Starting today

Hi. I have just started myfitnesspal today.
I was using another popular app but this seems more user-friendly and has a lot more little plusses. I did want a goal of losing 2 pounds per week and I see the best I could get with recommended settings is 1.5 pounds. I can deal with that for now, maybe if I work hard I can exceed it!
Just wanting to start some dialogue and looking for encouragement. Have been through a very difficult year and gained a lot of weight.
I have an initial goal of going from 171 down to 145 (I am 5'6" with a small/medium frame); 47 years old. I hope my goal is realistic. I wanted to lose most the weight by May 1st. Also a 30 year (Yikes!) high school reunion this year!
I used to exercise a lot and have been very sedentary, so I hope my exercise starts to play a big role in my weight loss.
Thanks for any encouragement, tips or comments.

Replies

• Welcome and best of luck!! I'm 5'7", 46 and I lost 56lbs in 8months! Feel free to friend me!
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 150 Member
    Hi,
    Just eat the right foods ,small healthy meals and snacks they say 6 small meals a day,thats what I do.Breakfast,then after I workout I will drink a protein drink and I count that as a snack,light lunch then a snack like fruit,carrots something like that,then a healthy dinner.Im not starving myself and you need to workout.Start off first carido,power walking or whatver you enjoy doing,after you lose a few pounds then you can start doing weights and stand up ab workout and flood worouts for abs,then once you lose I started doing circuit training and thats what really will make you lose weight and gain lean muscles .I workout out now 6 days a week but I started it 5 days a week.It depends on your body and how you feel.You should give your body a rest peiord .i hope this helps you and good luck.
  • Thepeacedove
    Thepeacedove Posts: 84 Member
    Hey good luck to you! I joined MFP on Jan 21/13 and so far I have lost 16.4 lb. I want to lose 100 pounds or at least get to something reasonable for my height and age. I am only 5' 3" and I am 63 years old. This is such a wonderful site to log all that you eat. Sure makes you take note when you see the calories that you are stuffing in your mouth. I have been faithfully logging everything that I eat and exercising at least 30 minutes every single day. I love food--always have--and I hate exercising, but I have seen some results which are amazing. Tomorrow is DAY 28 for me and it is my weigh-in day! Hoping there is a minus on the scales. Please add me to your friend list.
  • Jenn010101
    Jenn010101 Posts: 18 Member
    I am also starting today. I have worked as a Lab tech for the last 2 years so "quick" lunches have slowly allowed me to gain weight, especially around my midsection. I have gained about 20 pounds in the last 2 years and I miss having energy. I find I'm currently in a slump of coming home after a long day of work and sitting on the couch watching tv and of course enjoying the chips that go with it. My goal is to go back to the 160 lbs that I was 2 years ago at a healthy rate of course. I am learning that salads with fun ingredients like strawberries and almonds can taste just as great as pizza from the cafeteria. I hope this site gives me the support I need to obtain this goal. I have a gym membership but their personal assessment appointments just left me feeling like a failure. Even when I was 162 lbs they said I was overweight and still needed to continue their personal training sessions and the personal trainer wasn't very positive so I ended up not going anymore. Good luck to everyone on here and I'd love to hear your stories of success!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Good luck to you! Feel free to add me.