Calorie Tracking

Options
Hi,

I was just wondering how people properly calculate calories on a daily basis. I find that when I use the database the calories for the same item seem to be different from eachother. For example, I had a cup of yams tonight and when I logged in one came up at like 250 calories and the other one i checked had 158 calories. What one do you put in??

Replies

• becfly
    becfly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If it comes in a package I go by what's on the package that I just ate/prepared. If it is something like fresh veggies or fruit I usually look up the nutritional information in a few places and go with what is more consistent. Some people add the calories from cooking oils and butter and if you didn't use those, you don't want that added! I hope this helps a little.
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, if it has a label, I always check it against what the database says. If it's wrong, I put in my own entry. If it doesn't have a label and I think the database may be wrong, I'll check a couple other sites to see what they say, and come up with what is most consistent.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    A scale might be more accurate. A cup of yams for one person might be mashed, for another cut up into chunks. But 4 ounces by weight is 4 ounces no matter what it fits into.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I double check items like that on nutritiondata.self.com or other places on the net. And I weight.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,984 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was just wondering how people properly calculate calories on a daily basis. I find that when I use the database the calories for the same item seem to be different from eachother. For example, I had a cup of yams tonight and when I logged in one came up at like 250 calories and the other one i checked had 158 calories. What one do you put in??

don't stress over it......just pick one (maybe neither the highest nor the lowest) and be OK with it....the most important thing is that you are logging your food and not trying to get away with anything....in the long run, it will all even out.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: