heavy lifting help please?

Options
so im looking to buy some kind of lifting system for my home..im kinda a beginner what would you recommend...limited space is not a problem...and please dont say just go to the gym because i live about 1 hour from the closest gym,,,

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    oh fun if space is no problem, then get a power cage, an olympic barbell and some weight plates. also a bench.

i've seen these things on craigslist too o you dont have to spend an arm and leg and but new
  • LoganAnthony6
    Options
    Starting strength or Stronglift 5x5 are good programs for beginners that only require minimal equipment. You'd need a barbell, weights and a bench press/squat rack at the most.

You can get away without the squat rack for the first few weeks as well, but you'll eventually come to a point where you're going to need one.
  • jonmico
    jonmico Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Power rack. Bar. Weights. Bench.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    craigslist is your friend - you can get most things for free as long as you pick them up, lots of moms trying to get rid of bench's their kids used before they left the house etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    squat rack, olympic straight bar, pull up bar, and dumbbells...and have at it!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    oh bench too ...:)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    This and an Olympic bar with plates.

http://www.fitnessgiant.com/yoftspoca.html?cvsfa=3612&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=796f667473706f6361&gclid=CI7_4J-Ov7UCFel7QgodfSQAMA#.USG6Q_JS5-U

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    oh fun if space is no problem, then get a power cage, an olympic barbell and some weight plates. also a bench.

i've seen these things on craigslist too o you dont have to spend an arm and leg and but new

yep
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Def rack w safety bars and all the other stuff mentioned.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    squat rack, bench press and a barbell...along with the bodylastics resistance bands...they are so good! and way less effective than buying a whole set of dumb bells
  • jelr
    jelr Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    squat rack, bench press and a barbell...along with the bodylastics resistance bands...they are so good! and way less effective than buying a whole set of dumb bells

I think you meant to say "way less expensive"

I have a set of the bodylastics bands and I love them, to a degree. My complaint with them is I am short 5'2'' and the handle portion are rather long so it makes certain moves very awkward for me to get into a position where the resistance is right and I can keep proper form with the bands. i.e. literally standing on the bands 1 inch from where they clip and they still come up to my hips at no tension. Not great for bent over/squat type resistance moves which makes compound exercises (atleast that's what I call them, but I am no professional) difficult/impossible. My husband is taller so he doesn't have the same issue I do so it really is a height matter.

I also have recently invested in a set of Bowflex SelectTechs. I like them because for me space is an issue and I have small children so when I am done with my weights I make sure they are set at their heaviest so there is no way one of my kids can hurt themselves if they try to mess with the weights.