Ex-anorexic, when to stop eating?

Options
Hey all,
I'm a recovered anorexic (weight recovered for 8 months, BMI 20.8, eat normally, seeing dietitian and doc and both say I'm fine) with no history of being overweight--HOWEVER...
Just this week, I've started just eating nonstop. The other day I ate half a container of peanut butter to supplement my usual meals (by the spoon...in one sitting). Today I had almost an entire container of cream cheese! I've never, ever struggled with this before in my life, and I can't tell if I'm just super hungry or what.
Thoughts? I thought my metabolism was slower after having an ED?

Replies

• SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing a therapist? If so, I would talk to them or your doctor. Binge eating is also disordered eating.
  • SeoulSilkie
    Options
    Agreed. If you're still seeing your therapist, please have a talk with her or him.

I've been there, done that. I was anorexic (not overweight prior to that either), then I tried to get healthy on my own, which led me down the binge eating disorder path. So yeah, it's probably best to have more sessions to keep you on track and balanced. :)
  • emelia_
    Options
    You could just be emotionally eating, or have fallen under the spell of peanut butter (so good!). Either way I would use MFP as a tool to maintain your weight now that you've recovered. Everyone slips up, but one bad week is not anything to worry about. Just wake up tomorrow and try to eat more moderately :)
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    From my experience, it takes a long time to figure out a healthy relationship with food. Most anorexics begin restricting emotionally; some experience the opposite and binge due to emotions after they go through recovery. Any time you overdo it on something, make a note of how you're feeling and if anything triggering happened. Physically, it takes a long time to know when you're hungry and when you're not. It's hard to tell what "enough" is. Track your calories diligently for however long it takes for you to gain a sense of those things, and stay in contact with your psych and your nutritionist throughout.
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    Options
    Let your doctor know right away.
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    Are you seeing a therapist? If so, I would talk to them or your doctor. Binge eating is also disordered eating.

This
  • rw4004
    rw4004 Posts: 157
    Options
    I agree with ask your therapist and nutritionist.Also how much water are you drinking?The body can confuse thirst with hunger.What kind of foods are you eating?If you are eating too low fat obviously your body will start to crave it.Your body does need some healthy fats like coconut oil,olive oil,hemp seed oil,avocado,almonds,etc.I really agree with crystal flame pay attention to what triggers certain food cravings and behaviors and be patient with yourself.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    My advice would be to seek professional assistance.
  • melissagwiedmann
    Options
    I am a psychologist and work with patients with eating disorders. Often in recovery people become hypermetabolic, which means you would need 4000-5000 calories to maintain. your wait. It sounds inconceivable but I have seen it so many times. Just remember, the scale can be your friend. Listen to your hunger cues. Eat the peanut butter. You can reassure yourself that your hunger cues are reasonable by monitoring your weight:)
  • melissagwiedmann
    Options
    oops spell check, meant, weight not your wait:)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Many recovered anorexics become leptin resistant meaning that the receptors are unable to receive messages from the hormone properly after serum leptin levels have remained too low due to chronic calorie restriction. Thus, even if serum leptin values return to within "normal" levels, your hunger cues may remain unreliable. It's best to track your weight and eat according to known TDEE needs. For instance, if you need 2200 calories to achieve relative weight homeostasis relative to activity level, then stay within those numbers.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Agreed. If you're still seeing your therapist, please have a talk with her or him.

I've been there, done that. I was anorexic (not overweight prior to that either), then I tried to get healthy on my own, which led me down the binge eating disorder path. So yeah, it's probably best to have more sessions to keep you on track and balanced. :)

Same story. It is quite common for those of us who have struggled with anorexia to slip into other forms of disordered eating, especially if the underlying causes were never dealt with. You just changed the tool you are using, basically. It is also a response to having starved yourself to a low weight. I think it does mess up the body's hormone balance and natural appetite in a big way. Suggest you get further help as it will be just as unhealthy if you swing over to binge eating or bulimia.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I am a psychologist and work with patients with eating disorders. Often in recovery people become hypermetabolic, which means you would need 4000-5000 calories to maintain. your wait. It sounds inconceivable but I have seen it so many times. Just remember, the scale can be your friend. Listen to your hunger cues. Eat the peanut butter. You can reassure yourself that your hunger cues are reasonable by monitoring your weight:)

Is it sensible for someone who had anorexia to continue checking their weight ? That could simply lead to further obsession and attempts to control.
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    How many calories were you eating to gain, and did you just recently cut back?

