Giving up drinking, looking for support

Options
Hey, this is my second time around on MFP. I lost around 40 lbs and gained it back (with a bit more).

This time around I'm hoping to be more successful, but I have an additional challenge.

I've decided to stop drinking alcohol, because I'm finally admitting to myself that I have a problem controlling how much I drink and how I behave.

Looking for friends who are in a similar position or just anyone to help me stay motivated. I'm ready to do this the right way this time around.

Replies

• Bowsergirl
    Bowsergirl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    People with open food diaries would be great :)
  • mrodrigue2013
    mrodrigue2013 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there this is my first time on mfp .. your welcomed to add me.. love to help with the support
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hi Bowsergirl

I haven't had a drink in over ten years.
    I gave it up for a variety of reasons and I must say that I haven't missed it.
    Feel free to add me, I would be very happy to support you.
    My diary is open to friends.
    kind regards,

Ben
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Welcome to add me. I use to drink to relax after a stressy day at work, but i hardly touch it now. It helps as my other half doesn't drink at all.
  • anewlife4me8610
    anewlife4me8610 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That is a big step in the right direction! Congratulations on that! when you drink it is one, FATTENING and two it makes it hard to make good choices to eat when you are wasted...lol I quit drinking and did for the same reasons. I could not drink sensibly and it was just better for me to quit. good luck with that and you are doing the right thing!
  • alsoagood1
    alsoagood1 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking about 14 years ago. Like you I was finding a problem with what I drank, how much, how often and my actions when I was drinking. I was also divorcing my husband who also had a drinking problem. It was tough at first but it has been so worth it in the long run. I can't say I haven't had A drink because I have had a few over the years but its not something that is front and center in my life. I just think of all the empty calories you are saving each day or each week. Good luck to you. If you need help or encouragement from an"old lady" let me know.
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You are welcome to add me. I am what I would call a weekend drinker. I would drink anywhere from one to two 12 packs of beer each weekend. One of my goals is to stop being a weekend drinker and only have a beer on occasion.

I have been on here for 40+ days and I had 3 beers at the restaurant one time. We were celebrating a couple of birthdays in the family. This is how I want to drink. Next Saturday I am going to a wedding. Again I consider this an occasion to have a few beers. Not the fact that it is Saturday.
  • Bowsergirl
    Options
    Thanks so much for the support everyone.
    I'm feeling really positive about this decision.
  • NQuinn2016
    Options
    I had to give up alcohol due to a medication that I'm on for the time being. Haven't touched it in 2 months and it's the best I've felt in a long time! Also had to give up caffiene, dairy, chocolate, vinegar based products, and a list of about 30 other things haha. Feel free to add me! I'm new on here and always looking for new fitness and motivation pals!
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me :) I'm on here daily, open diary, and while I don't have a drinking problem, I am dealing with my children's father who is an alcoholic so I can relate and would love to support you all the way!!!
  • juliedor
    juliedor Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Hi feel free to add me my diary is open.I haven't had a drink this year.I don't want to drink so many calories and I too have trouble limiting my consumption.I find it much easier to just not have any alcohol!
  • MissAnya88
    Options
    Hi,
    Decided to give up drinking for a month after many a drunk/wine related tweet...11 days to go.
    Good luck
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Good for you! The most difficult step is recognizing that drinking has become a problem for you. I've been sober 19 years. Feel free to add me as a friend if you like.
  • mfrey2012
    mfrey2012 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this one - I NEED to GREATLY Reduce the amount of Alcohol that I consume, as for the same reasons as you. I make bad judgement calls and eating choices.

I am making a pledge to myself today - to only have one drink a month - and it can only be with my husband.

I COULD TOTALLY USE the support - as I have been thinking about this decision ALL Day!!

Together we CAN DO THIS!! :)

I will add you!!
  • sallyaj
    sallyaj Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I used to drink several glasses of wine a day - almost every day. My first two weeks on this diet I gave it up completely -- first just to see if I can (and I easily can) and second because I didn't want anything standing in the way of meeting my goal.

Now I am learning to recognize my cues for thirst and drink water, coffee, tea, or a sugarless drink.

I found it's good to have a replacement drink that you look forward to. Mine is diet root beer. Though, not usually a soda drinker, I have always loved root beer from the time I was a kid. Now, when I get the urge for a glass of wine, which is usually when I get home from work, I have a glass of root beer instead.

Good luck -- you are committed now and on the right track!
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to add me. I drink very seldom, I know it's not good for me, and it sure loosens my inhibitions around what I eat.

I have a lot of alcoholics in my life; have you thought about finding a group for support? I know a lot of people who have had a lot of help that way. I found a lot of help and support in Al Anon groups.
  • Bowsergirl
    Options
    You're welcome to add me. I drink very seldom, I know it's not good for me, and it sure loosens my inhibitions around what I eat.

I have a lot of alcoholics in my life; have you thought about finding a group for support? I know a lot of people who have had a lot of help that way. I found a lot of help and support in Al Anon groups.

I was hoping to try quitting on my own first. But I'm going to start seeing a therapist soon.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I just quit 2 weeks ago because it was becoming a big negative in my life. It's made the eating right and working out so much easier.

My diary is closed only because I never organize it, i just throw everything in there and I get tired of comments about what food I ate when, but if you'd like to add me, I'd love to share the journey.
  • ronkelley2
    ronkelley2 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    i gave up drinking in 1982. it is not easy to do. if i can help i will. add if you would like too......... my problem is food today... yes i am in aa......
  • Stinkerbelle84
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I realized a long time ago that I have zero control when it comes to alcohol. I only drink about once a year now.