Exercise bike question

Options
Ive just joined here and am eager to start losing Weight. I'm looking at buying an exercise bike for 'at home' exercise. I am 106kg and the bike limits on several I looked at today is 100kg.

Anyone know how strict a 'guideline' this is? If I get one, will I break it? (How embarrassing would that be!!!) should I wait until I've lost weight before buying one?

Thanks

Replies

• Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that 233 pounds is not all that heavy to be on a stationary bike. If it cant handle that weight, it must be a pretty flimsy machine. An average chair can handle more weight than that.

I have a recumbent exercise bike. It might be worth looking into that style. It has a larger seat and is supported by a wider frame.

ETA - Here is one that takes up to 300 pounds....

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00621988000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kispla=00621988000P&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=33-143329528-2
  • Sweetbelle159
    Sweetbelle159 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Do you like exercise bikes, have you spent much time on them? ( I personally don't like them or x-trainers or anything like that, I get bored on them)

What about starting to walk first, it's free and doesn't have a weight limit.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Make sure you go into the store and actually TRY them out.....I have been using the bike in the gym - and it is quite comfy (but costs thousands of $$)

When I had my knee replacement they had an el cheapo bike in the hospital and it was soooo uncomfortable - the seat was hard, it felt unstable and just did not peddal smoothly.....

So my advice - before you spend money make sure it gives you what you expect - otherwise it will just become an ugly clothes hanger in your house....
  • phillycheeseman
    Options
    I too am not a fan of the bike although an iPad playing videos makes it easier. I have a cool recombinant one and I never use it.

Have you tried swimming? I find swimming to be easier on the body (knees and back for me) and far more fun. It helps I have a first class indoor pool near my house.

The best form of exercise is the one you actually do.
  • ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I have a nice recumbent stationary bicycle and I'd rather walk briskly around the neighborhood for an hour than pedal in front of a TV for 30 minutes. If you have the extra space and money, it is a nice option if the weather is terrible or my feet are aching.
  • nomorepizza2
    nomorepizza2 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The manufacturers are playing it very safe with those weight limits. I've been considerably over my bike's weight limit. (a reebok lifecycle) with no problems.
    A stationary bike at home is great if walking/swimming/gym is too much of a pain. Couple it with a big screen tv and a favourite tv show (something exciting!) and you can do 40 mins a day no probs.
    The new bikes all have heart rate monitors on the handlebars so you can get your pulse where it needs to be and keep it there.
    While you're at it, why not invest in a pair of dumbbells so you can add some resistance training to your routine?
  • tanzz9
    tanzz9 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions.

I have previously liked the bike at the gym, and whilst i know it would be beneficial to just get outdoors and walk, i find it really hard to find the time. With two kids to look after alone, its hard to squeeze in any "me" time. I was thinking atleast once they are in bed i could use the bike at home.

I will give it a bit more thought, and thanks for the "try before you buy" suggestion - thats a great idea and probably one i wouldn't have thought of!
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the feedback and suggestions.

I have previously liked the bike at the gym, and whilst i know it would be beneficial to just get outdoors and walk, i find it really hard to find the time. With two kids to look after alone, its hard to squeeze in any "me" time. I was thinking atleast once they are in bed i could use the bike at home.

I will give it a bit more thought, and thanks for the "try before you buy" suggestion - thats a great idea and probably one i wouldn't have thought of!

Try Leslie Sansone "walk at home". You can use the 5 mile one from youtube. I use it all the time & it's really more than just walking. Cheaper as well. Fill up some small bottles with some wet sand or wet dirt & you have yourself some hand weights to use while doing it to make it a little more intense.
  • tanzz9
    tanzz9 Posts: 37
    Options
    Sounds great - thanks for the suggestion! Will definately look into it.