Help please? Polar FT7 HRM Newbie :)

Options
2»

Replies

• rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Log all your settings correctly like body weight, height, age and most importantly DONT FORGET TO START IT before your workout lol Im terrible for not doing that.
    A squillion times, this!
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    I love mine! Good choice. I love adjusting my strap smaller and smaller, it shows progress. My advice is when you wet the strap, use warm water and lots of it. Otherwise its painfully cold!

I didn't even think to use warm water. lol! Thanks :)

Crikey, neither did I! I have been using hrm on and off for years and have just winced when I put the strap on. Every day is a school day!
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yeah definitely warm water! Every so often I forget and th chill is enough to make me remember next time.
  • jaygreen55
    jaygreen55 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Log all your settings correctly like body weight, height, age and most importantly DONT FORGET TO START IT before your workout lol Im terrible for not doing that.

SEE! LMAO

And don't forget to turn it off when you finish

Also I find that my HRM (a 2005 vintage F11) is very generous in it's calorie count so I took 10 percent of my weight (160 instead of 177) to make sure I don't overestimate calories burned through excercise
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options

SEE! LMAO

And don't forget to turn it off when you finish

Also I find that my HRM (a 2005 vintage F11) is very generous in it's calorie count so I took 10 percent of my weight (160 instead of 177) to make sure I don't overestimate calories burned through excercise

I think I may have to do the same. It seems a little generous on the calories so far. We'll take it for a few more spins. Thanks
  • susannahsutton1
    Options
    Generous compared to what? Hrm will be the most accurate way to measure. All other ways are based on averages of average people.

Don't forget though it gives you gross calories burned. So let's say you do an hours exercise, hrm says you have burned 500 calories. Some of those calories you would have burned anyway as part of your bmr, let's say 100. So you need to subtract those from the exercise calories.
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Generous compared to what? Hrm will be the most accurate way to measure. All other ways are based on averages of average people.

Don't forget though it gives you gross calories burned. So let's say you do an hours exercise, hrm says you have burned 500 calories. Some of those calories you would have burned anyway as part of your bmr, let's say 100. So you need to subtract those from the exercise calories.

absolutely correct about gross calories burned! must subtract the calories you would have burned anyway for that hour of exercise if you were not exercising.

and while yes, HRMs are the most accurate, there is still margin for error. it uses a formula based on estimates. i personally still subtract 25% off whatever number it gives me. i'd rather underestimate my calories burned than overestimate.
  • kiwi2006
    kiwi2006 Posts: 15
    Options
    So glad that I found this. I just ordered my FT7, excited for it to arrive now! Thanks for the awesome tips :)
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    z