How do you stay motivated?

Options
pmd14
pmd14 Posts: 232 Member
I am really having a few bad days lately. The food just looks so good. I try to eat less and make better choices but.........
I've been excersing but I know soon (from past experience) that this will dwindle too.

I'm trying to stay motivated but it is so hard. I think about what I would look like thinner, how I would feel, how proud I would be of myself, all the positive health issues. I try to take it one day at a time.
I want to focus so hard on this not being a diet but a lifestyle change but its hard to stay focused.
I need some motivation and inspiration.

Thanks

Replies

• pmd14
    Options
    I am really having a few bad days lately. The food just looks so good. I try to eat less and make better choices but.........
    I've been excersing but I know soon (from past experience) that this will dwindle too.

I'm trying to stay motivated but it is so hard. I think about what I would look like thinner, how I would feel, how proud I would be of myself, all the positive health issues. I try to take it one day at a time.
    I want to focus so hard on this not being a diet but a lifestyle change but its hard to stay focused.
    I need some motivation and inspiration.

Thanks
  • cediyam
    cediyam Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Buy an outfit about 2 sizes smaller and put it somewhere so you will see it everyday. Also, give yourself a task for instance I had a goal of running up the stairs of my apartment without losing my breath. Took me a while but when i finally did, it felt good!
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    I went through this last week and the only thing that got me out of the funk was to just do it and eat right and exercise no matter how bad I wanted whatever it is that is bad for me. I finally got myself back on track and I have a whole new load of motivation. It's not easy, it's okay to have a few bad days, but get RIGHT back on and don't ask any questions and eventually the motivation will come back, especially when you start to see a loss. :heart:
  • dejones
    dejones Posts: 41
    Options
    It helps to have good support. My husband & children cheer me on everyday. Find some exercises that you like to do and have fun. Most important don't beat yourself up if you eat the wrong thing, just start eating right the nest day.

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]55217.png[/url]
  • stschulz
    stschulz Posts: 340
    Options
    I am your age and a nursing student ( in clinicals now) AND I work full time. As you probably can remember that can be at least as stressful as the job itself if not more. I mention that because sometimes I get motivation from thinking about patients that are really sick and can not do what I should do (i.e. go to the gym et cetera) even if they wanted to. I just think about how blessed I am to be able to do all that and that sometimes helps.
    I have people in the bicycle forum that were really sick and now ride easily 100 miles or more as if it was nothing. That helps sometimes.
    I follow one guy in our forum who right at this moment races across America in RAAM. That can be motivating for me.

You are in the right place here. As a nurse you probably know how important it is to loose weight healthy and keep it of. This here is the only way you can achieve that. And as you already said yourself, it is a lifestyle change. So don't expect things to change over night just because of that one good decision you made.

Set small goals.
    Don't beat yourself up if you can not reach a goal, that will happen every once in a while.
    Read what others are going through here. You will find that mant people have similar "problems" as you have.
    Seek support from friends and family.
    Reward yourself when you accomplish a goal.
    Do things for exercise that you like. Try different things. Sometimes you find an activity that you did not expect to like that way.
    Looks as if you already lost 20% of your goal without even visiting this site. So it can get only better.
    find very . Think about that.
    often that I am tired, muscles hurt and I really do not want to get out there and exercise. But once I DO drab my behind out and start, it gets better pretty fast (most of the time).
    I set goals for my exercise. I believe that without goals it is very difficult to stay motivated and on track.

