Flaxseed is the bomb!!

Options
I just have to share..I put oragnic flaxseed in my cereal, and smoothies/protein shakes. Especially in the am it helps keep me fuller most of the day and it REALLY shut those cravings/temptation up! At first I was like ewww that look like it taste nasty..but after I researched and thought hell why not try it still being skeptical of the taste. So I bought a 16oz. bag at my local grocery store for like 5 bucks. I watched and heard of the mixtures and ideas to try with this stuff. After first trying it in my morning cereal I told myself just think of it as brown sugar. LOL After downing my cereal, seriously you really don't taste it, it doesn't have a taste to it so I also put it in my shakes n smoothies but careful with the calories. For most people like me who don't get enough fiber, it keeps you regular and it has omega-3 in it that's excellent for the heart and antioxidants as well. Not bad to start a morning.

Replies

• tammy4720
    tammy4720 Posts: 11
    Options
    I just started making some smoothies with flaxseed in them too. In addition to all of the benefits you mentioned, I've heard that flaxseed can also lower your cholesterol. I'm not very good about getting my antioxidants through eating vegies, so that's another reason I thought I'd better throw some flaxseed in my diet. Good luck to you Trish!
  • AkAmber
    AkAmber Posts: 40
    Options
    Oooh, I'm glad you posted this. I've heard it used in "healthy" circles but I've always been scared to try it. Now I'll see if I can find some!
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    BeautifulScarsWECHANGED Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    You can use ground flaxseed in pretty much anything. I've used it in oatmeal, on yogurt, in pancake mix, in smoothies...the possibilites are endless. However, make sure the flaxseed is ground or it doesn't do anything for you. Your body can't digest it (like corn) and it comes out the same way it went in....without any real benefit.

Flaxseed oil is great too....add it to smoothies though because the taste can be off-putting.
  • Shy1979
    Shy1979 Posts: 75
    Options
    I love it too. I put it in my breakfast smoothie every morning. And I try to sneak it in the food I prepare for my kids (and hubby). Like Meatloaf, or muffins, sprinkle it over their cereal, or mix it in with the bread crumbs that I use to make homemade chicken nuggets. They don't even taste it!
  • FabulousFifty
    FabulousFifty Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Taking flaxseed oil caplets morning and night...helps with hotflashes!!!:embarassed: :wink:
  • mathnan
    mathnan Posts: 5
    Options
    My mom gave me flaxseed and I didn't know why really. I am excited that you posted this. I will try it.
  • WussKat
    WussKat Posts: 63
    Options
    Flaxseed is also great for gall stone problems - made into a 'tea' it really soothes any pain. Tastes pretty disgusting though and has the consistency of warm raw egg white...still...no pain, no gain!
  • DarcieC2389
    DarcieC2389 Posts: 146
    Options
    I have never tried flax seed in cereal, but I do use it in smoothies and can't really notice the taste that much.