Starting to eat meat again.

Options
So, I've been vegetarian for six years and I recently decided
to start incorporating meat and fish into my diet again.

I plan on sticking mostly to chicken and fish/shrimp.

I'd love to hear any recipes or ideas on quick meals. (:

Replies

• THExNEKOxCHAN
    THExNEKOxCHAN Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Use free range chicken. Use wild caught fish.

Um, I have tons of recipes I like using, but the simplest involves roasting or pan frying.

Pan Frying:
    Use butter or coconut oil, or rendered animal fat. Don't have the heat too high, maybe on medium or so. You want to brown the chicken, not burn it. Sprinkle dried herbs, sea salt and cracked pepper over the chicken pieces (leave the skin on), and lay in the pan, which has been heating for a few minutes. Brown on both sides, then pop a lid on and turn down to low. Let cook until done.

Roasting:
    Lightly grease a pyrex dish. Lay down a bed of chopped veg. I usually use onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, and swedes. Season the chicken, and lay on top of the veg. Place in 350 degree oven and bake for about an hour or so, depending on the size of the pieces (or the whole bird, if you are using an intact carcass). Make sure the meat is about 160 degrees in the thickest part of the breast and thigh. Let rest for ten minutes or so, then serve with the veggies.

You can use this for fish too, especially big salmon steaks. Shrimp I like to grill on a bbq or cast iron grilling pan, or saute in butter with garlic.
  • CloverCreeper
    CloverCreeper Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Use free range chicken. Use wild caught fish.

Um, I have tons of recipes I like using, but the simplest involves roasting or pan frying.

Pan Frying:
    Use butter or coconut oil, or rendered animal fat. Don't have the heat too high, maybe on medium or so. You want to brown the chicken, not burn it. Sprinkle dried herbs, sea salt and cracked pepper over the chicken pieces (leave the skin on), and lay in the pan, which has been heating for a few minutes. Brown on both sides, then pop a lid on and turn down to low. Let cook until done.

Roasting:
    Lightly grease a pyrex dish. Lay down a bed of chopped veg. I usually use onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, and swedes. Season the chicken, and lay on top of the veg. Place in 350 degree oven and bake for about an hour or so, depending on the size of the pieces (or the whole bird, if you are using an intact carcass). Make sure the meat is about 160 degrees in the thickest part of the breast and thigh. Let rest for ten minutes or so, then serve with the veggies.

You can use this for fish too, especially big salmon steaks. Shrimp I like to grill on a bbq or cast iron grilling pan, or saute in butter with garlic.

Thank you for the tips! (:
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    take it slow.

When I went back to eating meat I got really sick. I was eventually able to eat 'normal' but start slow.
  • stephgas
    stephgas Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    i'd start incorporating bits of white fish and chicken into your diet slowly and not too often. can i ask why you're bringing meat back into your diet? i'm on the opposite end - just starting to cut all meat out of my diet, so i'm just curious ;)
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    i'd start incorporating bits of white fish and chicken into your diet slowly and not too often. can i ask why you're bringing meat back into your diet? i'm on the opposite end - just starting to cut all meat out of my diet, so i'm just curious ;)

Honestly, my boyfriend eats meat and I think it would be easier if we were able to cook together.
    Also, right now I eat a lot of eggs and greek yogurt for protein and not much else. Just looking for some variety. (:
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I really like chicken casseroles super easy.
    pasta or rice, a can of mushroom soup, any veggies you want to use up, little bit of cheese, and a chicken breast or some fish. I've never made one that tasted bad :)
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a while, more because I was too poor to afford meat than for health purposes. It wasn't very thrilling fare. When I got a better paying job, I started buying meat again, and I realized that I was feeling fuller longer, and generally more satisfied, whereas with the vegetarian diet I always felt like i was missing something.

I now know meat has certain nutrients that your body can extract and process much more easily than it can from vegetables, especially vitamin a (retinol). It's also because a lot of vegetarian/vegan oriented foods have ingredients lists... which is another thing I try to avoid.

So, I choose the best quality meat I can get, from local suppliers, and enjoy it very much for the energy and satisfaction it provides.
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    I was vegetarian for a while, more because I was too poor to afford meat than for health purposes. It wasn't very thrilling fare. When I got a better paying job, I started buying meat again, and I realized that I was feeling fuller longer, and generally more satisfied, whereas with the vegetarian diet I always felt like i was missing something.

I now know meat has certain nutrients that your body can extract and process much more easily than it can from vegetables, especially vitamin a (retinol). It's also because a lot of vegetarian/vegan oriented foods have ingredients lists... which is another thing I try to avoid.

So, I choose the best quality meat I can get, from local suppliers, and enjoy it very much for the energy and satisfaction it provides.

I'm hoping that it will be the same for me. I'm usually hungry an hour after eating breakfast which is usually eggs.
    Haha.
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    I really like chicken casseroles super easy.
    pasta or rice, a can of mushroom soup, any veggies you want to use up, little bit of cheese, and a chicken breast or some fish. I've never made one that tasted bad :)

Sounds yummy. (:
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    Options
    How many eggs are you eating? I usually eat 2-4 depending on what i plan to do for the morning (2 if I'm reading, 4 if I'm working out in the garden). i also have a glass of raw milk, some cheese, and maybe a piece of bacon or a sausage, and I'm good to go right up until lunch.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options

Honestly, my boyfriend eats meat and I think it would be easier if we were able to cook together.
    Also, right now I eat a lot of eggs and greek yogurt for protein and not much else. Just looking for some variety. (:

Me and my bf cook together all the time and I'm vegan, he's not. He just uses how own non vegan food. Its never been an issue. Is there another reason?
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    How many eggs are you eating? I usually eat 2-4 depending on what i plan to do for the morning (2 if I'm reading, 4 if I'm working out in the garden). i also have a glass of raw milk, some cheese, and maybe a piece of bacon or a sausage, and I'm good to go right up until lunch.

I usually use egg substitute or 2 eggs, 1 oz of cheese, and a piece of toast.
    I eat at around 11-12ish after I wake up, have a snack at 5:30ish during my break at work, and eat lunch/dinner
    at 7:30. I work until midnight.
  • THExNEKOxCHAN
    Options
    You may want to up your calories then, if you're getting hungry after breakfast. What sort of energy output are you experiencing at work? If you're active, perhaps having another egg, or some more cheese will help, or you can have some coconut butter for the extra energy, or bring some snacks along to hold yourself over until the next meal.
  • CloverCreeper
    Options
    You may want to up your calories then, if you're getting hungry after breakfast. What sort of energy output are you experiencing at work? If you're active, perhaps having another egg, or some more cheese will help, or you can have some coconut butter for the extra energy, or bring some snacks along to hold yourself over until the next meal.

It's a desk job. I have my goal set at my BMR and try to NET that or eat a bit over it.
  • CloverCreeper
    Options

Me and my bf cook together all the time and I'm vegan, he's not. He just uses how own non vegan food. Its never been an issue. Is there another reason?

It tends to be an issue with us because our food bill is pretty high since we eat completely different things.
    That is my reason, and also I'm looking for more variety.