Squats and sore quads/thighs

Options
Hi all,

I've started doing squats with one of those machines that hold the barbell straight. I'm squatting ten kilos. Usually for a couple of days after the tops of my thighs hurt. I thought squats were supposed to work your bum? What am I doing wrong?

I stand a little forward of the bar and squat down as far as my inflexible hips will let me. I usually do 3 sets at around 15-12-10 reps and can't do any more than that.

The PT that showed me how said it would be great for toning the bum and hamstrings but I don't feel the burn there at all! Help! I want to tighten the rear end!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you are using a smith machine. You need to learn to do them in the squat rack with just a barbell. You're still going to work your quads though. Other exercises for glutes are lunges, goblet squats (a bit easier for starters) and deadlifts.
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    It will have something to do with the fact you are using the smith machine.

I would use a squat rack. Smith machone just stuffs up your technique which could end up in injury.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    The problem is that you are using a smith machine. You need to learn to do them in the squat rack with just a barbell. You're still going to work your quads though. Other exercises for glutes are lunges, goblet squats (a bit easier for starters) and deadlifts.

^^^^

This, Free Weights with barbells will require you to keep balance and will use more muscle groups. Great advice by usmcmp!
  • CreativeFedora
    Options
    The good ol smith machine. That's a great way to start off doing squats, but eventually you'll want to move onto the free barbell once you feel comfortable enough not relying on the smith machine for balance and support.

Squats do indeed work out the bum, but the soreness will always be on the quads since they're the main muscles doing the work. I wouldn't fret over not feeling burn. With each squat work out keep challenging yourself on how far you can go down with proper form and in time you'll be able to tell the difference in the mirror.