Emotional Eater!

Options
I am an emotional eater. I eat when I get sad, I eat when I get stressed! Any tips or advice on how I can break this terrible habit!?

Replies

• carbar90
    carbar90 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I try and replace food with water when I'm sad or stressed, or eat a healthy snack instead. Working out always makes me feel better and clears my head so I can start to feel better. Ask friends to go for a walk or do something to entertain yourself so you don't focus on food?
    Dealing with the situation that is stressing you out and/or making you sad helps me too so I don't dwell on it and can carry on with my day.
    Hope this helps a bit.. good luck to you :)
  • AshyyMM
    AshyyMM Posts: 131
    Options
    Im the same way..
    I have found it helps to make sure i have alot of fruit in the house. and even though those aren't the things I want.. I grab it and very quickly leave the kitchen so I can't second guess my decision. best of luck! :)
  • autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    i try not to bring stuff home that I like to have when I'm feeling like that and i try eating healthier stuff like fruits instead.
  • daxazo
    daxazo Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I find something to do, like do the dishes, clean. I like to clean when I'm angry! Angry cleaning is fun. Exercise is a great stress relief.
  • never124get
    Options
    I was and I guess still am...I'm working on breaking it...I find it easy if I keep fruit out in the open and with in easy reach, it's easy to grab and go. Working out always helps me too. Even if it's just running in place, do something for ten mins and wait and see if you are still stressed or wanting the snack. Usually cravings pass within ten mins when you have your mind focused on something else.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    When you fee stressed or sad, tell yourself you can have a snack but ONLY after you walk a mile and have a giant glass of water...the water and exercise will help with sadness/stress and chances are after the walk/water you won't even feel the need for food.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I tell myself over and over that it's ok to feel sad and stressed out and that food will only make me feel good temporarily. And then I feel worse after eating junk!
    I've been dealing with this today. Bad, bad day. I would really have liked to have ordered pizza and made brownies but instead I saved enough calories to get nice and full for dinner and also enough to have a sweet treat within my calories. I'm determined to figure out what works for me as far as weight loss and going off the rails with pizza and brownies won't help. Like I said, the most important thing for me to keep in mind is that it's ok to feel sad sometimes. It won't kill me. It's unpleasant, but it won't kill me.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Try an incompatible activity such as exercise. If you are exercising, you are not likely to be eating and may eliminate a lot of the stress and boredom that promotes the emotional eating.
  • sarahjuneblanke
    sarahjuneblanke Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am too! mostly mine is when i get angry, sometimes when im sad. I know how you feel! it seems like a hopeless cycle.
    i try to forget about it