Alcohol Ideas

Options
Hi guys!

Im finding it so difficult saying no to going out at uni and drinking with friends! I know some alcohol has loads of calories but just wondering are there any low calorie options? I dont fancy going out sober and having to stand there like a stooge all night so thats definitely a no no! haha

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Vodka & diet soda is probably your best option as far as bang for your buck is concerned.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Yup, spirits and diet soda is the lowest calorie option.
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    snap like everyone else has said! that or a glass of dry white wine! :drinker:
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I second what has been said about vodka + soda, also white wine :)
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    www.getdrunknotfat.com has all the alco info you want as to calories per ounce, etc. Adding any sugar, fruit juice, soft drink, will compound the problem and worsen the hangover. Moderation and stick to grain distilled alco with a bit of club soda and a lime squeeze or lemon wedge. Skinnygirl Vodka is very popular now with soda and lime. Stay away from tonic. Enjoy, but take care of you!

Your friendly, educated bartender. :drinker:

edit: diet sodas are worse for you nutritionally than alcohol in moderation...just Google "uses for Diet Coke"...recent nutritional studies have shown than long term use of diet soft drinks are not only detrimental to your health, but also can lead to weight loss problems. Water, water, water...have a glass of water between adult beverages. Keeps you from becoming dehydrated and helps to flush the alco out...you also will feel better in the morning...the best advice I can give you is have fun, but don't get wasted. Cheers!
  • amybabs92
    Options
    Thanks for your comments guys!! :happy:

Do you think I could get away with vodka, water and a touch of blackcurrant?? I don't particularly like soda water you see! :tongue:
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options

Do you think I could get away with vodka, water and a touch of blackcurrant?? I don't particularly like soda water you see! :tongue:

Definitely, haha I know this drink too well!
  • ruckerbenton
    Options
    Check out Pinterest. They have lots of lower calorie drink suggestions that look and sound really good. I always go with white wine and Sprite spritzers. My cousin likes the Skinnygirl wines but I haven't tried them. Whatever you choose--calculate ahead of time what you are allowed and try to stick with it. I figure if you do splurge a little it's ok. This is a new lifestyle we are living which means, in the bigger picture, you have to be happy with your food and drink choices.. Best wishes!
  • redmeathead
    Options
    dont eat bread or pasta and you will get drunk quicker if that is the goal. 65 calories to a shot so just do shots lol
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options

Blackcurrant liqueur has a lot of sugar, you'd be better off with just a flavored Vodka OTR as most will hover around 60-65 cals per ounce. Just a suggestion.
  • Artemis00diana
    Options
    It might be a bit expesive, but Champagne is also a really good way to get your buzz on ;)
  • jxchambe
    jxchambe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb is to Stick with clear liquors. Dark liquors usually have more sugar in them.
  • jxchambe
    jxchambe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Good rule of thumb is to Stick with clear liquors. Dark liquors usually have more sugar in them.
    Found this online

clear liquor, such as gin, vodka, and 80-proof tequila or rum -- which all contain about 60 to 65 calories per oz. -- offer the fewest calories.

Liquor with a higher "proof" or alcohol content tends to have more calories. Gin, rum and vodka with 100 proof contain 82 calories per oz. When these alcohols are 80 proof, the U.S Department of Agriculture Nutrient Database reports that they contain 64 calories per oz. Tequila, 80 proof, also contains 64 calories per oz. Compare these to liquors like whiskey, which, at 80 proof, contains 73 calories per oz. Other liquors like amaretto or Irish cream contain more calories per ounce due to added sugars.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I'd give some advice but I'm wankered on red wine ...
  • LaurenRosePR
    LaurenRosePR Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    www.getdrunknotfat.com has all the alco info you want as to calories per ounce, etc. Adding any sugar, fruit juice, soft drink, will compound the problem and worsen the hangover. Moderation and stick to grain distilled alco with a bit of club soda and a lime squeeze or lemon wedge. Skinnygirl Vodka is very popular now with soda and lime. Stay away from tonic. Enjoy, but take care of you!

Your friendly, educated bartender. :drinker:

edit: diet sodas are worse for you nutritionally than alcohol in moderation...just Google "uses for Diet Coke"...recent nutritional studies have shown than long term use of diet soft drinks are not only detrimental to your health, but also can lead to weight loss problems. Water, water, water...have a glass of water between adult beverages. Keeps you from becoming dehydrated and helps to flush the alco out...you also will feel better in the morning...the best advice I can give you is have fun, but don't get wasted. Cheers!

So true about diet sodas! I don't typically drink sodas at all, but if I have one, I drink the regular one.

In addition to that, having drinks without the carbonation seem to settle better (for me). The problem with getting say, vodka and cranberry, is that the bar you're at may have cranberry cocktail juice that has TONS of sugar in it.

The quote above really outlines the best ways to figure out what to drink! Thanks for sharing that website!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Getdrunknotfat.com is a MUST and should be bookmarked on everyone's browsers.

Stick with liquor not the flavoury crap like Sour Puss (e.g. drink whiskey, gin, vodka, etc,) or wine and you will be fine!