Treadmill or Ab Circle Pro???

Options
marioz49
marioz49 Posts: 51 Member
I need to get something to use for exercise when it is raining and I can't go for my walk outside. Has anyone used either a treadmill or Ab circle pro? Which would be better to help loose weight?

Replies

• lonypony
    lonypony Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill. Not sure where you are in the world but notice you are in kilos. My treadmill calculates calories and kilometres (well I hope its kilometres, could be miles) done as well as time. Not sure if you can do that on the ab circle pro. I queried the ab pro when I first was interested in the exercise thing too, lot of negative feedback. Also have just started Couch to 5k program which is a good workout on the treadmill.

But having said all that, I have never tried the ab circle pro.
  • JustGizzy
    JustGizzy Posts: 38
    Options
    Never used the Ab Circle Pro but I have a treadmill and love it cause it counts your cals and lets you know how fast your going and the whole nine yards...So I am gonna say a treadmill only because I am a true beleiver in walking being the best exercise you can get..
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine!! If not, then definitely the treadmill.
  • marioz49
    Options
    I did have a manual treadmill once and used it in the summer, but in the winter in the garage it was too cold and I stopped using it. I think if I got another one it would have to sit in the lounge so that I would use it. By the way, I'm in NZ.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    The Ab Circle Pro is a gimmick, and IMO it will be gathering dust in your garage if you buy it. I did try one in a store and I didn't think it was particularly effective, or easy to use., and I have seen posts about the fact that it is not particularly wellmade. A treadmill will give you cardio, which will burn fat. There are many exercises available to work your abs.

I actually have a Gazelle for cardio because it is easier on the knees, but I have used treadmills in the past.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    My treadmilll is my best friend! It's there for me whether I want a good hard walk or jog of if I just want a nice stroll. I love that whether it's too hot, too cold,. too rainy or too gloomy to go outside to exercise... my treadmill always sits in a comfortably air conditioned/heated space where it's available to me night or day. Right now my exercise pretty much consists solely of walking on the treadmill or mowing my yard. I prefer mowing the yard... but can only do that every 4 days! LOL

The ab circle pro just looks... awkward to use... I'm not so coordinated and I don't like feeling uncomfortable... I've been walking for years so I prefer the treadmill!
  • marioz49
    Options
    [quote

I actually have a Gazelle for cardio because it is easier on the knees, but I have used treadmills in the past.
    [/quote]

Just wondering what a 'Gazelle' is. I have never heard of it.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options

Just wondering what a 'Gazelle' is. I have never heard of it.

It is a machine that has been around for about 10 years. There are many versions of it. The bottom end one is very lightweight, won't accomodate a very high weight and has no measuring electronics. It runs, about $99 The one I have is similar to the one described in the website I am giving below. As I recall, I got mine from Sears, and they price matched the Walmart website, so I was able to use my Sears card. I think I paid about $200 for mine. I believe it might be the model up from the one pictured on the webpage:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gazelle-Freestyle-With-Thumbpulse/1542671#ProductDetail

I chose a Gazelle because I didn't want to spend the money necessary to get a quality treadmill, and I liked the idea that it could be folded up, if I needed to get it out of the way. I have been very happy with mine. It is easy on the knees, and really will let you work up a sweat if you choose to. It is quiet enough that if you live in an apartment, you don't have to worry about disturbing your neighbors, and if you want to use it while watching tv, it shouldn't drive everyone else in the family out of the room.

I have a neighbor in her 70's who decided she wanted to eliminate her gym membership to save money, and she decided to get one. She loves it because it gives her a cardio workout but is very easy on the joints.

Here is another website that has information on the different models and suggestions about how to workout effectively with them:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4798437_use-gazelle-exercise-machine.html

For the money, I have been very happy with mine. Another thing I like is that it doesn't have to be plugged in to work, so if I want to put it out on my patio in the summer, I can. It is nice to workout in the fresh air.

Good luck with whatever you decide. If my post stopped you from rushing to buy an over-hyped product like the Ab Circle Pro, then I am glad. No matter what you get, the best piece of equipment you can have is one you will use!!