Protein shakes?

Options
Hey guys! Just wondering what your thoughts are on protein shakes. I am trying to stick to a low carb/low sugar lifestyle. I've seen sugar free protein shakes. If I mixed this with unsweetened almond milk, would that keep someone "full" until lunch if I had it for breakfast? I'm a teacher and there is nothing worse than being hungry all morning in a classroom! I also have no idea what whey and the other vaious protein shakes are all about. Perks? Downfallls? I don't want to spend money on something that won't benefit me! Thanks :drinker:

Replies

• da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    check out monavie rvl. i loved that.
  • Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My diary should be open. I'm pretty hardcore when it comes to being low carb (unless there's little else at a reasonable price point while I'm out dining with friends.) I drink a protein shake for breakfast and have a vitamin, then for lunch I drink a "heavier" (more protein) protein shake. Dinner is almost always meat--turkey tenderloin, beef tenderloin, pork tenderloin, if it's got a tenderloin I've probably eaten it in the past 2 weeks, LOL.

Regarding protein shakes, these are my criteria:

1) Carbs MUST be significantly low--I prefer to focus on protein shakes that have no more than 5-6g carbs (even if they're "good" carbs, I count all carbs.)
    2) Protein MUST be over 15g (what's the point otherwise? It might as well be called "protein water" at that point!)
    3) Calories must be over 100, and typically I shoot for under 200.

I have two protein shakes I use almost every day (EAS AdvantEdge for breakfast, around $1.20/ea at Sams Club... and Premier Nutrition High Protein Shake for lunch, around $1.60/ea at Sams Club), but I also have a Pure Protein 35g protein shake being shipped from vitacost.com so I can try them out.
  • Fooey606
    Options
    I always check out this website before buying any protein products - www.pro-proteinshake.com - My personal favourite is the Labrada Lean Body Hi-Protein shake because of the high protein:carb ratio.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Go to your local supplement store (I prefer locally owned as compared to places like GNC, but thats just me), tell them what your looking for and they can suggest some to you. I have done this 3 times because I have changed proteins for various reasons.

But my best advice would be DONT buy protein from a party. Or walmart :wink:
  • peasantsong
    peasantsong Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I drink 1-2 Bluebonnet whey protein isolate shakes per day. They have 3g carbs, 26g protein, and 116 calories per serving. And, they are delicious! I think they are quite filling, personally.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Isolate - Vanilla Creme. 1 scoop equals:
    130 calories
    30 grams of protein
    1 carb

It's the first one I've found that tastes good mixed with just water (to me anyway). I buy it at Walmart for about $22 for a 2lb tub.

Supposedly, Whey Isolate keeps you full longer. But I seem to get hungry midmorning no matter what I eat, so I can't really comment on that part. I eat every 2-3 of hours – its just what works for me.

There are a few additions I sometimes add to change it up, and it still keep the carbs fairly low:
    frozen blueberries or strawberries
    cocoa
    peanut flour
    sugar free pudding
    cottage cheese or yogurt
    Torani Flavored Sugar Free Syrup
    nuts

But I really do like it plain! I always mix it in the blender because I like it frothy. Sometimes I like to mix it and then put it in the freezer right before I get in the shower. By the time I get out and ready to eat it, its half frozen. Yum!