Sugar guilt

Options
So I didn't really have a bad craving problem until Valentines Day came up. Before, when I saw a cookie, I passed it, when I was offered a pizza I decline it but this time around I just had it. I ate a whole bunch of cookies with no remorse and ate 3 mini cupcakes after that. (They were leftovers from yesterday's V-day party) Then I started to have cravings again, then I said "No more empty carbs!" and ate an apple... then another apple. The apples made me super full and content. No more cravings but I still feel pretty bad. I love fruit but I know it has sugar, I was wondering how everyone else combats their food cravings/hunger guilt free. I'm a college student and I'm going on a meal plan so it's harder for me to go to a grocery store, but regardless I'd love to hear what everyone else does.

Sorry for the long post.
I'd love the support. Thank you! :D

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Not exactly sure if you are feeling bad about the fruit, cupcakes, or just sugar in general. A couple thoughts did come to mind though:

1) You don't need to completely eliminate anything from your diet to be successful. Just stay within your calorie goal. I applaud you for having will power to resist candy/sweet cravings however there is nothing wrong with giving in occasionally. In fact, if you hold off for too long, you may end up having an all out binge when you finally do give in and have a sweet. This is why I think its better to just give into your temptation and have a 100 calorie sugar snack vs waiting for 3 weeks and having a 1000 calorie snack.

2) Fruit has sugar, yes. And sugar is sugar. However fruit also has a ton of vitamins and fiber which are essential in any diet. I think anyone would argue that a piece of fruit is probably better for you than a cupcake- however everything in moderation is key. Whether it be fruit... a cupcake.. etc.
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Not exactly sure if you are feeling bad about the fruit, cupcakes, or just sugar in general. A couple thoughts did come to mind though:

1) You don't need to completely eliminate anything from your diet to be successful. Just stay within your calorie goal. I applaud you for having will power to resist candy/sweet cravings however there is nothing wrong with giving in occasionally. In fact, if you hold off for too long, you may end up having an all out binge when you finally do give in and have a sweet. This is why I think its better to just give into your temptation and have a 100 calorie sugar snack vs waiting for 3 weeks and having a 1000 calorie snack.

2) Fruit has sugar, yes. And sugar is sugar. However fruit also has a ton of vitamins and fiber which are essential in any diet. I think anyone would argue that a piece of fruit is probably better for you than a cupcake- however everything in moderation is key. Whether it be fruit... a cupcake.. etc.
    I was feeling pretty guilty about all the sugar in general and you are right, I held out my cravings for so long I did binge. I noticed I binge badly when I do restrict myself. I also agree that I should just go for fruit when the going gets tough. Thanks, I needed to hear this. I feel renewed. Thank you! :D
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hah I gave in. But I can tell you it is all a mental thing. Saying you can't have it just makes you just want it more. When I tried it I thought it wasn't worth it. After weeks of eating healthy it just didn't taste good any more. It put my peace at mind. Now I can stare at it and think of how nasty it tasted. Lol make sure a terrible cook bakes it for you haha that'd make it twice as helpful :) it's all about proportion! I read an article of a lady who left all kinds of ice cream in her freezer the first couple weeks she ate it but she eventually got over it and didn't want it like she used to. Good luck! :)
  • dstuttgen
    Options
    Our nutritionist/wellness director at work told me that our bodies know how to handle naturally occurring sugar such as that in fruits. It's the processed stuff that makes our bodies work overtime processing it. So; don't feel guilty about the apples and forgive yourself the momentary indulgence. Allow yourself a treat, in moderation, every now and then so you don't get bowled over when the opportunity to chow down strikes.

Cheers, Dan
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Hah I gave in. But I can tell you it is all a mental thing. Saying you can't have it just makes you just want it more. When I tried it I thought it wasn't worth it. After weeks of eating healthy it just didn't taste good any more. It put my peace at mind. Now I can stare at it and think of how nasty it tasted. Lol make sure a terrible cook bakes it for you haha that'd make it twice as helpful :) it's all about proportion! I read an article of a lady who left all kinds of ice cream in her freezer the first couple weeks she ate it but she eventually got over it and didn't want it like she used to. Good luck! :)
    It's really true! You want what you can't have right? I would also have to agree with your point of getting tired of junk food overtime, certain foods that I had undying cravings for aren't as big of a trigger it used to be after I started eating healthier. Thanks for sharing! Especially about the part about you caving in as well. I feel better I'm not the only one in this struggle! :) Good luck to us both!
  • MinyMinnie
    Options
    Our nutritionist/wellness director at work told me that our bodies know how to handle naturally occurring sugar such as that in fruits. It's the processed stuff that makes our bodies work overtime processing it. So; don't feel guilty about the apples and forgive yourself the momentary indulgence. Allow yourself a treat, in moderation, every now and then so you don't get bowled over when the opportunity to chow down strikes.

Cheers, Dan
    Thank you! That makes me feel better. I will take your advice on moderation! :D