First 5K Good goal for my finish time?

Options
I signed up for my first 5K for the end of May. I wanted to ask those of you who have done a 5K, what is a good starting goal for my finish time?

:)

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Whatever time you finish in is great, but if you want to set a target, a bit more info is needed.

How long have you been running? What is your pace now? How far can you run?
  • armywifeAH96
    Options
    I have never ran a race before...ever. This is a new goal for me so I am starting from scratch and I don't have much more info, sorry.
  • justagirlgeek
    justagirlgeek Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    You've never run before? And you're registered for a 5K?
    Have you done C25K? Or ANY other training?
    It's tough to know what goal to set if you've never actually run before. Why set a time goal? Why not just have a finishing goal? Your goal is to finish your first 5K.
    That's what mine was. And I succeeded.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    For the first one? Finishing would be the goal I'd set. Wouldn't worry about time at all
  • scott1111111
    scott1111111 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    As already said it is difficult to say without knowing more. This is your first race but have you run 5k before on your own? How long does it take you (If you have not are you building up to it?) Where are you at in your training, if you are running 5k or more already how long is that taking. If you are not up tto that distance yet how far and how fast are you running now?

Unless you want to really get into racing I would not worry to much about time and concentrate on finishing. The nice thing about the 5k distance is that it is short enough so that you can run them often. Many areas have many races of that distance so if you do your first one the next time you can work on getting a better time.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    No worries, I would say try to use a starter program like Couch to 5k, and enjoy your first race! Don't compare yourself to others. If you want to set a goal to motivate yourself, maybe say you're going to run the whole thing, no matter how slowly. Or work up to running the distance a few times before the race, and try to beat your best. Whatever your goal, go slowly at first.

I would add that you should go get fitted for running shoes. At a running store, not a big chain. This is my number one suggestion, and probably the thing I wish I had known when I started running road races. The shoes are more expensive, but It will save you injury in the long run.
  • armywifeAH96
    Options
    Thanks! Probably a good idea to make finishing my goal and not worry about time. I am going to do the C25K program, I have 13 weeks until the race.
  • miniosiris
    Options
    I took part in my first 5K (Tilgate Parkrun) in September last year having done no training whatsoever (I know, pretty stupid). As my fast walk was 4 miles per hour I hoped that I could complete the course in 45 minutes. Having half jogged, half walked I came in at just a few seconds short of 40 minutes for the first 'run'. Unfortunately the old heavy trainers I wore to run in rubbed blisters in both my heels. The best thing I did after this was buy proper fitting running shoes and sock, no more blisters for me since then. Fast forward to yesterday when I managed to continuously run 5K for the first time in 31:25. At the end of the day it's not necessarily all about speed but enjoyment and completing the 5K safely. Have fun both with the training and the race but be warned, it can be very addictive :)
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    For the first one? Finishing would be the goal I'd set. Wouldn't worry about time at all
    Totally agree! Then, once you have your time for your first 5K, your goal becomes beating it next time.
  • amytag
    amytag Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Make your first goal to Just Do It! My first 5k was in October and my goal was to finish it....I ended up walking more than I thought I would and it took me 43 minutes to complete. My personal best now is about 37 minutes. This is slow for most, but I'm freaking proud of it! No matter what, there will be people behind you, and ahead of you.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    If you haven't run before then get started on C25K and just make getting to the finish line your goal!
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    just on the C25K thing... if you do it based on time, you will find that you get lots better at running for 25 minutes. But you still might not get anywhere near 5K!

It takes longer at the start, but try using the pattern (week 1 is 60 secs run, 90 secs walk if I remember) for as close to 5k as you can manage. That way as you progress through, you will actually run 5k
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, just focus on finishing. Then your first 5k will provide you with a baseline - I found it very motivating to sign up for one every couple of months and see how my time improved!
  • kolkol
    kolkol Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    my first 5K ever i finished at 33 minutes, i was told that was pretty good
  • NSP85
    NSP85 Posts: 27
    Options
    A good time for a 5k is between the 30 - 35 minutes. I would suggest for your first run set the goal to 1) complete it and 2) don't stop along the route. If you successfully run the whole thing without stopping, you'll be able to set a time for your next run.

Running any run is an amazing challenge, best of luck.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Regardless of whether or not you decide to have a goal time you always run your first and race your second.

Good for you for signing up for a race!
  • SandraNancy
    SandraNancy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K last year, after training for about 7 weeks prior. As someone who used to HATE running, this was quite a goal to set! I looked at the results from the past few years, and saw where most women were placing. I decided I wanted to be under 30 minutes, and in the top 10 for women.

Come race day, of course it was once of THE hottest days in the summer. The race was held at 5:30PM, but that didn't help much. I sweated and swore my way through to finish at 30:34-- I was a little disappointed, until I checked the results and saw that I came in 9th out of the women. Goal: ACHIEVED!

Point of that little story is that you might want to have a few goals. Maybe you have a time goal and a placing goal. Maybe your goal is not to walk for any of it, but to jog as slowly as you need to if you're tired. Having a few goals instead of just one takes a little of the pressure off, and you're more likely to achieve at least one of them!
  • Mimisam45
    Mimisam45 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You train, you run, you finish - YOU WIN!!!!! Time doesn't matter, especially the first time!!!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

^
  • CortneyHicks20
    Options
    FINISH IT!! Try to run the entire route and then try to beat your time in the next one!!