Help! New HRM.

Options
The majority of people that I've heard from on MFP agree that the only way to be sure about the amount of calories burned is to use a heart rate monitor. So, I bought a cheaper one for around $20. It reads my heart rate, has a stopwatch and a built in pedometer, but how do I know how many calories that I burned? Do I go by what the pedometer says? Does that even have anything to do with my heart rate, or just the amount of steps that I take? Help me, please!

Replies

• SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Not all HRMs actually count calories. Does this one specifically say it does? Does it have a chest strap?
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't have a chest strap. It looks like a watch.
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    can you connect it to a smartphone or a computer? if you can, then you might be able to use it with endomondo or another calorie counting app. those apps will turn your heart rate into calories burned and a lot of them even upload your workouts to mfp.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    The most accurate ones have a chest strap - I have the Polar FT4 and it records heart rate and calories burned on a watch-like second piece. It will track caloreis over an entire day and I used to it to get the accurate number for TDEE. Maybe get one with a chest strap?
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you should return that one and buy one that includes a chest strap. Even if the one you have now did include a calorie counter, it would more than likely be inaccurate.
  • Fragilebird24
    Fragilebird24 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    On average, how much do the HRM with chest straps cost and where could I get one?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    On average, how much do the HRM with chest straps cost and where could I get one?

I got my Polar FT4 on amazon for $70
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options

Ebay and Amazon will be your friend, you can find awesome deals. I paid 18 bucks for my HRM w/calorie counter and chest strap
  • jriehl08
    jriehl08 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I bought the polar FT1 no calorie counter but I get an average heart rate from it then use www.shapesense.com to get calories burnt number from that site. I have only had the polar for 2 days now but I really think it helps to push your workout.
  • beeblebrox82
    beeblebrox82 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    take it back and buy something from Polar. Be prepared to spend more than $20
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority here. You need one with a chest strap to be accurate.
  • dallas4u
    Options
    I would buy a HRM w/ chest strap just like everyone says. I bought the Polar FT4 a few days ago and it is very simple - just gives HR and calories burned. It also is coded so it doesn't pick up other transmitting devices (i.e. equipment, other peoples HRMs etc).
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Definitely buy a Polar with a chest strap! Under $100 and is well worth it if you're serious about losing weight.