Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this

Options

Replies

• fmebear
    fmebear Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I used to do that as well. Now, I reward myself with something that I have wanted. The latest reward was a pair of Miss Me jeans and I love them. It is keeping me motivated to stay healthy because if I gain any weight I won't be able to wear them. So.... in order to keep them in rotation I have to keep eating healthy and exercising.

My next 10 lbs is my tattoo on my foot/ankle.
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    LOL. Yeah. You're like, "Oh, I can really lose weight just by doing or that, so I'll just eat whatever I want and if I gain weight, I'll just do whatever I did before to lose weight." LOL. It's really stupid. You're allowed to eat vday candy...just not a whole frickin family pack. LOL. I think that most things are ok in moderation.
  • LuznLulu1979
    LuznLulu1979 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i am just as guilty :/ i do that as well i start doing well for a few weeks drop pounds and then bam! i have a pig out fest :( its so frustrating.
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Love the comments to "get back on the wagon"!!! Every morning, I weight myself, log my food and exercise into MFP and read the inspiring notes. Saw this quote that I love:

If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    sure we all do that,, i work my butt off hard all week, and lose it all on the weekends and party,,
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I tend to quit after someone notices and tells me I'm starting to look really good,

I totally get this. It's bizarre - I don't know why people noticing makes a difference, but it does. I'm hoping no one notices for a long time yet. It seems to set off some kind of strange pyschological response in my brain. Like oh no, they've noticed. Now I'm going to fail. Makes no sense, but there it is.....

OMG, maybe this is why I'm royally f***ing up lately. I almost threw in the towel the other day for an unknown reason. I never made the connection until now. SO many people have been commenting that I look good. My aunt literally hugged me and cried a couple weeks ago when I hadn't seen her in a couple of months and she saw that I've lost weight. Hmmmmm...
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Saw this quote that I love:

If you're heading somewhere in the car and wanted to get there by 5, but realized you were going to be a few minutes late, would you just give up and swerve into a bridge abutment?

I LOOVE this! I swear, I'm going to frame it and hang it on the wall. Lol.
  • Raoh52
    Options
    I believe you can use food as a reward, but you just need to plan the reward. Don't say "I lost 5 pounds, I can now eat good stuff." But rather, throw a small treat into your daily diet, something you enjoy. Keep a nice small portion waiting for you at the end of the day. You work it into your calories, and if you're under for the calories you aimed for, with enough to spare, enjoy it that day. It's a great way to end the day, and I have noticed I am not craving stuff as much as I used to. Even when the rest of my family are enjoying foods I would love to eat. I just know, I have my treat coming, and if I stay strong, I can enjoy it AND lose the weight I want. A pure win/win!
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yup. Complacency. Probably the number one reason why I have failed to lose weight before. Whenever I lose a bit, I feel happier and get lazier. Gain it all back and then some.

Trying to counteract this time by constantly thinking about how much EVEN BETTER I'm going to feel and look in another 20 lbs' time. Also taking photos - that's another good wake up call that I am not done. And reminding myself I am not in a healthy BMI yet. And buying new clothes relatively often, and buying them a little on the snug side as a motivator.
  • Flossie1981
    Flossie1981 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was even worse. If I lost weight, I rewarded myself with food treats. If I gained weight, I consoled myself with food treats. I got nowhere!

this is me....!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    This could have been written by me. I have the same problem. You and I are not alone.
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    @nancycaregive that is a genius idea. I too am guilty of that. I don't go overboard, but I do it. Thanks Nancy for the idea. I think a Premium Cigar will be a better treat than my daughters' mini muffin pack.
  • Daisy80
    Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I used to do the same...it is not so much a reward for me it was more me being cocky thinking oh i sussed it now so I can eat this or that now....and then straight back to the old habits and then weight comes right back.
    I am going into that danger zone at the moment. I can see my body changing and feeling happier about myself...what I am doing this time though is to focus on my end goal...how I really want to look like in the end...and that is still a way off even though I have lost a bit now...that kind of helps me to stay focused.

And as someone else said the phrase..."Don't reward yourself with food, you're not a dog" really stuck...

We can do it :smile:
  • noogie98
    noogie98 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    guilty!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Love the quote

"don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog"!!! Thanks for this!!
  • RuthieRoo2012
    Options
    Oh you aren't the only one! I did it this week, I had a pizza that was in my freezer- and ate the lot! At least it's gone now, I will not be re-buying it!!! I have put on 1.5lbs this week, weighed in this morning and now I am planning my week at the gym. I also find that I stop weighing things as much, so I guess the weight of food rather than weighing everything meticulously. I got back on track this morning and have even changed my semi-skimmed milk to skimmed on my cereal. Every little helps as they say! Good luck everyone, we are in it together! :)
  • evemarie1103
    Options
    I do it EVERY time. I typically weigh in on Friday mornings and after a good loss I say to myself "Well that's great! Now since you aren't weighing in for another week and you will work your *kitten* off M-F, let's have a treat!" I do it almost everytime. At first it was really bad food, but I got to the point that when I eat it - it makes me sick.

So like some others, I am giving myself smaller goals on the road to the big goal. So now I have 47 lbs to go - I make my rewards in "10 lb gone" increments (like a mani/pedi, a salon visit). I do like the idea of putting money in a jar and when you hit your goal, buy yourself something. I think I will do that. $5/lb. :-)
  • nsagley
    nsagley Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I do that. I'll lose 10 lbs and so well I deserve a cheat day. Then that day turns into a week, a month and before I know it I've gain that 10 lbs back plus some.
  • breezylee75
    breezylee75 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Anytime I get under 230 I seem to sabatoge myself and gain it back pretty quickly. You are definitely not alone! :)
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do the same thing which is why I keep losing and gaining back the same 2 or 3 pounds. I'm trying hard to break that cycle so you're definitely not alone.