Coconut oil

Options
I just bought some coconut oil today and I'm curious as to how to use it. Thoughts? What are the benefits of using coconut oil on a regular basis?

Replies

• kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting, because I've been looking for answers to the same question :) Hopefully a lot of people know.
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    My mom is using it as a substitute for normal oil. I would think frying veggies for an asian dish or hawaiian dish would be good though.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can use it to cook with in place of other oils, use it as a moisturizer, eat it straight out of the jar, some people add it to smoothies. Not sure if it has any great benefits but it tastes good and is natural.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Why buy something if you don't know what to do with it? Seems a bit strange to me.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It's good for making fried rice.
    It's delicious to pop corn in a pot with.

Or put it in your hair on your skin.
  • kb_CG_wife
    kb_CG_wife Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Why buy something if you don't know what to do with it? Seems a bit strange to me.

It's obvious one could use it to cook with, but it doesn't hurt to ask about other uses. I saw you could add it to warm salt water to create "beach hair". Not everyone would think of that immediately. No such thing as a bad or strange thing to ask :) More than one person may also be looking for answers.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    http://www.hybridrastamama.com/2012/01/160-uses-for-coconut-oil.html

I use it for cooking and also make my own body butter with coconut oil + shea butter + olive oil + jojoba oil + essential oil scents

I use expeller pressed and mix it 50/50 with ghee (clarified butter) to get a butter flavored spread.
  • beautifulregardless
    Options
    Read this :)

I got a BAD perm, my hair turned gooey, had to have maaaany inches cut off and it's really short now. Buuut I've only been using coconut oil for about three days on my hair and it's already sooooo much healthier. I haven't tried it on my skin but heard it's GREAT. I also heard it's good for losing weight and helps you go to the bathroom A LOT. Some woman said she puts it in her morning coffee and then drinks it in warm water everyday.
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options

It's obvious one could use it to cook with, but it doesn't hurt to ask about other uses. I saw you could add it to warm salt water to create "beach hair". Not everyone would think of that immediately. No such thing as a bad or strange thing to ask :) More than one person may also be looking for answers.

Yeah, I bought it because I've heard good things about it and I like coconut, so....there ya go. Just wanted to get an idea of what my "pals" ought of it. :) Not trying to ruffle feathers.
  • emmymcq
    emmymcq Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Read this :)

I got a BAD perm, my hair turned gooey, had to have maaaany inches cut off and it's really short now. Buuut I've only been using coconut oil for about three days on my hair and it's already sooooo much healthier. I haven't tried it on my skin but heard it's GREAT. I also heard it's good for losing weight and helps you go to the bathroom A LOT. Some woman said she puts it in her morning coffee and then drinks it in warm water everyday.

Wow! I've heard it's really good for hair and skin. I saw on Pinterest this girl that uses coconut oil and baking soda to wash her face.
  • Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I use it to fry in all the time. Even use it for scrambled eggs and it tastes great.
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil is also supposed to help prevent and treat Alzheimer's Disease!

I add it to my smoothie every morning. It tastes awesome. It does have a strong flavour so I find things like frying eggs with it really weird.
  • harmonyh10
    harmonyh10 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of butter on my english muffin and sweet potatoes it is amazing.

Also I use it on my skin and cuticles.

I believe it has a low smoking point, like olive oil so you can't deep fry or get it too hot.
  • Dreamerlove
    Dreamerlove Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    My friend uses it as a moisturizer (mainly face) She gets complimented on her skin al the time, Ive been meaning to buy some to try soon! She uses only organic.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I use it for cooking and add it to my coffee when making Bulletproof coffee.
  • Firestar98
    Firestar98 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    The big thing with coconut oil is that it's 100% fat, no carbs/proteins. For those who are on low-carb diets it can be a useful alternative, but I suggest using it in moderation.

Fun note: Those Kureig K-Cups for Hot Chocolate? The "chocolate" you taste in them is usually coconut oil.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I take 2 tbls raw daily (1 preworkout and 1 after dinner).

I try to cook with it as much as possible, replacing vegetable oil.
    I'll put it in my coffee.
  • Mandylynne1979
    Mandylynne1979 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    The big thing with coconut oil is that it's 100% fat, no carbs/proteins. For those who are on low-carb diets it can be a useful alternative, but I suggest using it in moderation.

Fun note: Those Kureig K-Cups for Hot Chocolate? The "chocolate" you taste in them is usually coconut oil.

Although is is 100% fat, it is a GOOD fat and is 100% better for you than regular vegetable oil...Anything naturally grown is good for you.
  • s0saldivar
    Options
    Coconut oil has medium-chain fatty acids (omega-3s). I use it in baking (substituting butter), face cleanser, moisturizer (skin and hair), pretty much anything. It tastes amazing on its own, but really boosts a smoothie. People are scared of fat, but healthy fats like omega-3s help in brain function, control of cholesterol levels, appetite control, and blood sugar control.

If you've heard horror stories about coconut oil and its high fat content in the past, most of those studies are referring to hydrolyzed versions of coconut oil. Any hydrolyzed oil is unhealthy because it produces trans fats that are not natural to the oil.
  • Cricket09
    Cricket09 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz talks about the benefits of coconut oil. You can cut and paste his You Tube video into your browser or you can just Goggle "Dr. Oz benefits of coconut oil" in You Tube Search and you will find it. Hope this helps! There is no such thing as a stupid question. Good luck with your health and fitness journey! Cricket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jlqI7K9TKE