More?:wink:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I went through this last week and the only thing that got me out of the funk was to just do it and eat right and exercise no matter how bad I wanted whatever it is that is bad for me. I finally got myself back on track and I have a whole new load of motivation. It's not easy, it's okay to have a few bad days, but get RIGHT back on and don't ask any questions and eventually the motivation will come back, especially when you start to see a loss. :heart:

That's exactly what I did.
    I had a really bad 2 weeks (to the point I was getting heartburn really bad from eating too much). I decided 1/2 way through day on the14th that it was enough. At exactly 1:15pm in the afternoon, I decide to get back on track, enough was enough. I told myself that nobody else can do this for me, therefore I need to shape up. I've been back full throttle for a week now and I've lost what I gained plus an additional 2 lbs.
    You can do this and we are here to support you.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • pmd14
    Options
    You see yesterday I had good fiber cereal with a banana for breakfast, did a 6 mile walk, for lunch I was planning on a nice salad (no tomatoes :laugh: ) with turkey but instead I went for a New York (note ridiculously large) bagel and melted swiss cheese sandwich (boy was it tasty) Not good calorie wise. This morning my plan was yougurt and fruit (tasty) but what I really want is a bacon cheese omelette!!!!! and that left over pasta in the fridge is staring me down.

I look at the scale and my body and yes it is going down but not as fast as I feel I am suffering!!!

I came on the computer to try and get myself motivated to the yogurt but???????
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Don’t give up :wink:

I think this says it all.

“TamTastic wrote this after losing 90lbs:
    I am kind of in shock....I mean....WOAH!! That's a lot of darn weight!!! This was done in 9 months and I didn't starve myself either. I didn't suffer. I didn't miss out. I enjoyed life with my friends and family... I ate a good Thanksgiving meal, I had a hearty Christmas Day meal, I even ate some junk on Super Bowl Sunday!! AND I had a margarita and a few chips and guacamole this past Friday night. And I have gone to a few bbq's and ate a burger and even a brownie!! LOL! GASP!!

I guess my point is that you don't have to munch on lettuce the rest of your life to have success with weight loss. Just incorporate it into your day, plan for it...exercise, and don't go CRAZY, and you will be ok!! Life get's in the way of our "healthy lifestyle" sometimes....but even junk and fun food CAN be a part of a healthy lifestyle if it's in moderation and you are accountable for it.”

24167.png
  • fynendandi1
    fynendandi1 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thank you sbacon!!!! That is what is keeping me motivated this time, the fact that I am seeing results and I am not missing a darn thing. I have just modified my lifestyle and the results are there. I want this so bad for me and this is the first time in my life that I have tried to loose weight for me, it was always to look good for someone else. Sure you are going to have some hard times but just focus on the final result, how fantastic you are going to feel. Not even a piece of cheesecake is going to be that good:happy:
  • sbacon1203
    sbacon1203 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    TamTastic deserves the credit for her story! I really agree with her :drinker:
  • Wizzle
    Wizzle Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I totally feel the same way right now. I have already lost 20 lbs, but for some reason when I go out to eat at resturants I can not control what I order. I know I should get a salad, but I really do. Last night I got a veggie calzone @ a local pizza parlor in my town. I feel aweful for eating it because I know how many calories are in it. Plus, I have not exercised in the past two weeks. I am totally worried that I am not going to reach my goal or even worse..... that I am going to gain the weight back that I have already lost. :frown: :frown: :frown:

65072.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • fitladyfawkes
    fitladyfawkes Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Buy an outfit about 2 sizes smaller and put it somewhere so you will see it everyday. Also, give yourself a task for instance I had a goal of running up the stairs of my apartment without losing my breath. Took me a while but when i finally did, it felt good!

Yeah! This is what i do! I bought a pair of pants that were two sizes too small and i pinned them up on my wall....three months later they fit!!! I did it again after those pants fit, and the same thing happened. I now have an even smaller pair of pants hanging on the wall, i see them everyday, and usually it motivates the heck out of me. Dont give up, you can do it!
  • pmd14
    Options
    Well I didn't eat the eggs!!!!!! And I walked!!!!!!!

Today is a new day and a new outlook. I hope

I have to keep remember that this is a whole lifestlye change and I have had a WHOLE lifetime of poor eating and no exercise so even little "good" things I do is better than nothing.