is bad. I've seen plenty of those. I want to know WHY X is good and Y is bad.)

What are your favorite peanut butters and why? Do you choose by the label or the spoon? I definitely choose by the spoon! If it isn't delicious, I'm not choking something down in the name of health. :-P

Replies

• Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    I realize that is several questions under one post, so feel free to pick and choose which segments you can answer. lol
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Hello! I look for ones that have no added oil or sugar. For me the easiest to find at a store is the Smuckers Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter.

I don't understand why most peanut butters have a bunch of unnecessary ingredients added to them.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I like Peter Pan honey roasted flavor. I've tried the other brands' honey roasted peanut butters, and Peter Pan is the best.
  • fiorim
    fiorim Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Actually i go by the label but Planter's crunchy peanut butter is 180 a serving and it IS delicious, satisfying and the crunchy part gives it a little extra fiber!!
  • tripful
    Options
    Hi! My favorite thus far is either Smucker's Nautral (full fat) or Wegman's Natural (full fat). Both still have a bit too much sugar, but they are nice and high in fat at least. Please understand, there is absolutely nothing wrong with fat in *natural* peanut butter, or in any *high quality, natural* food for that matter. Eat as much as you want, just keep the sugar low! =)
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I like Jif Natural for my kids. It spreads easy, requires little stirring, and tastes good. I don't eat much PB myself. I like Biscoff Spread on my toast. If I am getting PB for me, I'll get some Honey Roast from the "grind your own" bar at Whole Foods.
  • SGocka
    SGocka Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Justin's Honey Almond Butter.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If I am going to eat normal peanut butter then I'm with you. The spoon has to be the decision maker otherwise why eat it? I like Peter Pan and Jif the best. Regular on both. Right now I eat PB2 simply due to the calories. My hubby says I'm a weirdo but hey what else is new........I like it. To me it tastes like fresh peanuts with no oil in them. I don't really like the chocolate PB2 though but my 15 year old daughter does. But she eats Nutella and I don't. I think it's a choice you should make just as with all food. If you have a favorite brand then eat it by all means! Just moderate :)
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    But she eats Nutella and I don't. I think it's a choice you should make just as with all food. If you have a favorite brand then eat it by all means! Just moderate :)

I was an absolute Nutella addict from the moment I took my first bite of it on a croissant in Rome. I have had to give it up, though, because the first ingredient on the label is sugar. I get PLENTY of sugar from other sources, and simply can not justify eating the amount of it in my beloved Nutella. :-(
  • dustbunnygirl
    dustbunnygirl Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    While perusing the health food section of my local grocery store one day, I came upon a product called PB2, by Bell Plantation. It is a powdered peanut butter (ingredients are roasted peanuts, sugar, and salt) that you mix two to one with water. Two tablespoons of the powder equal 45 calories, 1.5 grams of fat, less than 100 mg of sodium, and 5 grams of protein. The mixed version isn't 100% comparable to peanut butter in texture (depending on how carefully you measure the water it can either be really thick or a little soupy), but it has a very close flavor. I eat it with apple slices, celery, on graham crackers, and even on a sandwich. It's also great in recipes, and throwing a tablespoon in a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese makes for a yummy, protein-packed snack.

(I personally prefer the PB2 Chocolate variety, but the plain is good, too)

When I absolutely have to have real peanut butter for whatever reason (I used to be able to eat peanut butter by the spoonful from the jar; I'm definitely a peanut butter girl), I'm a Skippy Natural's kind of girl.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I make my own peanut butter. I buy unsalted roasted peanuts and put them in a food processor until pb consistency. Prior to this, I loved JIF, but now when I have that it seems way too oily.

Sometimes I add additional flavor to it- dark chocolate or white chocolate chips.
  • lilcupcake213
    lilcupcake213 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Does a bad tasting peanut butter even exist ???
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried PB2...but going to try it after I finish off the jar I have.

I am currently eating Naturally More with Flax seed...I like it.
  • LisaDunn01
    LisaDunn01 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Peanut Butter Chocolate Banana Shake

2 c. almond milk
    1 tbsp. raw cacao powder
    2 frozen bananas
    1 heaping tablespoon peanut butter

Blend.

YUM!
  • jenmsu83
    jenmsu83 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Jif creamy all the way!

I used to love Peter Pan whipped peanut butter but I can't find it anywhere anymore...so sad. :sad:
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Skippy!
  • luvred51
    luvred51 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Planters - Natural Creamy Peanut Butter, 190 Calories per 2 tbsp; its all natural and taste good. :laugh:
  • twostepsforward
    twostepsforward Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    In the uk theres only one option for me personally and its the whole earth peanut butters as they have no added sugar. Aa far as I can tell there arent any others widely available like this. And its so delicious. And got to be the crunchy one. Yum!
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    i love all peanut butter

i roll it into balls and put it in the fridge :laugh:
  • katiekfloo
    Options
    peanut butter & co cinnamon raisin swirl!!!

and coookie butter fromk trader joes is amaziiing