Bra rant.

Options
I bought the largest bra available from Moving Comfort. The band size was perfect, but the cups were about half my size. I measured myself again last night to order from some "goddess" size bra store in the UK, and have lost an inch in band size, but gained half an inch in the cup this month. As far as I can tell, I am somewhere between 40G and 40HH, depending on the manufacturer.

Americans LOVE big boobs. We have icons like Pamela Anderson (eww) and women on plastic surgery billboards with racks the size of SUVs, but for the life of me, I can't find an American company that sells bras my size. I need *something* to hold the girls down while I jog, and my basic/everyday Walmart uniboob bras aren't doing it. If the cup will fit me, the smallest band available is about 5-6 inches too large. If the band will fit, the largest cup available is half my size.

Before I start making my husband strap me down with ACE bandages every other day, I'd really like to know how the other chesty women manage. I am not willing to consider any kind of surgery.

Any suggestions from the other large-busted American ladies on here? I know I am not the only one. WHERE DO YOU BUY YOUR BRAS?!

And just a little side rant: wtf is up with "goddess" sizes? Unless they mean the Venus of Willendorf, I do not understand why fat-friendly companies name their sizes that. Goddesses are usually depicted in healthy, fertile shapes. I've certainly never seen a statue or painting of a "goddess" that looked even close to my shape. Whatever. I just need a good bra.

Replies

• lambchoplewis
    Options
    Okay - how about a bra rant on not small enough!!! I am a 32 A (or smaller cup)!!! Most places don't even carry this size. You can order but then have to return when cup gaps as most do!! I know it sounds like a trivial issue but... I want to look like a woman and don't want "helmet" padding.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention the UK bra you're looking at, but I've heard the brand Freya mentioned over here. I wear sports bras by Shock Absorber which work well. You might look into them if you haven't already. Enell is supposed to be good, too.

When I was in the US I wore several bras by Moving Comfort and had great luck, but you've already said they don't work for you. Have you written/spoken to customer service people at any of these bra manufacturers? You might give it a go and see if they've got some ideas.

I used to wear TWO sports bras back in the day. I was about 40lbs lighter then, too. :( But from what I recall, the only bras that were around back then were the uniboob compression type things. I bought the most heavy duty, high quality ones I could find and doubled up. Every workout. Not the best solution, but it worked for me back then.

The "Goddess Sizing" thing is patronising and stupid, I think. Marketing technique, I'm sure.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    This is not meant to be mean. I looked t your profile pic. I see women built like you all the time. They must get bras from somewhere.

Good luck.
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Checkout http://www.bravissimo.com/ (UK based) and see if you can get them in the USA.

My favourite are Panache Tango bras, they hold everything in. I've been wearing them for years and have allsorts of colours.
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention the UK bra you're looking at, but I've heard the brand Freya mentioned over here. I wear sports bras by Shock Absorber which work well. You might look into them if you haven't already. Enell is supposed to be good, too.

BraStop.com. It's a UK website. They have Freya and Shock Absorber, and several other brands. I did choose one by Shock Absorber, then I bought two other brands that were available on Amazon so I could avoid the hassle of buying from another country. (Free two day shipping is pretty hard to beat!)
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    This is not meant to be mean. I looked t your profile pic. I see women built like you all the time. They must get bras from somewhere.

Good luck.

You mean the painting? Or the picture of me in a tee shirt that fits my chest and hangs loose down the front, not really touching my stomach? The one where I am in a badly sized bra that lets my girls hang down with no support whatsoever? I'm sure there are plenty of women built like me (hence my request for their advice!), but you wouldn't be able to tell from my profile pic. ;-)
  • Mcmush
    Mcmush Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Panache Sports bra is the best. If the band isn't large enough use an extender, that's what I do.
  • dmpizza
    Options

Good luck.

You mean the painting? Or the picture of me in a tee shirt that fits my chest and hangs loose down the front, not really touching my stomach? The one where I am in a badly sized bra that lets my girls hang down with no support whatsoever? I'm sure there are plenty of women built like me (hence my request for their advice!), but you wouldn't be able to tell from my profile pic. ;-)

Not the painting.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Same problem, just smaller all around, but the bands are always to big and the cups to small. I'm going to look at these stores, but there should be somewhere in the US, if were ordering from overseas we may as well get custom made!
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    this wont help much but i remember seeing a store in NC ( some little town close to boone) that sold bras up to 56 M i only remember this cause i had no idea bras came in such sizes
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Options
    This is not meant to be mean. I looked t your profile pic.

Not the painting.

According to your profile, people my size scare you into staying in shape. Glad I could be motivational to you. I am not sure why you clicked on this thread, though. :huh:
  • at the moment I wear an 18E (Australian) but the band is waaay too big so to fix THAT problem I wear a crop top size 14 as well (especially when exercising) and my boobs do not move at all haha. BUT it's not very flattering under clothes as it squishes my boobies.

Its pretty hard to find 18E's let alone 14G-16F (which would fit the band better) also I can't afford the ones i DO fing coz they are about $70-$200 each bra! I cannot wait until I get to a 12D or similar and can buy the $20 bras EVERY WHERE =D
  • dmpizza
    Options
    This is not meant to be mean. I looked t your profile pic.

Not the painting.

According to your profile, people my size scare you into staying in shape. Glad I could be motivational to you. I am not sure why you clicked on this thread, though. :huh:

That statement refers to specific people I am related to. Perhaps I should rephrase it.
  • CuteWittleWifey
    Options
    now that I'm nursing I measure a 34DDD...yeah...try finding that size...I feel your pain.
  • loislanegta2
    loislanegta2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I wear a 32H, bra shopping is the worst. try breakout bras.com for regular and sports bras (Freya is pretty good). And for running I wear Enell (bought on amazon.com). Good bras are spendy but worth it. Good luck.
  • silverainn
    Options
    I had surgery and got rid of mine (36L at last count), but before that, I had to find a cup size that fit, then alter the band by hand. There are instructions on the internet on how to do it, and apparently there are even clips now you can buy so you don't have to actually alter it. You could also try on some maternity/nursing bras, they may have a better fit for you.
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Okay - how about a bra rant on not small enough!!! I am a 32 A (or smaller cup)!!! Most places don't even carry this size. You can order but then have to return when cup gaps as most do!! I know it sounds like a trivial issue but... I want to look like a woman and don't want "helmet" padding.

Yeah, HATE the helmet padding! I'm a 34A and perfectly happy with small boobs that still have a nice shape even though I'm 60 and it's hard to find that size without a lot of fake-y foam molding.

There are places that make custom bras and I'm tempted to try them but the nearest brick-and-mortar place is about 4 hours away in the middle of Missouri. I've just seen their billboard.
  • chellie47
    chellie47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Lane Bryant- they are on a b1 get 1 50% off right now. Just my size ...also but I think they only ship to the US....there is Roamans or their onestopplus.com web site! If you dont mind the shipping costs
  • olanot
    olanot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would get the proper cup size and then have the band sized down/ adjusted. I don't know if you sew, but you can easily take in the band on the sides heading towards the back of the bra..It would required adding an additional seam and removing some of the elastic/ fabric. You may have to have a tailor adjust your fit for you if you don't sew. Good luck.
  • berthabunny
    berthabunny Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    now that I'm nursing I measure a 34DDD...yeah...try finding that size...I feel your pain.

Same size, not nursing, so I'm stuck with it :(
    Someone further down had the awesome idea of shortening the band on your own by resewing, I think I will try that :)