can't lose weight...

Options
so I've tried eating 1500, 1400, 1300, even 1200 (I starved) a day... but nothing seems to help with losing weight. I work out 6 times a week, three times with a trainer doing resistance and cardio, and three days by myself doing hard cardio as well.

I went off my anti depressants and have been off them for 6 weeks now. I gained about 30 pounds while on my anti depressants (suddenly, and without diet change). Now that I've been off them for this long I figure I should have them all out of my system.

I'm at a loss, I'm 185 and that's so much heavier than I have been in my entire life. any advice would help. Should I go low carb?

Replies

• sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you could please open your food diary, it would be easier to advise you where you might be going wrong. Remember to log everything you eat, and drink.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    How long did you try those different calorie amounts? You need to stick to a plan for at least 4-6 weeks before you can say it 'doesn't work'
  • alt1268
    alt1268 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Your doing a lot of exercise have u considered finding out what ur tdee is. That is the first place I would start. Then give it several weeks.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    How long did you try those different calorie amounts? You need to stick to a plan for at least 4-6 weeks before you can say it 'doesn't work'

This

Also it can take a surprisingly long time for meds to clear your system annoyingly, so eat 20% below your TDEE and stick with it for 6 weeks then reassess. :smile:
  • MissyMinus
    Options
    I gained 15kg in three months because I was bedridden from being sick. It was my heaviest weight ever, and I got very, VERY depressed. I just want to tell you, that whatever happens, keep your head up high, do your best to lose the weight, but try not to let your weight influence your life. I refused to see my friends because I felt fat, and was too embarrassed to tell them the truth. In the process I hurt many people, but mostly myself. Somewhere there is some lady dying to have your body. There is always someone bigger. Don't lose hope. You'll get your body back soon enough.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I would advise to definitely find out your TDEE and then do that minus 10-15%. You don't have that much to lose so you want to do it slowly so it will stay off. At your age and all those workout, you are most definitely not eating enough and your body is holding on to everything you feed it.

Check out the "In Place of a Road Map" group and read through all the stickies, especially the BMR/TDEE spreadsheet!

Also, the "Eat More to Weigh Less" group has an excellent sticky about patience and why the body does what it does.

And, yes, give it some time!

Best of Luck :)
  • emmeylou
    emmeylou Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am a strong believer in that there is no "right" way to lose weight, no perfect diet that will work for everyone. You could try to go low-carb, though maybe, instead of thinking about it as low carb, think about it as high protein. Instead of saying "i can't have pasta", just make your focus on your protein. Eat your chicken or your tuna or your "insert protein here" first, and then your veggies, and then have some "carbs"... you should be too full to eat much of it!

Some people do well on this diet because their bodies like it and respond well to it. Good luck!
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Meds stay in your system for a really, really long time. If it is because of the meds you aren't able to lose weight, it might be up to a year. I was on a medication for 3 months and it took another 8 months to fully clear my system.

I'm sure it feels frustrating but I would use this time to build healthy habits. Sounds like you are doing great with workouts. Find a healthy calorie level. Then, if it is the meds, when they finally leave your system, the pounds will start coming off without changing the healthy life you already have in place.
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    with all that working out, maybe you are not eating enough? I know it sounds weird, but sometimes, eating more will help you to lose. You can try that, I know that the harder you work out, the more fuel your body needs and if its not getting enough, it will try to 'reserve' and that slows the weight loss down. crazy but true!
  • nasoj007
    nasoj007 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Might seem a bit personal but did you get your doctors advice about stopping the depression meds? If you're still not in a good place mentally depression can wreak havoc on your weight in either direction... if the only reason you stopped the pills is the weight gain ask your doctor to put you on another and tell him the reason. Aside from that I agree, you have to find you calorie goal and stick with it for a while... give it some time. Also are you eating back at least some of your calories? If you're working out 6 times a week on 1200 cal a day that can cause you some issues too.
  • cherylatkwechanged
    cherylatkwechanged Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Might seem a bit personal but did you get your doctors advice about stopping the depression meds? If you're still not in a good place mentally depression can wreak havoc on your weight in either direction... if the only reason you stopped the pills is the weight gain ask your doctor to put you on another and tell him the reason. Aside from that I agree, you have to find you calorie goal and stick with it for a while... give it some time. Also are you eating back at least some of your calories? If you're working out 6 times a week on 1200 cal a day that can cause you some issues too.
    i was about to say the same, I am on depressants ...yes very low amounts now. There are other medications u can take, if you are still in a low place it will contribute to weight gain.

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD ME I think support is what we all need and I'd love to help that goes for anyone of course. I have met some amazing people on here who cheer me up and push me,also tell me off lol