Any MFP couples out there?

Options
Hi guys, am new to the MFP way. Both myself and my husband are doing it, but as a 6' 7" man with only about a stone to lose, compared with me, 5' 6" woman with about 5 stone to lose, we're really struggling to cook and eat together. For example, if I have a good tea, he will eat it too but then be really under his calorie goal.

What kind of things do you eat, and what can hubby eat to fill the gap?

I know it's probably an obvious answer but we're trying to work out a meal plan for next week, and hit a wall.

All help very much appreciated!

Thanks

Rachael x

Replies

• nikkohli
    nikkohli Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are on together but we don't really eat the same except dinner. We make our own breakfasts and lunches/snacks and at dinner he eats a larger portion than me. We make lots of egg dishes, soups, and fish or chicken meals.
  • chezz
    chezz Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    yes it can be hard by hubby only as half a stone now to lose but he will have bigger portions than me and he will have a treat once a day to make up is calories if not he was walking round like a zombie i try now not to think he got more than i have cause i keep thinking in time that will be me lol lol

good luck and hope you can find a plan that works for you both
  • vickyplum
    vickyplum Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    My SO and I eat different types of cereal and different snacks but we mostly have the same dinner
    usually has a slightly bigger portion than I do.

He's gluten free so I have to make sure everything is suitable

His snacks are usually NAKD bars they are all fruit he likes most of them, the only one I like is the
    cocoa mint
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nakd-Cocoa-Mint-Gluten-Free/dp/B0069RR4UM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1361124813&sr=8-3
    they arent bad calorie wise and you dont need to be gluten free to enjoy them

Hope that helps

Good luck in your journey xx
  • ShannonKN
    ShannonKN Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    My husband is trying to lose a lot more than I am, but he still gets a LOT more calories per day than I do. Like Nikkohli, we don't eat together for breakfast or lunch. Admittedly, I try hard to "save" calories for dinner so that the difference doesn't seem THAT bad. Normally, though, I just end up grumbling a little and having to eat smaller servings (or skip sides/desserts that he eats). Large volume, low-calorie things like salads help me a lot with the mental disconnect, letting me feel like I'm choosing a different ratio of salad to entree rather than feeling like I'm depriving myself of food as I watch him eat. (It doesn't help that my husband is a chef and keeps wanting to practice new recipes at home -- his recent bacon-apple-smoked gouda-mac-and-cheese was amazing and evil, all at once!)
  • CuteWittleWifey
    Options
    One thing I had to accept was that hubby and I were two different people.
    Thats when I decided to try vegetarianism. Him...not so much.
    Its easy.
  • szarlotka717
    szarlotka717 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My husband and I eat lunch separately on weekdays, and don't always eat breakfast together. I try to eat less during breakfast and lunch to save more calories for dinner (which we usually eat together). Part of the reason for my weight gain was splitting food 50/50 with my husband, so now we split portions about 40/60 during shared meals. Since I'm vegetarian and he's not, he sometimes makes a side of meat for himself that I have no interest in eating.

Good luck!
  • Sherrington737
    Sherrington737 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I can really appreciate the new ratios that I'm going to have to accept! Currently in child mode of "s'not fair!" when he gets a big portion, and I have to have a far smaller portion! As you can imagine, it doesn't help that he's 6' 7" so can eat faaaaar more than me!

Will be sending him to work with some home made breakfast bars that have around 350 calories, think ill be on porridge!

Thanks again x