CHOLESTEROL - Your daily intake?

Options
I'm just curious as to what others cholesterol intake is. I seem to hit my daily allowance fairly fast. MFP put me at 300 for my goal. Is this high, low, average? Please, any info will help.

Thanks

Replies

• sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    I'm almost always over as I like whole eggs. It's worse on salmon days.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options

Yea, I'm close to my daily allowance before 9:00am. lol. It seems impossible.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Lately it's been less than 20mg. But I am a vegetarian so the only cholesterol I get comes either from eggs or dairy products, which I eat in moderation.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I either go way over (on a day that I eat eggs) or am way under. It seems I get cholesterol pretty much only from eggs.
  • djfriedman81
    Options
    300mg is recommended daily allowance. It's just a guide as dietary cholesterol affects us in different ways. If you have familial high cholesterol then that may even be high. My family has no such problems so I eat whatever I want in that regard.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Zero
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Options
    300mg is recommended daily allowance. It's just a guide as dietary cholesterol affects us in different ways. If you have familial high cholesterol then that may even be high. My family has no such problems so I eat whatever I want in that regard.

Thanks, that gives me a good understanding.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Options
    Zero

Well, how in the heck? lol
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I really think it depends on your fat sources - I used to have slightly elevated LDL and poor HDL. Reducing overall weight was far more important then the fats that I was consuming, i typically eat a few yolks a day and I love hummus as well as red meat so I typically overshoot my suggested cholesterol, however the last time I ran my lipid panel my HDL was at a protective level and LDL was very low.

There are people in the world who have extremely protective HDL levels and for them it doesn't matter as much. That being said if you are at risk for metabolic syndrome and you are already on a statin then you should definitely watch your intake. The 300mg is a general guideline its not a number MFP came up with.

You are young and i doubt you are on any medications at this point so if you are losing weight and eating healthy I wouldn't stress about it - that being said you should have your physician check your lipids regularly
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I have high LDL cholesterol...I'm over on my cholesterol every day and my blood work is improving. Your saturated fats have a much bigger impact on your blood serum cholesterol than does dietary cholesterol. The U.S. is one of the only countries in the world that even tracks dietary cholesterol.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Do you have high blood cholesterol levels? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, foods such as whole eggs and salmon have been demonstrated to help, but MFP unfortunately doesn't distinguish between things that positively affect your HDL and LDL levels and those that don't.
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Usually pretty high as I eat 1-2 eggs per day. It's worse when I eat shrimp or salmon in addition to eating eggs. I've always had low LDL and high HDL and low blood cholesterol, so I don't really pay much attention to dietary cholesterol.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Do you have high blood cholesterol levels? If not, I wouldn't worry about it. Besides, foods such as whole eggs and salmon have been demonstrated to help, but MFP unfortunately doesn't distinguish between things that positively affect your HDL and LDL levels and those that don't.

^yep. I never pay any attention.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Zero

I hope not.
  • leaderzzz
    leaderzzz Posts: 113 Member
    Options

I usually smash that target breakfast time and then some!
    See you in hospital!
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I don't usually even pay attention to it anymore but to answer your question I checked out the report and it's ranged between 800-1200 for the last 30 days. My cholesterol was never as out of control as it was when I spent two years avoiding dietary cholesterol (no eggs or red meat.) Now I'm off Lipitor- I eat three eggs every morning- meat- real butter- it's normal- go figure.
  • 141by2016
    Options
    Zero

Have you noticed any hormonal changes? Skin or hair changes? Cholesterol is the back bone for important hormones and signaling molecules. Estrogen, testosterone and cortisol are all cholesterol based. Please eat some.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I think I look at it about once a month and say "Interesting." Then I go back to not tracking it.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have a much better perspective on it now.
  • zillah73
    zillah73 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Zero

Vegan?