vibration plate

Options
Hi I saw a deal for 20 sessions of the vibration plate at a local salon. I was thinking of booking. Has anyone had results with these and how many calories do they burn. I could not find it on the exercise database.
Thanks
terri:smile:

Replies

• emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    What is a vibration plate?!
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm all for anything that says it "vibrates" heh heh
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Hi I just took a taster session free at a local place I got a great workout. It is about twice the intensity of a normal workout because of muscle fibre activation and can improve stability. I really enjoyed it but I think it would depend on the instructor
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Why not just exercise and eat less? Sounds like a waste of time and money
  • caroleannlight
    caroleannlight Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You do exercise on the plate you don't just stand there.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/equipment/do-vibration-plates-really-work.html#b

I had never heard of this before. When I first read it I was thinking it was one of these.
    vibrating_belt.jpg
  • AngelUK1985
    AngelUK1985 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    did you decide to do it and was it any good for you?
  • LdyPsych
    LdyPsych Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/fitness/equipment/do-vibration-plates-really-work.html#b

I had never heard of this before. When I first read it I was thinking it was one of these.
    vibrating_belt.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: wow, my neighbor had one of those when I was very young and when you put that belt around me it vibrated so fast that it made me itch like a mad person! At least it increased blood flow :drinker:
  • Sqeekyjojo
    Sqeekyjojo Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Mechanical snake oil.

They're a great gimmick, as they promise magic results with hardly any effort.

There's one at my gym and the PTs actively advise people against using it, as it's a waste of the clients' time to do it, in their opinion.
  • xortion
    Options
    I used this at my gym for 2 months and lost 2 inches but not sure if it was that or exercise, personally I think it was the latter
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options

vibrating_belt.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: wow, my neighbor had one of those when I was very young and when you put that belt around me it vibrated so fast that it made me itch like a mad person! At least it increased blood flow :drinker:

I remember when these things were popular. My mom joined a "fitness center" when I was little (like 1968). This contraption and the "roller thing" were extremely popular. (I'll see if I can find a photo of the roller machine.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    cheaper and more effective to sit on an old poorly maintained bus for an hour
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    These things are back. I saw an infomercial a couple weeks ago for something suspiciously similar to these old things. It just made me laugh.

Oh, I just looked up the Vibration Plate, and that's what I saw in the ad.
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Nevermind - How do I embed an image to appear here?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    lets work this thru together. you stand on top of a machine that vibrates. can anyone here think of any reason that would burn a ton of calories? i mean, come up with one thing you can say with a straight face and say GTFO to yourself. I certainly can't. if you can think of a logical reason this would work, spend the money, if not, i hear a moderate calorie deficit combined with moderate exercise has worked well for some people
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Make sure you wear saran wrap around your midsection when you go. It will double the effectiveness and melt off the inches!
  • Gemini_at_36
    Options
    :smile:
  • buddysmom35
    buddysmom35 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    my thought exactly - that vibrating machine. And that roller thing was popular at "Elaine Powers". That was a women's fitness center back in the day. Way back. LOL
  • BethVan13
    BethVan13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a vibration plate machine. It is not a miracle worker, nor is it snake oil. It is a tool that can help you increase the intensity of your workout.
    The vibrations makes your muscles do mini contractions while you do the actual move (ex squats/lunges/dumbell work) which simply makes your body work harder. I really like to use mine, but it's not for everyone, and results depend on how much you put into it ( just like everything else in life)
    It's kind of like asking if a fitness ball will help you use weight... if all you ever do is sit on it, the ball is not going to do much more than help you engage some stability muscles. But if you perform exercises on the ball, it increases the effectiveness of the moves you do.
    Most companies like to claim just standing on their vibration plates will melt away the fat, which isn't true, but it can be used to up the intensity of your workouts.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    lets work this thru together. you stand on top of a machine that vibrates. can anyone here think of any reason that would burn a ton of calories? i mean, come up with one thing you can say with a straight face and say GTFO to yourself. I certainly can't. if you can think of a logical reason this would work, spend the money, if not, i hear a moderate calorie deficit combined with moderate exercise has worked well for some people

There is one thing I can think of that you could do on a vibration plate that would burn calories but I'd definitely get a strike for saying..lmao!!!

And this would suck for me. I've not gotten over my vertigo 100% and I've no sense of balance as it is. I could see me tumbling off quite a bit..hahaha