Help! Not Enough Morning/Day Calories!

Options
2»

Replies

• livelaughlove384
    Options
    I would like to pack lunches. I'm really bad at remembering to do it ahead of time but it is something that I could work on. But whether I buy it at work or on my weekly grocery trip, I'm still buying my lunch.

by buying things in "bulk" you're saving money. so by buying items at the store once a week and making your breakfast and lunch the night before and grabbing it on your way out the door...you'll be giving yourself calories and saving money. i used to work at a grocery store...buying the individual stuff adds up more than if you buy a bag or box of whatever....protein bars, fruits, veggies =)
  • livelaughlove384
    Options
    my breakfast is a protein shake (simply skim milk and a scoop of protein powder) and a small apple. I put my milk and protein powder in a blender bottle and put it in the fridge at night and i can run out the door with it if i'm running behind. I eat my breakfast around 8am and I'm full til lunch which is around 12:30.
  • singer201
    singer201 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Crustless Quiche Lorraine

6 large eggs
    1 1/4 cup heavy cream
    1/4 tsp sugar (optional)
    1/8-1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/3 c. grated onion
    4 oz. grated Swiss cheese
    1/3 cup real bacon crumbles (Hormel)

Whisk the eggs and cream together, add sugar, salt, cayenne pepper. Stir in onion, grated cheese, and bacon. Pour into greased pie plate or quiche pan. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 300F and bake for additional 25-30 minutes until set in the middle (it will puff up, then fall as it cools). Let cool, and refrigerate up to one week. 6 servings, about 375 cals, 3 g carb per serving. Rewarm one serving 45-60 seconds in microwave.

Bacon, red pepper, mushroom Quiche
    To the above recipe, add one small can mushrooms or three to four large sauteed mushrooms and 1/3 cup sauteed red pepper.
  • mjnyx
    mjnyx Posts: 35
    Options
    my breakfast is a protein shake (simply skim milk and a scoop of protein powder) and a small apple. I put my milk and protein powder in a blender bottle and put it in the fridge at night and i can run out the door with it if i'm running behind. I eat my breakfast around 8am and I'm full til lunch which is around 12:30.

What kind of protein powder do you use? I've thought of possibly doing this (especially after workouts) but there are so many different kinds and I'm confused as to which one to get.
  • mjnyx
    Options
    Crustless Quiche Lorraine

6 large eggs
    1 1/4 cup heavy cream
    1/4 tsp sugar (optional)
    1/8-1/4 tsp salt
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    1/3 c. grated onion
    4 oz. grated Swiss cheese
    1/3 cup real bacon crumbles (Hormel)

Whisk the eggs and cream together, add sugar, salt, cayenne pepper. Stir in onion, grated cheese, and bacon. Pour into greased pie plate or quiche pan. Bake at 425F for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 300F and bake for additional 25-30 minutes until set in the middle (it will puff up, then fall as it cools). Let cool, and refrigerate up to one week. 6 servings, about 375 cals, 3 g carb per serving. Rewarm one serving 45-60 seconds in microwave.

Bacon, red pepper, mushroom Quiche
    To the above recipe, add one small can mushrooms or three to four large sauteed mushrooms and 1/3 cup sauteed red pepper.

Thank you! I will try this out, sounds super delicious!
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    There's some good suggestions here but, at the end of the day you just have to change your mindset about being more prepared/getting up earlier.

Mornings I want to run I get up at 4:30am. Other mornings 5:30am. I cook on weekends. Huge pots of cheap dishes - things made with loads of mushrooms or beans usually and then I take it every single day. I'll be honest. I hate preparing my lunches. I hate having to think of something to cook every weekend. It's a giant drag. And I certainly hate getting out of bed so early, especially in winter. But I do it anyway. It's simply the cheapest, healthiest way to eat.
  • mjnyx
    Options
    There's some good suggestions here but, at the end of the day you just have to change your mindset about being more prepared/getting up earlier.

Mornings I want to run I get up at 4:30am. Other mornings 5:30am. I cook on weekends. Huge pots of cheap dishes - things made with loads of mushrooms or beans usually and then I take it every single day. I'll be honest. I hate preparing my lunches. I hate having to think of something to cook every weekend. It's a giant drag. And I certainly hate getting out of bed so early, especially in winter. But I do it anyway. It's simply the cheapest, healthiest way to eat.

Yes, you are right.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I don't have a medical sugar restriction but both of my parents are type 2 diabetic, which means I'll probably be more susceptible if I don't eat well now. I know this is more of an "ask a medical professional" question, but--if I eat completely healthily in every aspect except for the fact that I'm always eating a bit too much sugar, will I still be at greater risk of diabetes?

Also, won't it stall my weight loss to eat larger meals at night and/or to eat too much sugar even though it is fructose?
    [/quote]

No, excess sugar in it's self will not increase your risk for diabetes. Excess carbs will. Any carbs. All carbs. Chocolate to chips to pasta to apples. Everything breaks down into glucose. Your best defense against diabetes is to keep your weight under control. Your second best defense is to eat like you already have the disease.
    But, this is also something best discussed with your doctor, as diabetes is complicated and varied, and you may (or may not) be at increased risk.
  • lsgerman
    lsgerman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Along with nuts I like to add my favorite pie filling (peach). I believe you can get it with no sugar added, but it is probably terribly high in sugar. But then you have no need for sweetner. I used to add Smart Balance, sugar and 2% milk; this is a great alternative.
  • lsgerman
    lsgerman Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do enjoy oatmeal, but I don't like it plain. How do I spice up my oatmeal without adding on too much extra sugar?

I think some people add butter.

To make yummy oatmeal from Old Fashioned Oats...just some things I use....I add 6 whole almonds...for sweetness I use AGAVE necatar or 1 Stevia pack ..I have used 1 teaspoon of sugar free syrup b4..You could always sprinkle some cinnamon over it as well..I like mine creamy soo I mix with skim milk b4 cooking.

Along with nuts I like to add my favorite pie filling (peach). I believe you can get it with no sugar added, but it is probably terribly high in sugar. But then you have no need for sweetner. I used to add Smart Balance, sugar and 2% milk; this is a great alternative.