Maybe your current craving is a way of your body telling you that it's not happy at your current way. Is this current weight what you were prior to anorexia, remember anything up until a 24.9 BMI is considered healthy.

So take it in strides. Ditch the scale, weigh once a month, eat intuitively and don't restrict. It might not be what you want to hear but try eating a bit more during the day, everyday at least your TDEE to avoid incidences of binges/cravings. And your cravings will hopefully subside
  • anygal
    anygal Posts: 12
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! Wow, how awesome to read all the help. Thank you fellow EDers out there in sharing what you went through, too...Helping me stay strong!! :)

My therapist said to take things one day at a time and talk with my nutritionist.
    My nutritionist said to focus on who I am and try to eat in a bit more moderation, but also keep in mind that my metabolism is often higher than I think it is and that I could probably still put on a few more pounds.

I'm going to take the advice from y'all and start tracking my emotions, hunger cues, and fluid intake along with my food--I already track whether or not I'm with other people, and I've found I eat much more when I'm alone (red flag right there). It'll be good to see if it's related to emotions/thirst or true, hyper metabolic hunger. I'll keep an eye on the cals, keeping in mind that I may or may not have true hunger cues back, but at the same time I'm not going to be rigid in setting a limit.

In any case, it's especially good to hear that peanut butter really IS captivating, that getting used to eating again is NORMAL!! (halleluia. You have no idea how much I needed to know that!!!) and that one day doesn't change the rest of my fate. :) Thank you SO MUCH! :)
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I prefer Nutella over peanut butter as far as spoon-to-container attacks go. :laugh:

I think your body is still rebounding from starvation mode, but I agree that you need to learn to eat with your brain, instead of with your emotions or even your grumbly tumbly. Former bulimic/anorexic here, so ... I feel ya. You need to find out what "normal" means. That's the challenge, I think. General guidelines and tracking things and learning about nutrition, and focusing on nourishing your body should help get you there. Sounds like you're on the right track and like you have a decent support system, so just stay the course. :flowerforyou:
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I agree with the person that said you were just under the spell of peanut butter. I've never been a binger and I can easily eat a whole jar of peanut butter in one sitting. I cannot keep a jar in my house lol, I have to buy the stuff that is already separated in serving size, that's the only way I can control myself. Peanut butter is deftinitely my favorite thing ever!!!!!
  • michaelalouise3915
    michaelalouise3915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Is it sensible for someone who had anorexia to continue checking their weight ? That could simply lead to further obsession and attempts to control.

Not its most Definatley not, I'm a psychiatric nurse and whenever I have worked with people with eds one of the main things is to remove scales.
  • michaelalouise3915
    michaelalouise3915 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! Wow, how awesome to read all the help. Thank you fellow EDers out there in sharing what you went through, too...Helping me stay strong!! :)

My therapist said to take things one day at a time and talk with my nutritionist.
    My nutritionist said to focus on who I am and try to eat in a bit more moderation, but also keep in mind that my metabolism is often higher than I think it is and that I could probably still put on a few more pounds.

I'm going to take the advice from y'all and start tracking my emotions, hunger cues, and fluid intake along with my food--I already track whether or not I'm with other people, and I've found I eat much more when I'm alone (red flag right there). It'll be good to see if it's related to emotions/thirst or true, hyper metabolic hunger. I'll keep an eye on the cals, keeping in mind that I may or may not have true hunger cues back, but at the same time I'm not going to be rigid in setting a limit.

In any case, it's especially good to hear that peanut butter really IS captivating, that getting used to eating again is NORMAL!! (halleluia. You have no idea how much I needed to know that!!!) and that one day doesn't change the rest of my fate. :) Thank you SO MUCH! :)

I understand and emphasise completely.

If you want to add or chat anytime feel free. I was bulimic for most of my teenage life and finally over come and I'm a psych nurse. It's tough I know, but its so great that you have this awareness and want to be healthy too :)
  • melissagwiedmann
    Options
    I know that it is standard treatment to remove scales. However, when people are in early recovery their anxiety about gaining weigh too quickly causes them to continue to restrict. By utilizing the scale while in therapy they are able to see that they are not going to gain rapidly and can attempt to eat more reasonably. I agree with you that long term you don't want people fixated on the numbers:)