How soon after eating should I go walking??

Options
???

Replies

• majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I'd put the fork down first. You could put your eye out if you fell.
  • alexandrastaines
    Options
    It really doesn't matter! Until you feel like you can go for a decent wok without puking? Apparently if you go walking straight after dinner it helps you loose weight...fact or fiction I'm not sure but you could give it a shot! :)
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Whenever you feel like it.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I quaffed a 500kc ready meal, two pain au chocolat's and a yoghurt or two.
    That may have been a bit much actually, especially as the run was pushing my limit's a bit, but otherwise fine.

However, unless you find you have a specific issue, I wouldn't worry about it; I've never had any problems with walking after a big meal, unless it was really, really big to the point of not wanting to move kinda thing.
  • arnfolly
    arnfolly Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like to go for a stroll right after walking. I find it helps my digestion. Now, a FAST walk might make you feel ill. Go and give it a try, start out slow and then pick up the pace and see how you feel.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I eat and walk at the exact same time.

I'm an incredible multi-tasker.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I think it is very individual. I usually eat a banana or two on the way to the gym, sometimes with a chunk of cheese. My husband can't eat right before he works out or he feels sick. This has nothing to do with the intensity of our respective workouts.

Experiment and see what works.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'd put the fork down first. You could put your eye out if you fell.

OMG I laughed so hard I snorted. Ha! Love this.
  • AmiC0717
    AmiC0717 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I can eat and work out pretty quickly. My hubby on the other hand always feels like he's going to throw up. I believe it's up to you. If you feel fine then go for it! However if you are like my hubby who turns green and feels sick then wait an hour. Just like with swimming :)
  • Podgethepuffer
    Podgethepuffer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    My understanding, and is just my understanding, is that if you exercise before you eat, your body processes the food much quicker (if you get what I mean) and can help to maintain, or even lose, weight.

On the other hand I could be wrong.

And given that I'm still well above my ideal weight :smile: I would suggest you take what I say with a pinch of salt and go by what 'your' body tells you, rather than what anybody else tells you: Your body knows you best.
  • ODorisBrucken
    ODorisBrucken Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I typically walk as soon as I finish eating, I walk anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes at varying intensities and have not had any issues with it yet.
  • stines72
    stines72 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    lol for someone like me it takes a good 2-3 hours after eating. if i go any sooner than that im doubled over with cramps within 15 minutes
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you haven't gorged yourself first and you're just going for a walk, not a long fast run then you should be able to get up from the table and head out. As stated, put your fork down first.
  • peter236uk
    peter236uk Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I often eat while out hiking so no worries really would not fancy it after eating a big meal.
  • Andrea_Alexis_1980
    Andrea_Alexis_1980 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I guess it's up to you try it out and see as for me my digestive system is not so good so i have to wait about 1 hour other wise i get bad cramps
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    A walk after a meal s fine. More strenuous exercise is a different matter .