Indoor Cardio without Equipment (or much space!)

Hi guys and gals,

I'm newish here. I've had two weigh ins and done well both times, but I'd like to keep it up. The weather where I am is back and forth between snow and thunderstorms, so going out isn't an option, and I don't have access to gym equipment. What cardio can I do in my dorm room (read: not much space, a LOT of clutter) that will compensate for the days I cannot go for a walk? I'm very out of shape, but am willing to work.

I prefer workouts that I can see the calories for (rather than sit ups, push ups, etc., where it's really just guessing).

If it matters, I'm female, 20, 5'2", and here for a reason!

Thanks so much!

Replies

• jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Turbojam and then Turbofire.
  • Ohheyits_Sami
    Ohheyits_Sami Posts: 7 Member
    When I started doing cardio I started off with a (google image it, not many people know what these look like) mini cycle that tracked speed, distance, and calories burned. I paid about $80 for mine and I'm really happy with it! It takes up verrrry little space and you can get a pretty decent workout that is easy to track! I know you said no machines, but just a suggestion for something to look into and possibly invest in in the future.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    I've had fun with beachbody videos... I've done the Insanity videos and am now doing Les Mills Combat. I'm not a beach body coach, but just have fun using their videos to cross train with running and lifting. You only need about a 6'x6' space.
  • mom9198
    mom9198 Posts: 83 Member
    I don't know if you have the money or space, but I would be lost without my Wii Fit with balance board. You might also try workout viedeos on YouTube.
  • BioMechHeretic
    BioMechHeretic Posts: 128 Member
    Jogging outside in the snow is an excellent way to get really beneficial workouts. It may be cold but if you invest in some good workout wear you'll warm right up as soon as you start moving. It's also very peaceful when everything is covered in snow, it's a good place to go in your head.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Do you have stairs in your building? Running up and down will up your cardio
  • sp7991
    sp7991 Posts: 20 Member
    Running up stair and down is very useful
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Jumping Jack , Kicks, Mountain Climbers are great option.Workout videos from you tube also helps a lot.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Run the fire stairwell, if your in a 2+ story building that is. Mountain climbers (M100 workout routine), burpees, jumping jacks, jump rope, hooping (hula hoop).
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    8apK2AO.gif

:smile:
  • anikisa
    anikisa Posts: 39 Member
    thedailyhiit.com is a free website that bring very chalenging workouts! they use equipment but they also offer a no equipment alternative :D
  • Hi there. If you're new to working out and don't have a lot of space, I would say try Leslie Sansone's 5-Mile Fat Burn walk. It's low impact (good on the knees) and doesn't require much room. If you want to try it out, I found a place on youtube that has it for free. I use a heart-rate monitor to track my calories. Also, you can work your way up to the full 5 miles at your own pace; she divides each "mile" into their own sections. :drinker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEEOSE5dBo4
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    30 Day Shred is on youtube, highly recommend it. I'm halfway through and already lost around 6 inches. Also just got a Kinect and it is really fun and some things are quite a workout!
  • Lioness108
    Lioness108 Posts: 2 Member
    I don't understand the "see the calories" comment, but this is what I do ...
    30 jumping jacks
    5 pushups
    25 high knees
    7 burpees
    10 crunches
    7 squats
    5 pushups
    10 crunches
    5 pushups
    10 crunches
    5 pushups
    7 squats
    30 jumping jacks
    1 minute wall sit
    5 pushups
    25 high knees
    repeat 2-3 times

Looks easy enough, right. If I repeat it twice, my skin is damp and my heart rate is up there, 3 times and I'm sweating and darn near about to collapse. :) I am very out of shape, my body trembles and I'm winded quickly, but I enjoy this circuit.

I like to browse workouts on Pinterest. There are lots of great workouts you can find on there.
  • 8apK2AO.gif

:smile:

^^^THIS^^^
  • I appreciate all of your suggestions! Here are a few things I feel the need to clarify:

*I do not have the funds to purchase a machine of any sort, including one to monitor my heart rate.

*"Seeing" the calories means there is a reliable place online in which I can type in my activity and receive an output of calories burned (again, because I cannot afford a personal device to track my activity).

*I have a Kinect, and love it, but my dorm room is too small for it.

*I know it's silly, but I prefer to do my workouts in private, so I don't want to be out in my building. I either am in my room, or as far from campus as is reasonably possible with the level of my gas tank and the time I'm going to spend working out.

*My MAXIMUM space is 4 feet x 4 feet, and that's IF I move things. Things that take more space than that aren't things I can do.

I appreciate all of the suggestions that have been made. Hopefully they will keep coming!
  • HI! I am in a similar situation. I can not afford a calorie tracker. I can go outside but, I just don't like to run, and walking is boring for me, so I come up with ways to excercise indoors. I am in a smaaaallllll space, and I can not jump around in it, so this is what I do:

I picked up a Callanetics book in the thrift store. My mom had done it and I enjoy it, though I don't see many physical results, I am sure it is helping. (It is named after the author, Callan Pinckney.) Maybe you could find one of those. The exercise takes verrry little space. There are also VHS, and DVD's for sale on Amazon for it.

I also do walk in place, or march in place (very effective).

I sit on the floor, legs out and "row", it gets my heart rate up, for sure.

I practice hackysack sometimes.

Stretching counts on here, and so does cleaning.

If you know a line dance, you may have enough to do it. (I know one and I have just enough room.)

And I understand how it is difficult when the Strength Training input doesn't have the calorie output included. If you do strength training, and want to log it, go to cardio and select strength training. There are also particular strength training like sit-ups and vigorous push-ups under cardio, too, where it will log the calories burned.

Blessings, and I hope this helps!!
  • Oh! and there's also lunges, leg circles (I do 10 clockwise and 10 counterclockwise, front, side and back), arm circles, squats and leg raises.
    Most of that could probably be logged in as calisthenics, or strength training.
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    If you already have the Wii, there is a great Zumba video for it, Zumba Core. It comes with a belt for the Wii remote, and it tracks your movements and tells you how much calories you have burned.