I am old and fat

Options
Hey guys I go by Sparky on the website. Need to get rid of at least 60 lbs

Replies

• fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hi Sparky. I'm Fresh. And I'm older and fatter than you. ;-)

I'm 53 with 60-90 pounds left to lose. I've not yet set a solid target goal. I figure I'll know it when I get close.

The weight loss has been slow going. I joined MFP mid December, but have been trying to get healthy since the last week of September. It has taken me almost 5 months to lose 17 pounds. If this was the Biggest Loser show, I'd have been voted off a long time ago.

On the other hand, my goal isn't to get skinny, but to get healthy. I'm on my way to doing that without being hungry, feeling deprived, or killing myself in a gym 6-8 hours a day. Instead, walking, eating a little something every 3-4 hours, counting calories, working to balance my macros, and making better choices while allowing myself small indulgences so long as they fit into my daily calorie count.

Good luck to us as we enter our new life.
  • Nhizarms
    Nhizarms Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi Sparky
    When I started my weight loss journey I had 90 pound to lose. wowza I thought "thats a lot of weight I can never lose that much" so I decided to take it a few pounds at a time... 10,- or 15 looked a lot better than 90. make little goals so that you dont get overwhelmed... fell free to add me we can encourage each other....Im not as young as I used to be either and Im still not at the weight I want to be.... but over time I am slowly changing my weight.... now my age, there is nothing I can do about that lol
    Good luck we can do this ! we are all in this game together !! :smile:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

I'm 53 with 60-90 pounds left to lose. I've not yet set a solid target goal. I figure I'll know it when I get close.

The weight loss has been slow going. I joined MFP mid December, but have been trying to get healthy since the last week of September. It has taken me almost 5 months to lose 17 pounds. If this was the Biggest Loser show, I'd have been voted off a long time ago.

On the other hand, my goal isn't to get skinny, but to get healthy. I'm on my way to doing that without being hungry, feeling deprived, or killing myself in a gym 6-8 hours a day. Instead, walking, eating a little something every 3-4 hours, counting calories, working to balance my macros, and making better choices while allowing myself small indulgences so long as they fit into my daily calorie count.

Love! ^^^ One of the best posts I've ever seen on here. That is my plan too. Slow or fast doesn't matter, healthy does.
  • embracingchange35
    Options
    I need to lose 60 and I am convinced that I can and will do it, in a healthy way. Consistency is key and being kind to myself is the other thing. I'm looking at my goals in 5 and 10 pound increments...I will get there!!! You can too!
  • cazzer69
    cazzer69 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Mate, I'm 46, had never exercised since leaving school, I smoke (still do) and I weighed 320lb when I started this third quarter last year.
    I now weight 265, I cycle to work without feeling like crap and if you check my diary (I think it's open), I can't say I'm eating healthfood.

Good luck with your journey but I think you'll find it isn't as hard as you thought if yer definite and determined.
  • larosita57
    larosita57 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Oh hell, 42 is "old" - guess I'm old now, bummer. Great news though - I'm older than you and have lost weight through MFP. It really helped me stay accountable for my eating and exercise. I hope it can help you too!
  • Podgethepuffer
    Podgethepuffer Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Ah ha. My screen save declares me to be Old, Sad, Fat & Ugly (no one contests the statement :grumble: ).

Well at 59, guess I am old

Sad, only cos I'm fat.

Fat, well that's something I gonna do something about.

Ugly, well, Mrs Me doesn't think so: so maybe I'll let that one go.

The healthy target is a good one. Well done.

We'll all get there, though we'll all be older. :cry:
  • nwlve1962
    nwlve1962 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi Sparky, Old and Fat? Ha! I'm 50, started at 298 pounds, I'm still not to the goal than my dietician set but after 1 1/2 years I am down 120 pounds. I've been backsliding lately and gained 10 pounds over the Holidays. One thing that I wish everyone would do is to get rid of the word diet. It contains die as the primary ingredient in the word. And forget about losing weight. your brain is programmed to find what you've lost whether it's your keys or a pound. Simply using the words get rid of has really helped me. You're clearing out the closet getting rid of pounds you don't want any more. I was given this advice about a year ago and it really does make a difference. Good luck and way to go on getting healthy!!:happy:
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options

Hello Sparky, and Fresh.... I am Rocky and I am older and fatter than both of you. My goal is not really to lose weight. I will be healthier. Losing fat will come with that. Check out my profile and if you like send me a friend request.
  • kobiemom
    kobiemom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm 55 and have/had 63 lbs. to lose. I've lost 40 over 2ish years. You can do this. Keep coming back. Friend me if you want.
  • lkaoki
    lkaoki Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I too am old and fat!!

I'll be 42 in June and weigh over 200 pounds.
  • Careygirl1968
    Careygirl1968 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Love! ^^^ One of the best posts I've ever seen on here. That is my plan too. Slow or fast doesn't matter, healthy does.

I agree - one of the best posts ever - you've got this figured out, and are going to do just fine!
  • mjsasha
    mjsasha Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    age is just a number baby!! Not going to take it without a fight!!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    42 is old?
  • NotBonJovi
    NotBonJovi Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    42 is old?
    ^^^
    Lol. This

Break down your goals into small steps. I have also just started and my goal for Feb is to lose 5 lbs. I'll worry about the rest later.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Hi Sparky and everyone. I am Amy, and I just turned 58, so I am older than most of you. My goal was to lose 40lbs and I have already lost 8. I am trying to do 5lbs a month and exercise. I am looking forward to nicer weather so I can get outside and walk and see if I can ride my bike. I am recovering from a shoulder injury and not sure I can ride. I couldn't in the fall, but have had some PT since then. I am usually one of the oldest on these forums. I always feel old.

Oh and Sparky I lived in Westminster for 30 years, my husband worked for Coors. We moved away 3 years ago.
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Anyone feel free to friend me. I'm 55 and have long way to go, at least 70 more pounds.
  • flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Great thread. There are a number of kindred spirits among those who have posted so far. I will send Friend Requests to most if not all of you. It is so true that this is about so much more than a number on a scale. It is about health and fitness via a more healthy lifestyle. To introduce myself, I am 58, started my lifestyle change and MFP about seven months ago and have had success. I lost a lot of inches and 85 pounds from when I started MFP. I don't consider 42 to be old and I don't actually consider myself to be old as long as I'm still working fulltime. I'm confident that I have made the lifestyle changes that will keep me fit and healthy in the future.