Just Started, I need motivation!

Options
Hi there,
I'm new at this. I'm 23 and a student. I have always been "skinny fat" I weight around 135 now and I'm 5'1". I'm not delusional and don't think I'm obese. I feel okay about my overall appearance (it's amazing what you can cover with a love of baggy t shirts!) but I want to be truly fit and happy with my physique for the first time ever. I'm looking to lose about 20 lbs (again, I'm petite) and gain muscle/tone. My plan is to cut out all calories from drinks (so just water, black americano/espresso and black tea), limit wheat and sugar intake and to cut down portion sizes when I do splurge. Is there anything you can share with me to help me achieve this?

Replies

93634 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think adding chia seeds or flax seeds to any of your meals will help, not only does it make you feel more full, it helps getting any extra waste out of you. Just a tbsp. a day should do the trick. Good luck!
  • JenLeffelman
    Options
    Start strength training, I promise you won't baulk up but it will help a ton!
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Weigh, measure and log every single thing you put into your mouth. Track Potassium, Iron & Sodium along with Calories, Carbs and Fat.

You'll be surprised at the amount of info you think you already know about nutrition...but don't.

You can adjust your macros to lose weight, a little or a lot, or none at all.

Easy peasy, if you're committed and honest.
  • secretlyshipwreck
    Options
    Hi! I'm your height and a couple years older. I started at 144 pounds in December and I'm at 128 now. Like you're planning, I limited wheat and sugar -- I can count on one hand the times I've eaten bread since starting. It works well for me because bready foods trigger me into overeating like no other food can. When I want something that feels starchy, I eat quinoa or oatmeal or even cauliflower.

I also started eating my meals at specific times of day when possible, and made sure to eat a big portion of protein with every meal. I eat everything off a plate sitting at the table even if it's just a little snack, because grabbing food from the fridge leaves me unsatisfied and I end up doing it more and more.

I'm disabled so I can't give you much advice on exercise, but I'm sure others will have some input. Just remember if you get discouraged that even a couple of pounds shows up on tiny frames like ours, and if you do your best to stick with it you'll see results in no time!
  • kinda1dren
    kinda1dren Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    what is a macro? :flowerforyou: