half marathon training + ripped in 30?

Options
So I'm a new distance runner. I've only ever done 5Ks. I am signed up for a half marathon at the end of April and have been following a training program for that. I was thinking about starting Ripped in 30 on top of that, but it just seems like too much. The training program recommends a day or two of strength during the week but after my run this morning I just feel like trying 30 minutes with Jillian would about kill me.

Should I just stick to the half marathon program and do my own strength training, or do you think I could do both? I'm just nervous about over-exerting myself since these long rungs are new to me.

Thanks everyone :)

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I would stick with focusing on training for the half marathon. Strength training, if any, should be kept to a minimum when building up to an endurance event. During the off-season or once you have gotten a decent amount of experience, strength training can be incorporated into your training.

Best of luck during the race!
  • dalemckeown
    dalemckeown Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    To be honest, if I were you I would work towards your half marathon in April. Especially as you are a new distance runner. Once you are able to do 10 miles (about 16k) then maybe think about doing ripped in 30 too.

If you rally wanted to do ripped in 30 as well, do it on a day you are not running.

Don't push yourself too hard too early on. You will just fall back into bad habits.
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have done 25+ HM, 8 full - focus on your running - but do do strength training (just focus on your core) - and add the ripped in 30 later. If you are impatient - you can probably do some of the ripped in 30 exercises.
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    What training program are you doing for your half-marathon?

I did one last year (doing it again this May). My plan last year had me doing 2 short runs (walk/run intervals, in my case) and 1 long run per week and two days of cross-training. I did the cross-training at a local Crossfit that was doing endurance training- the side effect was that I got strong, especially my hamstrings as we worked mostly on rowers.

This year I'm doing the same running plan, but doing two days of actual strength training instead of the endurance class. I'm not an expert, but I've done a lot of research and strength training *is* good fro runners. Especially hamstring work. Our quads tend to get more workout than our hamstrings, and the lack of balance can make knee injuries more common. The stronger your muscles are, the more protection you're joints have.

I wouldn't recommend doing ripped in 30 the same day as a run, but working some kind of cross-training/ strength training in to your weekly schedule is a good idea. Make sure you have 1 or 2 rest days, too!
  • dangitsjill
    dangitsjill Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Hal Hidgeon beginners program. I have a few days of cross training in there, but I normally bike or elliptical or walk to help keep that endurance. The program has 2 days of strength as part of my week so maybe I'll do Ripped in 30 on those days. I heard that strength training a little during running training is beneficial.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    I am training for my first half as well. If distance running is new to you, I would focus on that first, get the half out of the way and then start ripped in 30. You need to get used to time on feet, so I would run more.
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I'm training for my first half in April as well. Using Hal's Novice 2 plan. I just finished week two. I had to tweek it for my schedule so I run Mon, Wed, Thurs & long run on Sat. I have been doing 30 Day Shred on Tuesday & Friday. I do nothing at all on Sunday.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Training for a half marathon and a Tough Mudder

Sun: cross training (hike) or rest
    Mon: medium run
    tue: weights
    Wed: light run
    Thu: Weights
    Fri: off
    Sat: long run