Success People: How did you overcome food temptations?

Options

Replies

• tachyon_master
    tachyon_master Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    If you don't buy it, you can't eat it.

I know it sounds simple, but it worked for me. If I don't keep doritos (the worst culprit for me) or whatever in the house, I can't gorge myself when I get tempted.
  • jjmnet
    jjmnet Posts: 110
    Options
    I replaced the sugar in my tea with Splenda. 1.5 month later I decided to use sugar to sprinkle on two pancakes, could barely use half a teaspoon i found it unbearably sweet! If you can't go cold turkey, wean yourself off, eventually you won't want it anymore.

I'm the same way! I replaced the sugar in my tea with Splenda and now I use powdered Stevia....it's just like Splenda, but comes from a plant. You won't use a full packet in a tea either. After getting off sugar, it makes me feel really ill if I eat too much....like a chocolate bar.....but I used to be able to eat like 3 bars in a day with no problems!!!!!
  • ali258
    ali258 Posts: 403
    Options
    Sometimes what I do is log the unhealthy food that I want to eat in my food diary and then see how it changes the rest of my day. If having a big bowl of ice cream means that I've got 20 calories left for dinner, I'd better not have the ice cream. Usually something small (like a mini piece of candy or one cookie) works with the rest of the day, as long as you can stop yourself at just one or two.
  • hlb99
    hlb99 Posts: 26
    Options
    When I'm tempted with something I ask myself will that "whatever it is" help me to get where I want to be? The answer is usually NO! simple as that it helps me make the right decision. Not saying I never have something that I shouldn't but most of the time I can resist! Good luck!
  • LinDiSm26262
    LinDiSm26262 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I knew I could count on all of you to give me so many great ideas. This will help me to move forward in a positive way.

Blessings!
  • missjanetleigh
    missjanetleigh Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I keep a fat picture of me so I don't forget what I'm trying to accomplish. :)
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I take supplements (not diet pills) to help with my cravings. Usually it is from low blood sugar or spikes that I have a hard time controlling so I find an alternative to the thing I am craving or have some apples and cinnamon that works great.
  • Thenewme31
    Thenewme31 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    For me I try to write out my grocery list before I go there. Make sure I have eaten and full when I get to the store that way I'm not tempted by junk because I'm too full for anything to sound good. Plus with a pre-determined list of good foods for me I avoid the bad isles(brownie, cookie isle and the candy isle). Then I get what I need and is good for me. I then come home with all foods I CAN have and at snack time I eat what's good for me that I can put in my snack spots OR I don't eat since it's not there for me to have. I do have 2 pieces of chocolate but it's dark chocolate every night. I also buy healthy choice's frozen dark swirl greek yogurt YUM! Great alternatives to the bad stuff that will cause me to gain more. I hope that helps.
  • daedus
    daedus Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I was in a home or at work situation where I had a craving and access to satisfy it, I would come here and look at one of the success threads and decide if I wanted that item more than some of the people who had lost way more weight than I had to date. That made a really big difference for me. Honestly, sometimes the answer was yes and i ate it, logged it and then scheduled the rest of my day around those extra calories (smaller dinner, bonus post dinner p90x cardio day or 30ds episode). Yes, you can still have [insert salty sweet delicious] but more it's the budgeting for it in advance and really enjoying it without the guilt that this site has helped me with.
  • Haiir0
    Haiir0 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Remove temptation. Easy.

When you are in the store, hovering over that item you want but thinking you shouldn't have it - check the label. Be aware of how many calories it is. And make a decision. Most times, you'll put it back.

This is what I do. I was at the store yesterday and eyeballing a can of Wolf Brand Chili...when I checked the label, the calorie content (340 for 1 cup! And I was gonna eat the whole can!) completely turned me off of it.

However, I do agree with other posters, that you should indulge in small, small quantities. I have ice cream most days, but I buy little 110 calorie ice cream bars instead of a gallon of Blue Bell.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I wanted to lose weight and get healthy more than i wanted any temptations.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I just don't keep stuff in the house that will tempt me like sweets, cookies etc....that way If i get a craving I can not satisfy it...and just have a chocolate protein shake or something instead....
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    the only time i have them is when i have PMS. In fact i have it right now and went out and bought some Vday candy half off at Target Friday night. I big heart shaped box. I probably ate 12 pieces this past weekend. Oh well! I will just work out extra hard this week
  • SnazzyTraveller
    SnazzyTraveller Posts: 458 Member
    Options

3) tell yourself its not forever, just for now.

HuhhhHHH?

*ETA: ops, I see now there was an explanation in further posts....
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I make room for the foods I really want to eat.

I avoid stuffing my face by remembering the following:
    1. Food is an inanimate object, so it can't control me.
    2. I have a car, money, free time, and access to grocery stores/restaurants/the internet, so there is no food that I cannot obtain if I want it. Therefore, I don't have to eat ALL the food ALL the time. I can always have more later.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking food is a reward or that it's a pleasure thing. Food has no emotions. It's fuel.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If it's too high a temptation, I keep it out of the house most of the time. That way, when I'm really craving it, I have to make the effort to leave the house to go buy it. Sometimes I decide it's not worth the effort, sometimes I go get it. Seems to be working for me.

Nothing is really off-limits. I just make the junk take more effort to get to it. :laugh: :wink:
  • jesindc
    jesindc Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    This is one of the simple ones for me, but it really helps. Brush your teeth right after meals. I used to nibble on stuff and have an extra drink after dinner. Now I try to brush my teeth right after eating and then I don't want to eat or drink anything other than water. Good luck!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Eat foods you enjoy. Just because you're eating healthy doesn't mean you can only eat plain grilled chicken and broccoli. Unless you really, really like plain grilled chicken and broccoli.

Pretty much all my meals are chicken breast, some kind of vegetables, with some kind of starch (rice, pasta, bread). But the combinations are endless when you add sauces, marinades and seasonings... if I start listing them, I'll sound like Bubba talking about shrimp in Forrest Gump.

Tonight will probably be chicken, ravioli, Italian blend veg in vodka sauce with garlic bread. I don't feel deprived, so I don't have cravings.
  • Ewaldt
    Ewaldt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Don't buy the 'bad' foods! :) I know that I cannot handle having too many goodies around, so I buy a little of each temptation to spread throughout the week. Just realize that whatever you buy, you will eat. It is much easier to resist temptation in the store than late at night when you are watching a movie and having the munchies. substitue things for other things, always toward the healthier direction. For example, switch a pb&j for pb &banana. Have freeze dried apples/fruit instead of candy, have popcorn chips instead of potatoe chips, etc. :) ALL of these things have helped me!
    And do NOT forget to have some chocolate on hand! But make it plain chocolate. You crave chocolate, not the candy bar. So I keep a little bin of hershey's hugs around :) So when I crave, I eat one. and then I can avoid binging on other horrible things! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!