Attempting to cut down run time

Options
I'm struggling to run my average mile in under ten minutes. It's taking me about 10:15 to do a mile, and 31 minutes for 3 miles. I have to run on the treadmil due to childcare issues and utilizing the gyms childcare. Before my children I was able to run 2 miles in 16:30, and would love to get back to it. Any advice on how to cut my time would be awesome! Thanks

Replies

• RMNPHike
    RMNPHike Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm not very fast but when I want to increase speed, I just up it a little bit at a time, for a minute at a time. Every day add 1 more minute at the higher speed until you can do 20 minutes straight, then increase speed again for a minute, then 2, etc. You can do just about anything if you do it gradually.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Were your previous times on a tread mill or outside? Some people are slower on the treadmill.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    build in hill runs, fartleks, and longer runs
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Were your previous times on a tread mill or outside? Some people are slower on the treadmill.
    this is a good point. i'm slower on a treadmill. i can run a 10 minute mile off the treadmill no problem but it's a struggle to run at that pace on a treadmill. i think the main difference is that my stride is shortened on the treadmill so i'm having to take choppier steps
  • scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you want to build speed you need to work on speed. Back in the day I was a big runner. Mesha gave some good advice but I will expand. When I was racing we would do speed work outs 3 times a week.

So for a 5k race one night we would do a mile warm up, then 5 one mile repeats. That means you run a mile as fast as you can, rest for a couple of minutes then run another one and make sure your time was within 15 seconds of the last one, repeat for 5 miles and then a one mile cool down.

Another night we would do hill work, the key is to push all the way through the top of the hill.

We would alternate other types of runs, a group run in a line where the runner in the last position would sprint to the front, and keep repeating that. The last person sprinting to the front of the line and we would do this over the course of a five mile run.

This is not to say you have to do that mileage but you get the idea on the types of workouts to do to help increase your speed. No one ever got faster running the same pace all of the time. You have to incorporate speed work into your routine.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    build in hill runs, fartleks, and longer runs

Mesha is right. I find it very difficult to just run faster when running by myself. But, running hills and doing fartleks really increases your lung capacity and your leg strength. That can translate to speed.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Speed-work and tempo runs. Just running without any "training" is good, but progess is made when you push your Lactic acid threshold and your mental barriers.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    this is a good point. i'm slower on a treadmill. i can run a 10 minute mile off the treadmill no problem but it's a struggle to run at that pace on a treadmill. i think the main difference is that my stride is shortened on the treadmill so i'm having to take choppier steps

I agree completely. I don't like treadmill running for the same reason.
  • lifelover12
    lifelover12 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Previous run times were outside. I do better outside than on the treadmil.
  • lifelover12
    Options
    Never thought about the shortened stride, but that's probably my same issue. A few years ago when I started running it was on a treadmil, but when I became comfortable and confident in my running I took it outside and loved it! Having small children and being a stay at home mom I use the childcare at my gym and must remain in the gym while my children are in care. Once the months become warmer I'm going to get up super early in the morning to run outside twice a week. Mainly on the weekends, and I can't wait!
  • lifelover12
    Options
    Thank you! Very useful information and I will have to give a few a try.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Never thought about the shortened stride, but that's probably my same issue. A few years ago when I started running it was on a treadmil, but when I became comfortable and confident in my running I took it outside and loved it! Having small children and being a stay at home mom I use the childcare at my gym and must remain in the gym while my children are in care. Once the months become warmer I'm going to get up super early in the morning to run outside twice a week. Mainly on the weekends, and I can't wait!

Keep with it. It gets easier with the kids and you will eventually figure out a way to get the outside runs in even if its only a couple of times per week. It can be easier in the summer when the days are longer. I used to do a lot of runs after bed time. Doesn't work for everyone, I know.

My kids actually ran with me this weekend!! I ran a 15K. My 12 year old finished a 5K at a 7:23 pace and my 9 year old did it at an 8:20 pace. They are so awesome! They ran with me across the the finish line when I finished my 15K.