Big, Big & Bigger

Options
Hi, Ive been on diets most of my adult life, and as subject says, ive just got bigger and bigger.. I think as i have become so confused on what to do. from Weight Watcher, Slimming World. Atkins, Cambridge & Slim Fast diets.. My poor body is so confused as i have many of the things im told in diets and so find i do a bit of each at times... Atkins and the blood group diets actually made me ill, and later put on weight.. Then once i had Hysterectomy all went south! And although ive recently been on WW and SW ive now read about the (Beyond Diet) which does make sense but im so concerned about eating more fat and ending up like Mrs Blobby.. Im hoping thru this site i can vent my frustrations and ask advice too... The only person i talk to is my daughter and i get an ear ache, as she says im doing it wrong.. Im Disabled so cannot do the sort of Exercise my mind wants me to do, so with age and that, i need all the help i can get... :ohwell: :happy:

Replies

• Skchers
    Skchers Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    You have picked a great place, MFP has alot of very helpful and supportive people . As for me just tracking my foods has heoped me to see were I can improve what choices I make. So I wish you the best of luck, and you can add me if you would like.:happy:
  • mwrh
    mwrh Posts: 4
    Options
    My suggestion for you is to give up the FAD diets. 9 times out of 10 they lead to disappointment. What you need to focus on is your relationship with the food you are eating. One of my favorite quotes is "If it comes from a plant eat it, if it's made in a plant don't. Start with small changes, focusing on the good food you do like. Then learn about portion sizes and from there start experimenting. When it comes to losing weight 90% of it is nutrition.

I hope you get something positive off this site. Good luck!
  • peachstategal
    peachstategal Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I just recently joined myself and am really into the food journaling. I had no idea that I was eating that much before. I think this is a great site because you can keep up with your food, exercise, and get motivation from the community. And, the biggest plus is that it is FREE! After I hit 40, the pounds have crept on in increments. I finally got on the scale after 3 mos and was really upset by how much I had gained. I also have very bad knees and can't even walk very far without pain. Good luck!
  • mem50
    mem50 Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Change What you eat and How you eat. Log your food...even if it seems not worth logging. LBT's are the worst to track. Stop the "fad" diets. WW can and does work for people. I have seen it. The rest...not so much. I did the SF diet for about 6 months and did lose about 50 lbs. Then they changed the product and site and it did not work so well.

I just cleaned up my eating habits as much as I could, knocked out 98% if the fast food and got a good food scale. Moderation and portion control is my new mantra.

I have back prolbems along with knee, ankle and hip troubles. I found water exercise to work the best for me when I started out. Now I mostly walk. The job I have gives me the rest of the workout I need for now.

I don't know how much help I could be but you can PM me anytime.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I went vegan and wheat and gluten free. I feel better. No more constipation ever! After the China Study, doctors and scientist learned that vegans are healthier, thinner, and disease free. ( see Dr Fuhrman's Fit for Life) They thought when they were studying these little villages that surely those who ate fish were healthier than vegans. To their suprise they were not.
    If you even compare potatoes and wheat, you will find that wheat spikes the appetite. Potatoes are high in potassium and fiber and helps satisfy hunger.
    This is the approach that I am using. I found that the American "balanced diet" was designed wrong. Consider how much money the agricultural department and Cattlemens association pay congress to promote and support them.
    Truthfully, I never thought that I could give up wheat, meat, and dairy.
    I thought meat is what sticks to the ribs and fights off hunger.
    We need dairy for calcium for the bones.
    Wheat is those golden waves of grain on which our country was built!
    Well meat is hard to digest and blocks the intestine.
    Wheat causes my arthritis to flare.
    And dairy was harder to drop because while it increases breast cancer, I did not have any.
  • kwimpress
    Options
    I understand where you are coming from, I too have joined them all! But I have to say that joining MFP has made a difference. as you can seeive not been a member for that long, but the encouragement from other people and adding new friends for support, whether questionning or just getting frustrations out in the open is sooooo beneficial.anything can be said and the people i have befriended are not judgemetal, they are supportive, and I welcome any new friends so add me if you like.:happy: