Natural Fibre

Options
I usually manage to get my MFP-allocated dose of fibre a day, but I struggle to get near the recommended 30g a day.

Am I missing any amazing fibre-foods?
I eat stuff like oatmeal with raisins for breakfast, bananas, apples, vegetables, peanut butter. I eat wholegrain bread.
I eat canned legumes occasionally (once a week or so, any more seems to upset my stomach) and fresh peas a few times a week.

I'm not interested in fibre supplements, nor things like fibre bars/cereals - they're expensive, not to mention that I'd rather get it in naturally.
Please, no suggestions of branded products as I WILL NOT be able to get them here.

If it comes down to just eating more seasonal fruits& veges then so be it, but wondering if there's anything I'm missing.

If you want to look at my diary, today (Monday 24th) is a pretty typical sort of day, rather than the weekends I miss logging a lot of stuff as I don't get online.

Replies

• kslagle1980
    kslagle1980 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try ground flax seed- you can put a tablespoon or two in your oatmeal- you won't notice it and it packs a wallop of fiber!
  • hannah_lin
    hannah_lin Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm a fiber nut--
    fiberfuls from trader joes are 50 cals w/ 6 grams of fiber--
    strawbery fruit bars from target are 110 and have 4 grams of fiber--
    whole wheat pasta has a lot
    quinoa has a lot
    lentils and lentil soup have a ton
    pumpkin seeds are great for fiber
    ... if I think of more i'll post later. :)
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Nuts? I know almonds have 4g of fiber in 1 oz (about 24 almonds).

My goal is 30g too. I find that the more fruit I eat the closer I get, but I don't always get in all my servings
    I eat 2-3 servings of whole grains and that helps but 30 can be tough!
  • KatieM7
    KatieM7 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I eat soynuts and they have quite a bit. I started to get them to help bump up the calories when I needed more but wasn't feeling hungry.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with this before putting in a concerted effort to get more fiber when I started tracking, nods.
    I get mine from:
    > Oats (I eat the Hubbards golden sunrise oats with linseed, almond and sunflower seed--brand names I can give you, hehe).
    > Green beans
    > Hummus
    > Bread (I just tried the signature range soy and linseed bread; it has around 6.5g fiber for two slices. Very nice, actually)
    > Frozen berries (blackberries and raspberries have mega fiber)
    > Quinoa
    > Fresh fruit like pears or apples or bananas
    > Mixed veggies with dinner
    > Baked beans

I don't get enough fiber on the weekends, but I usually do well on weekdays when I plan more carefully (some days I go over 40g and have to remember to drink enough water to make it all go down). I think I'm over 30g on my diary today.

Edited to add: Oh, and popcorn has fiber :)
  • hannah_lin
    hannah_lin Posts: 54
    Options
    Ah! I forgot one-- raspberries are AMAZING for this!!
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Options
    I couldn't find those oats in my CD, for some reason I went there thinking they were Harraway's, but those still weren't there as Hubbard's cos I ended up with different Hubbard's ones after checking out the panel on just about every single box LOL (whole grain with vanilla for 7g) most were around 3g. It's actually pretty yum, if a bit... chewy. Maybe I need to nuke it longer next time. :laugh:

Canned berries would be similar in the fibre department wouldn't they? some canned berries in a muffin sounds like a bit of me.

I don't understand how they say the average american gets about 14g of fibre a day, when I have to make some real concious decisions and go out of my way to manage 20g? I mean, when you think about the average diet (and even looking through some people's diaries on here), I just can't see how 14g would happen. 4g, maybe...
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    1/2 avacado has something like 7grams. Artichoke hearts have a lot..Strohmanns makes a double fiber bread as well with 5 grams per slice.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Also my food diary is public if you want to look, I track fiber and I'm usually way over around 40 grams a day
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Also my food diary is public if you want to look, I track fiber and I'm usually way over around 40 grams a day

Same here. Feel free to poke around on my diary. I'm probably closer to 25-30 most days, but I'm expecting that to increase as the farmer's markets and CSA deliveries get underway!

It sounds like you know the basics. It might be just a matter of upping your vegetable intake. At least that is going to be the biggest "bang for your buck" in terms of high fiber, low cal. It's too bad that beans upset your stomach because those are so great for fiber.