Just bought a refurbished Garmin Forerunner 405 w/ HR,USB,AN

Options
.......any one have any experience with this particular garmin? I have never used a GPS device and have been using a Polar HRM with all the bells and whistles... but I wanted something different.. I wanted to start running different paths around my house and really wanted to know how far I had ran...

Replies

• SassyMissDasha
    Options
    I was looking at those today on Amazon .. they look awesome!! I hope it works for you.
  • tvgal
    tvgal Posts: 87
    Options
    I bought one last December and love love LOVE it! It is a runner's best friend!
  • JoyElizabeth
    JoyElizabeth Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've had one for about 2 1/2 years now to track my heart rate when I was walking big hills and felt like I was nearly dying - I thought I was just unfit and would push harder. When the doctor told me to track my heart rate, my garmin showed me that I had been working in the 90-100% Zone for about 10-15 minutes at a time, so not only did it save me from a serious problem, I just absolutely love it's interactivity - I love that it sends it directly to Garmin Connect and that you can set up all the screens to suit yourself - it'll do all the calculations you want and more.

Here's a sample of how Garmin Connect works if you don't already know about it (and don't laugh at my fitness - I've only just started to learn to run :-) )

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/33206743?sms_ss=gmail

The player on Garmin Connect adds a whole different dimension too - I can see exactly what I was doing where and when and it plays back in google maps. This helps me track my fitness and shows me the effects of not exercising for a few days or the foods I've eaten - it takes all the emotion out of it and the facts don't lie to me, so it helps me be more honest with myself.

If you need to know anything technical, use the Garmin website and don't hesitate to contact them - they are friendly and get back to you.

I don't use half the functions that's on it, but it is more than awesome and I wouldn't be without it. I use it on my bike (but I don't have a cadence monitor) and while roller-blading - I also used to use it when riding our motorised scooters so we could track where we went. I just wish it went in water so that I could use it while swimming :-)
  • danielle4992
    danielle4992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for that bit of info!
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have this one. I'm an endurance athlete, so I put some time and effort into finding the best gps hrm. This is what I finally settled on.

Danielle-it's 5 am here, so I'll post more in a little bit, I just wanted to let you know to look for a bunch of answers here later today.
  • wendytobin
    wendytobin Posts: 208
    Options
    Hi

i have a garmin 405 and think its the best thing around, its great for my running as you can set your pace you want to run at and so it will show you if you are running faster / slower than your pace man. i dont use many of the functions available. i also use it for when i walk the dog so i can see how far i go and also gives me the calories to put onto my MFP page.

you can also use your garmin website page to set goals

hope you get on great with it
  • firegirlred
    firegirlred Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Okay-sorry for the delay.

The garmin 405 has a feature that allows you to "race" yourself. You can run, then load that course onto the watch as a course and race against your previous time.

The watch also has workouts built in like intervals, speedwork, and a workout geared strictly toward heart rate zones.

Garmin connect is the bomb! The options are endless and it makes it easy to record running conditions and see your improvement. You can designate one course a race, another a trail and another street running.

It's got a "back to start" function in case you get lost while trail running.

More in a bit, I've got to think about what other functions I use frequently.