Cheat days= good or bad??

Options
2»

Replies

• mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I don't really have "cheat" days or meals. I have days where I eat things I don't eat everyday. Family get togethers, holidays etc...I don't consider them cheating I just consider it life, enjoying it and my family and the food that goes along with it. I may get an extra workout in or not. I workout hard and I eat healthy more often than not. I do not "diet". I do not have a list of foods that are off limits. If I want it and it fits my cals, I will have it. However, as I have gotten more fit and work hard to hit my fitness goals a lot of things I ate before just aren't worth it anymore. I am satisfied with a rich piece of dark chocolate instead of an entire milk chocolate candy bar. Instead of ice cream I am loving my Greek yogurt with fresh fruit and honey. It is a wonderful feeling to be free of those feelings of guilt and shame from eating something forbidden. The food has lost it's hold over me.
  • LavenderBouquet
    LavenderBouquet Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days often and I don't do them as part of boosting my metabolism when I do take them. It's more out of convenience or there's a special day coming like a birthday. It's possible if you've plateaued that changing up your routine will get your body back in gear but I'm not sure about it actually improving your metabolism significantly. I found cheat days/meals make it harder to get back in the groove of things and I get cravings for a couple days after. Whatever works for you personally I think is the best bet :flowerforyou:
  • jascat83
    Options
    Personally, I have one "cheat day" a week - Saturday. It's not a complete free-for-all day, but I can eat basically what I want guilt free as long as I've had a standard, healthy breakfast.
    My diet involves no sugar, so I don't really crave sugar anymore, but I still like having some chocolate when I'm allowed.
    I count, but don't care...

How is this going for you? The no-sugar thing?? I've just started day 2 of no-sugar and it's a struggle but I'm sure it's better for me. Only problem is my morning coffee is no longer on my breakfast listing cause I can't have coffee without sugar - now I have decaf tea.
  • TheNewBlake
    TheNewBlake Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i dont have a cheat day..
    if i can resist eating chocolate i do..
    if i really want some.. i eat a tinnny piece
    if i my family buys pizza.. ill eat a tinnny like 100 calorie piece
    but mostly i try to stay away and the only time i mess up is usually dinner because ive had a light breakfast and lunch and im craving food but i make sure it doesnt go over calorie intake for the day
  • ThinWhiteDuchess
    ThinWhiteDuchess Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Cheat days as a sort of bargain with one's self are a rather controversial issue. The 'If I am good for a week I am allowed anything I want for a day' type is fine, helps a lot of people. It's when it becomes 'I've been good for the week, now I can binge my way through the weekend and nothing counts' that one finds one has a problem.
  • feelagain
    Options
    I hate whole cheat days. I end up feeling like SUCH crap if I eat terribly all day. What about a cheat meal? Or a cheat dessert? I let myself have a cupcake from whole foods the other day that had 31 grams of sugar. Normally I'd NEVER let myself eat something like that... but it was Valentine's Day and that seemed like a good excuse for a little cheat.
  • Chris0h9
    Chris0h9 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I would say bad, go for cheat meals. If you binge/cheat for an entire day calories are gonna add up. I like to, for example, once a week, instead of getting myself a healthy meal I'll get myself something at McDonald's (usually a Burger with a snack wrap, McNuggets, or a McFlurry). I don't get the fries/coke though.