Turmeric-The Scientific Evidence

Is there scientific evidence confirming how turmeric is able to do what researchers say it does? Is there documented peer support for the claims being made that turmeric not only inhibits the development of cancer but also abrogates it's growth and metastasizing once it is diagnosed?

This is from an interview with the world's leading authority on turmeric/curcumin research. He is Ph.D, Bhrat Aggarwal, Professor of Cancer Research and Professor of Cancer Medicine (Biochemistry) and Chief, Cytokine Research Laboratory, Department of Experimental Therapeutics, University of Texas/MD Anderson Cancer Clinic.

The "Christian Wilde Stem Cell and Turmeric and Research Report" explains how through a process known as apoptosis (cell death) turmeric is able to actually instruct the cancer cell to self-destruct. This process of programmed cell death (PCD) is the result physicians hope to attain in treating patients with chemotherapy and radiation. These treatments kill cancer cells but unfortunately they cannot distinguish the cancer cell from the healthy cell and both cells are destroyed in the process. According to Professor Aggarwal, turmeric has the ability to target and kill the cancer cell while leaving the healthy cell intact. Dr. Sharon McKenna and her research team published their findings in a most recent issue of the British Journal Cancer, further confirming the phenomena of cell death. Dr. McKenna found that curcumin began to kill cancer cells within 24 hours. The cells also began to digest themselves, after the curcumin triggered lethal [cell death] signals. Turmeric can reduce some of the toxicity created by chemotherapy as well as improving the result of chemotherapy and radiation when used in combination with certain drugs. There are some remarkable recent findings from Israel in treating pancreatic disease.
Scientists understand how turmeric is able to function as an anti-microbial, anti-infection, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant, immune stimulating, anti-cancer and as a natural COX-2 inhibitor of inflammation for arthritis and other inflammatory diseases. Yes, as amazing as it seems, turmeric/curcumin possesses the ability to perform as an agent in all of the above. No wonder all the excitement-but why has this realization taken this long? Does the reason lie in part in the fact that the pharmaceutical industry has been trying for decades to have the FDA change turmeric's classification to a drug instead of a spice so they might synthesize curcumin's properties into an expensive drug?
Turmeric for heart disease? Studies have shown turmeric's dual ability to help lower LDL cholesterol and to lower inflammation (a major killer in heart disease). One issue of the report describes how studies have shown turmeric actually reduces the size of the enlarged heart which is a critical result of heart failure.

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    TL;DR

I eat it because it tastes good, and doesn't appear to be poisonous.

(actually, that probably describes most of my food choices)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    God I love Turmeric. Such a pain to cook with tho. I'm such an armature and always end up poking things and end up turning yellow.
  • I have read a lot about the beneficial properties of Turmeric, it is supposed to also be a potent anti inflammatory.

I actually take a Turmeric supplement daily (as does my dog) which is supposed to help maintain joint health and minimize inflammation.

You may find this website very interesting:

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/turmeric.html

I think there are a huge amount of benefits of this potent herb and I am surprised that there has not been more research done into it. I suspect here, as it is a natural herb, there is no money to be made in it for these huge Pharmaceutical companies, but from the research I had done when looking for a natural anti inflammatory for my dog, I read a lot of positive results from it and suffice to say purchased Turmeric capsules.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Spices are a wonderful thing those indians were onto something when they made spicey dishes with many other herbs and spices to not only enhance flavor but keep there food safe in the heat and humidity.

This is why it's always wonderful to eat the variety of food we have offered.
  • CoderGal
    I have read a lot about the beneficial properties of Turmeric, it is supposed to also be a potent anti inflammatory.

I actually take a Turmeric supplement daily (as does my dog) which is supposed to help maintain joint health and minimize inflammation.

You may find this website very interesting:

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/turmeric.html

I think there are a huge amount of benefits of this potent herb and I am surprised that there has not been more research done into it. I suspect here, as it is a natural herb, there is no money to be made in it for these huge Pharmaceutical companies, but from the research I had done when looking for a natural anti inflammatory for my dog, I read a lot of positive results from it and suffice to say purchased Turmeric capsules.
    Sorry to hear about your (gorgeous) dog. A friend of mine with arthritis started adding this to her diet and she swears it helped (she also incorporated a lot of anti-inflammatory foods). If you Google scholar Turmeric you'll get about 47,100 results. So there has been a bit of research on it!
  • droneofvelvet
    droneofvelvet Posts: 290 Member
    I bought some fresh roots from the chinese market, but it turned my kitchen counters, fingers, nails and juicer a bright orange that would not go away. I was going to try juicing it. It had a very strong flavor (I used way too much). Any tips?
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Yet another wonderful reason my homemade chicken soup is so awesome!
  • CoderGal
    I bought some fresh roots from the chinese market, but it turned my kitchen counters, fingers, nails and juicer a bright orange that would not go away. I was going to try juicing it. It had a very strong flavor (I used way too much). Any tips?

Tip: Bath in it for a neat Halloween costume lol.

It's also nice on chicken and in soup
  • I take turmeric tablets when I start feeling DOMS set in, and it helps immensely. I have also heard about its cancer-fighting properties, but have not looked into it too much. I really believe that there are food cures for most of the illnesses that plague us, so it doesn't surprise me at all.

I will have to try it in my next batch of chicken soup, that sounds yummy.
  • :huh:
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Oh that sounds good. I just made chicken soup last night, going to add some tumeric to what's left of it. Thanks!
    I love to make stur-fry veggies with chicken and tumeric.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    "Does the reason lie in part in the fact that the pharmaceutical industry has been trying for decades to have the FDA change turmeric's classification to a drug instead of a spice so they might synthesize curcumin's properties into an expensive drug?"

You got it. It's all about the $$$$$. :mad: I have been taking turmeric for my arthritis for years and it works beautifully--with NO side effects. :happy:
  • SanteMulberry

LOL---yes, it will stain ANYTHING it touches (you can use chlorine bleach to take the stains out of most things---don't get it on fabric though or you are likely s.o.l.) My husband drinks a concoction that he makes for himself that he throws turmeric into. He spilled it on my best tablecloth one day---the stain is STILL there after repeated washings. :ohwell:

As for including it in food, the only thing that I have included it in successfully are various curries. It is known as "the poor man's saffron" so you could try substituting it for saffron in dishes that call for saffron (saffron is VERY good for you too, though). ALL spices have excellent properties. Their greatest benefit so far seems to be their anti-inflammatory properties but researchers are just beginning to investigate marvelous healing properties of various spices. The other day, I just saw a new claim that drinking sage tea will forestall age-related memory decline.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Good to know. Thanks!
  • SanteMulberry

I just made some a few days ago. I put fresh sage in it----mmmmmm.
  • SanteMulberry
    I really believe that there are food cures for most of the illnesses that plague us, so it doesn't surprise me at all.

Hippocrates said in 400 B.C., "Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food." I think he was on to something. :wink:
  • I use it with pretty much anything I cook. My favorite is to cut up organic red potatoes (leave the skin on), organic onions/peppers, turmeric powder, little coconut oil or olive oil, let it all cook. Then add a little organic ketchup. The turmeric and ketchup compliment each other well. It's really good. I also throw in some organic spinach at the end; Let that cook down a little and then you're ready to eat. Add a little Himalayan Crystal salt.

I also take the turmeric supplements. Use some in my smoothies and teas as well. :)
  • honeyandmilk
    honeyandmilk Posts: 160 Member
    Tumeric is a pain in my *kitten*. Stains my fingers and everything they touch. I love it, but only put it in my Indian food. I rode the supplement train a few years ago and it did nothing for me other than make my wallet weep.