6 weeks to loose at least 3 clothes sizes for a man

Options
so ill be get straight to the point. I have a new job as a trainee social worker which am excited about but even the interviewer said i need to loose some weight just as standard for this job, I start in 6 weeks tomorro and need help. How many pounds do u need to loose to drop a clothing size for a man?? I want to loose at least 3 in that space of time unless obviously its impossible depending on how many lbs ill need to loose. Thanks

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Can an employer even legally discriminate this way (aside from the military)? As far as what you need to lose, it depends on your current build. Where are you at, and where do you want to be?
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Lose weight to be a social worker? On what grounds? Why can they dictate to you what weight you should be? How does your weight affect your ability to become a social worker? I'm presuming you are not morbidly obese here of course.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Hmm not sure about sizes for men, but for a women 10lbs is good for 2 sizes say from a size 6 to a 4, just aim for 300 minutes of cardio a week , the kind where your shirt is dripping sweat, eat super clean, drink tons of water , add in some whey protein powder shakes a day , 2 will work..goodluck
  • georgina1970
    georgina1970 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound very realistic to me, but it does depend on where you are at now. The quickest way to loose body fat would be to do a heavy weight lifting programme with a trainer. You can still achieve a significant improvement, if that's what you want. Stay focused and enjoy it. You will feel great after you start.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    it varies by person, so there's no accurate answer to give you
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Hmm not sure about sizes for men, but for a women 10lbs is good for 2 sizes say from a size 6 to a 4, just aim for 300 minutes of cardio a week , the kind where your shirt is dripping sweat, eat super clean, drink tons of water , add in some whey protein powder shakes a day , 2 will work..goodluck

^Excellent advice^
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    A general rule is that every 10-15 pounds takes a person down a size. Of course it would differ based upon where a person's body is burning off the fat. The quickest way that I've read/noticed to lose weight is to do high protein/low or no carb (no sugars) - like atkins, the first few weeks of South Beach. About 10 years ago, I was redecorating a home (painting, moving furniture, etc) while doing Atkins and lost about 20 lbs in a month... and then I started fainting so I stopped. It's not that easy to do and not healthy long-term but for the short-term, it's the most effective I've seen. Also cut out soda for that time period and drink a ton of water.
  • logicman69
    logicman69 Posts: 1,034 Member
    Options
    Lose weight to be a social worker? On what grounds? Why can they dictate to you what weight you should be? How does your weight affect your ability to become a social worker? I'm presuming you are not morbidly obese here of course.

Unfortunately as long as it is not Age, Race, or Gender.. an employer can set any standard they want when hiring an employee.

To the OP, I've noticed a difference in my clothes every 10lbs or so, especially in my waist size. You might be able to do that in 3 weeks, but it will be tough. I would really have to buckle down with the eating. No alcohol, watch the sodium, and make sure you are getting in at least 60 minute of HARD exercise a day. Maybe split it up and do 30 minutes of cardio in the morning and hit the weights later.

Good luck on the new job!
  • liamweightloss
    Options
    woah some great advice here off every1. Gonna take it all into consideration and just eat clean stay off the booze and drink just water for the next 6 weeks :)

and my boss didnt mean it vicious just coz families may not take me serious if am obese and am lecturing them on healthy eating for their kids. And I wholely agreed with her :)
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

Unfortunately as long as it is not Age, Race, or Gender.. an employer can set any standard they want when hiring an employee.

To the OP, I've noticed a difference in my clothes every 10lbs or so, especially in my waist size. You might be able to do that in 3 weeks, but it will be tough. I would really have to buckle down with the eating. No alcohol, watch the sodium, and make sure you are getting in at least 60 minute of HARD exercise a day. Maybe split it up and do 30 minutes of cardio in the morning and hit the weights later.

I'm really surprised by that. Obviously your in the USA, the OP is in the UK. Same rules apply? Genuinely intrigued now. Did a quick google search but couldn't find any relevant info on weight based discrimination in the UK.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    woah some great advice here off every1. Gonna take it all into consideration and just eat clean stay off the booze and drink just water for the next 6 weeks :)

and my boss didnt mean it vicious just coz families may not take me serious if am obese and am lecturing them on healthy eating for their kids. And I wholely agreed with her :)

That doesn't really sound in-line with social work values, actually.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Going from a 6 to 4 is obviously not where you are. Yes, your clothing will be looser and since you are a male you will probably lose better than your female counterparts. Your weight really has nothing to do with your ability to do this job. It will help you no matter what. Do your best but do not starve yourself. You will only frustrate yourself and the tendency will be to binge or go back to where you were. Stay the course and if your employer sees you are a work in progress, you'll go far. Good luck.
  • thatsillyshana
    Options

I kind of agree with your boss that it is hard to take someone seriously about health if they are not healthy, like getting advice from a doctor who is a junkie. Just focus on health and yourself! Don't do anything drastic and be a role model!

p.s. I love love love social workers! :]
  • brian1383
    brian1383 Posts: 39 Member
    Options

Not in all States. Some have weight as a protected class. States can go beyond Federal EEOC protections. Just sayin'.

Lose weight for health, but no reputable employer would make such a request, unless it is job specific. Cops, soldiers, firefighters .... maybe. Social work. Get healthy and find a new job!