Fat girl+short hair=Not so terrifying!

Options
How many of you ladies out there love the latest cute, funky short haircuts but are apprehensive about getting them because of the whole "fat girls can't have short hair'' perception? I recently chopped off my hair (I had dreadlocks) even though I was scared out of my mind, and have never felt better! Easy, and pretty, with a little bit of '****-you' thrown in for luck... Yes please.

Replies

• piratemerdi
    piratemerdi Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I wound up cutting my hair a few months back because it was over-processed from hair dye, but I actually really like it. Much less maintenance, and if it's cut right, I think short hair cuts can be very flattering on almost any face shape.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that perception.

Short hair just doesn't suit me.
  • DrBentonQuest
    Options
    For what it is worth, the chop cut suits you so much better than [I presume] dreadlocks did. I actually find it to be a very becoming look for you.

It is interesting that this post came up today, as I was just having this very discussion with an acquaintance from this site earlier today. I am encouraging her to go for it.

I think the idea that pixie cuts don't work on body types is a misconception; rather, it is more about facial structure. Short hair emphasizes the eyes and cheekbones, particularly. So longer faces look kind of washed out with short hair. Round faces should keep a little bit of volume on top.

Anyways, I'm not a professional stylist or anything. But I am definitely a proponent of the cut for women who have defining cheekbones [or are always smiling]. Congrats on getting the cut.
  • sabimausl85
    sabimausl85 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    i m big boned and have short hair ;)
  • CaliforniaSweetheart
    Options
    You look so cute! I love it on you :)
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    It looks wonderful!
  • navywendy00
    Options
    I just chopped all my hair off last week into a long pixie style cut. I love it. I have always had short hair (military). I get a cut I like. Some people look at none weird but I don't care. I like it and my bf likes it ago that's all that matters
  • sabimausl85
    Options
    thanks yall for the compliments ;)
  • Sambytheway82
    Options
    love my short hair :drinker: you all look great xx
  • ThinAgain46
    Options
    I just had this conversation with my hubby last night. I want to get my hair cut short but I have this same fear - think I'm too big for short hair and will look like a pin-head. I typically wear my hair up anyway - I guess I think it makes me look like I have more body to my thin hair. It's a security blanket, I know.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I never heard about short hair and "fat" girls not getting along. I know several bigger girls who look adorable and/or sexy with short cuts...:love:
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    My hair just doesn't grow past a certain length and it is really fine (my French genes). The bob is the only hairstyle that suits me and I have tried many. I think I will have it till I die. I think it is definitely a facial structure and texture of hair thing and not whether it looks good on fat girls or not. Short hair suits some but not others but as we get older, long hair suits less and less people in my opinion. You have to find what works for you as anything else. I personally think dread locks are not attractive and your hair style now is adorable. Change is good!!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I just had this conversation with my hubby last night. I want to get my hair cut short but I have this same fear - think I'm too big for short hair and will look like a pin-head. I typically wear my hair up anyway - I guess I think it makes me look like I have more body to my thin hair. It's a security blanket, I know.

I think you are beautiful whichever hairstyle you choose. You have beautiful facial features and a beautiful smile. The great thing about hair is that is always grows back if you don't like it and there are many styles to choose from so experimentation can be really fun.
  • haycock86
    Options
    Back in September I had a mental breakdown and hacked of my long hair with scissors aka my britney spears moment. I then had to shave it off to even it out. I too was worried about having really short hair and being fat so I took to wearing a hat for months. Since my hair has now grown a little I've started to embrace it and gone outside without a hat on. I had so many lovely comments and I now love my short hair. I've not decided yet if I want to grow it back long.
  • LuckyMiss3
    Options
    my nose is to big for short hair. but i think a crop can be very flattering on any shape.
  • Really glad to hear that most of you think that anyone can rock short hair- I must have been hanging out with the wrong people or something, because almost everyone I know told me that chubby chicks shouldn't go the short route. And I have to say that the girls who replied to this post proved them wrong! You all look absolutely gorgeous with your crops :)
  • sabimausl85
    Options
    love my short hair :drinker: you all look great xx

yes, your hair looks good on you. like it!
  • sabimausl85
    Options
    Back in September I had a mental breakdown and hacked of my long hair with scissors aka my britney spears moment. I then had to shave it off to even it out. I too was worried about having really short hair and being fat so I took to wearing a hat for months. Since my hair has now grown a little I've started to embrace it and gone outside without a hat on. I had so many lovely comments and I now love my short hair. I've not decided yet if I want to grow it back long.

i love your hair, dont grow it back!
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    not me. I'll always keep mine long.
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    I go back and forth with mine, but I love mine short! And I don't think I look like a man or anything :laugh: Am in the process of growing it out...just for the sake of something new :)